real time web analytics
Report - - Hulme Flume (Upgraded), Manchester 2013-2014. | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hulme Flume (Upgraded), Manchester 2013-2014.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Hulme Flume (Upgraded), Manchester 2013-2014.

1.jpg

I won't be about in Manc for the foreseeable so thought I'd stick this up, as aside for a quick sweep up and some remedial finishing the jobs done :thumb

A recent overhaul has seen the Irwell Storm Relief Culvert (a.k.a Hulme Flume) intersected near to it's existing outfall

Below ground, a sizeable filtration system has been installed..

The proposed solution is quite straight forward here, addressing 3 Unsatisfactory Intermittent Discharges from the Work 9, Outfall A & B sewers within the Hulme area

A sizeable below ground screening chamber has been constructed, consisting of 3 x 3m escalated screens to remove solids in excess of 6mm from the flow prior to discharge into the River Irwell

These screened solids are retained and returned by gravity to the adjacent sewer

The chosen site location was largely down to sufficient land available to screen the combined flows from the 3 UID's at one location, and also minimising disruption looking at some of the early proposals that weren't rubber stamped

It was good to finally see this project completed, although I didn't find it anywhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the similar setup over at SSSI

See below, How to flush£7 million quid down the toilet :rolleyes:

2.jpg

Residents of "The Rainy City" know all about the Irwell and the Manchester Ship Canal, but there's a secret watercourse buried under the heart of Manchester that is all set for a massive makeover

The brick-lined drain under Chester Road carries up to 12 tonnes of rainwater a second away from the city centre

Dating back to the turn of the last century, prevents roads, homes and businesses from being flooded, United Utilities says it needs £7m to bring it up to date

The water company plans to build an underground chamber the size of a warehouse around the brick structure

It will house 3 metre tall screens to strain out the rubbish and sanitary litter that would otherwise end up in the Manchester Ship Canal

Work finally started mid 2013 and was supposed to be finished by December 2014..

What a surprise they still haven't completed the work above ground (landscaping and such)

These lads sure know how to "work hard behind the scenes"

Every time I've poked my head in they've been busy enjoying a safety brew, and no wonder the project ran beyond it's deadline

Maybe UU ought to stick pics of cranes & excavators on their hoarding instead of a brew, as it appears these lads have had more breaks than Steve Davis :p:

3.jpg

I've had a few out of hours strolls of my own here whilst it was under construction too

The site has been a bone of contention for me, namely adverse weather.. Welcome to Manchester twinned with precipitation!!

If 12 tonnes of rainwater coming at you doesn't sound like sport, neither does having to swiftly leave the site empty handed :(

In fairness, there wasn't a great deal to see until the project was coming to a close on this one, they didn't 'break into' the existing overflow until lastminute.com

Work, Rain, Work and a metric fuck tonne of Rain later...

One afternoon whilst on my commute home, I decided to take a detour and have another sniff in

A temporary shaft had appeared just off Chester road and dropped right into the flume

Conveniently, it was just outside the compound and was a doddle, as quick as you could say Lickety Split I was back in town under the cover of darkness

The heavens once again decided to open, and now secca had clocked me FFS!

Not to be deterred, I returned a couple of nights later from another piece of the system and re-united myself once more with the downstream stretch of filth

4.jpg

Pikey sewer, by Nickindroy :thumb

18.jpg

Winding down towards St. George's, the levels started to rise, knee deep in arse soup I had to somehow remain silent as I trudged on below the compound :confused

The previous 48 hours had seen it belt down, the temporary pumps appeared to be working here unlike SSSI, and was about as fresh as it could possibly get

5.jpg

Obtaining pics on follow up trips as work progressed proved a struggle as the place had more steam than Ivor the engine!

A short while later I checked in again to see what's what

7.jpg

The screening chamber was now covered and the escalated screens had since been installed,
along with the associated plumbing to return screened debris back to the nearby sewer

Also, the temporary dam had now been removed, leaving the original overflow almost dry again

The primary overflow chamber downstream of the first dissection of the flume

8.jpg

Beyond which,
the escalated screens and a smaller penstock on the right allow excess spill flows at capacity to enter the detention tank and continuation of the existing relief culvert

6a.jpg

On follow up trips, the upstream penstocks had been isolated independently during commissioning of the system

The screens were doing a grand job of holding the rags & lady plasters back :thumb

9a.jpg

9.jpg

Beyond the relief penstock, you can see evidence of the original brick invert

10.jpg

This leads to the secondary overflow chamber behind the screens, which also doubles up as a detention tank

12a.jpg

Equipped with duty/standby launder pumps located within a small sump (far right), allowing waste water to be retained and pumped back to the nearby sewer

11a.jpg

Each screening channel contains a single 3m escalator screen rated @ over 4,000 l/sec capacity, together with upstream penstocks to enable the screens to be isolated independently

12.jpg

Outlet to Irwell/Ship Canal

10a.jpg

We decided it wasn't a good idea poking about on the upper level on earlier trips here and throwing lumen's about

It was a while later before we returned to look in on the *completed system

*(All that remained was some finishing of the cofferdam and remedial work with some of the upper GRP and a general sweep up)

That, and the above ground landscaping the system has now been run up, I decided to take one last look in before I pissed off..

Inlet

Automated penstocks (left) regulate the forward flow through the bifurcation chamber

14.jpg

One of the 3m escalated screens, used to filter the solids

15.jpg

The upper gantry allows access for inspection and maintenance of the screens and associated ancillaries

16.jpg

The stepped walkways allow further access between the upper reaches of the pentocks/screens and associated gubbins

17.jpg

And finally the sump..

Untouched and the final encounter with the flume before it outfalls a good 140m submerged below a point where the River Irwell becomes the Manchester Ship Canal

13.jpg

Shouts to Nickindroy :thumb

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Spotted 'arse soup' and 'fresh' - marks deducted for not mentioning 'fanny plasters'

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really enjoyed seeing and reading this report, gravity sorting lumps of tish kinda conjures up horrific images in my mind, lovely images and a great write up : thumb

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Excellent stuff, as ever and many titters along the way. Did you not get an invite to the Christmas do then? :D