real time web analytics
Report - - Horeb Brickworks, Carmarthenshire - August 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Horeb Brickworks, Carmarthenshire - August 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
This is one of the many sites I visited recently whilst on an exploring trip in South Wales. It’s been on my to-do list for a while and although it’s only a simple little place I was really keen to do it. Note: This is a re-post following the deletion of the original thread from a few months ago.

History
Nestled alongside a public footpath/cycleway on the edge of Carmarthenshire-based village, Horeb, lies an old brickworks site which is being taken over by nature at an expeditious rate.

The site opened in 1907 alongside the Llanelly and Mynydd Mawr railway line which, as mentioned above, is now a cycleway. The works began as the Blackthorn Brick Company, later becoming Eclipse Brickworks and finally Horeb Brick Company until its closure in the late sixties.

A highlight of this particular site is that it has one of the last remaining near-complete examples of a Hoffmann Kiln in the United Kingdom. Due to this, the site is a scheduled monument and the kiln itself is Grade II listed.

Vandalism is minimal with the exception of a large graffiti tag at the base of the chimney, and piles of beer cans in part of the kiln.

In addition to the kiln and the 30-metre high chimney stack, the site also boasts the remains of an engine house and a small administration block which is a shell, but still boasts the odd recognisable feature or two such as an old fireplace and chimney.

The Explore
My visit to this site was very relaxed, parking was difficult but managed to find a spot about a ten-minute walk up the road. Even though it's quite a simple place, I really enjoyed my visit here and if I was in the area in future I would be keen to visit again. It would be nice to see it in the winter when the overgrowth isn’t quite as towering.

The Photos
Starting off with the chimney...
1.jpg

Various shots of the Hoffmann Kiln...
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

11.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Old fireplace and chimney from the ruined admin block...
12.jpg

I believe this to be the old boiler house...
10.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Was right near this a while back but struggled to find anywhere to park so didnt bother with it lol. shame really its quite nice

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks may do one ay but its 150m from me. Tbh if we had more time would of parked further away & walked but were rushing around as usual
Haha I resonate with that. During urbex road trips I'm always rushing around to fit in as many places as possible. The more overnight stays the more expensive it gets, the cost of fuel is bad enough!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cracking photos, that Hoffman is in far better nick than the one in Ilkeston!
Thanks! Yeah I've seen pics of that one and it definitely isn't in the best shape. Think this one is a little less known and due to the location it doesn't get visited often.

Who has read this thread (Total: 177) View details