real time web analytics
Report - - HSBC, formerly Midland Bank, Leicester - May 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HSBC, formerly Midland Bank, Leicester - May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
"An opportunity missed is one lost forever" or so they say. So there I am, digesting a Spoons brekko in my suit, shiny shoes and hat with two hours to go before Dave's funeral. Walking back to the hotel and I'm pointing out the finer examples of Leicester's architecture.

"Nice bank that" I pointed out the imposing gothic redbrick bank on the corner of the street. I knew inside was special, I had drawn money out inside a few years previous. "I've looked, but no way inside". "Urrrrm, except that the door is open!!" Giving it a gentle shove we found that it was indeed open.

A plan was hastily formed. We went back to the hotel, OT an Styru went on to collect the wreath and Laura and I returned with compact in hand, and sure enough the door was still ajar!!

Upon entering, we heard the banging and crashing of workmen, but they were on an upper floor, so we started low, in the vaults. Well, there didn't seem to be any vaults as such, more of a cellar, which did yield a rather fine gas lamp still fixed to the wall.

Of course the main event was the main banking hall, which boasts beautiful stained glass, carved stonework, a stunning glass ceiling and a large wooden cased clock made by the folks responsible for Big Ben's movement.

Up again revealed posh corridors and more lavish offices with plasterwork and stained glass. By this point I was rather blase about getting caught so ventured up to the next floor, where I met an angry roofer who pretty much threw me out by my suit lapel!:p:

Nice to see something new :) I'm sure Dave would have been proud I crammed in a new Leic site just before he was laid rest.

IMG_0274Custom.jpg

IMG_0276Custom.jpg

IMG_0277Custom.jpg

IMG_0237Custom.jpg

IMG_0238Custom.jpg

IMG_0239Custom.jpg

IMG_0240Custom.jpg

IMG_0242Custom.jpg

IMG_0243Custom.jpg

IMG_0245Custom.jpg

IMG_0246Custom.jpg

IMG_0247Custom.jpg