real time web analytics
Report - - Infiltrating Warsaw Metro Line 2 - Warsaw - Poland - November 2013 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Infiltrating Warsaw Metro Line 2 - Warsaw - Poland - November 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
Visited solo.

It was just another crazy night in Warsaw. After climbing the Holy Cross Bridge, still full of adrenaline, I decided to check out Warsaw Metro 2 line.
I had it planned for ages. I spent hours checking out capitol live view cameras, some of them are showing metro building sites. Asked few friends to go and try to find the most possible access, searched internet for news regarding the construction.
And finally I was there, on the busy, weekend night. Alone, with no idea how I gonna make it. I got in contact with some Polish explorers, hoping that they tried to get inside the tunnels, but all info I got was that the workers and security are on site 24/7, and it’s impossible to avoid them.
Oh well it didn’t look good.

Some info about Warsaw Metro Line 2

Line 2: the first, central section will consist of 7 stations: Rondo Daszyńskiego, Rondo ONZ, Świętokrzyska, Nowy Świat, Powiśle, Stadion and Dworzec Wileński. It will pass under the Vistula river between the Powiśle and Stadion stations. Most of the funding for building this section has been secured from the European Union and construction started in August 2010. The original plan to finish this section in time for Euro 2012 was too optimistic, and the expected completion date is Fall of 2014. This line will be built using a different boring technology which should allow for much faster construction, compared to the first line. The rest of the line, which will consist of 28 stations in total, will be built later. A tender was opened for 35 trains (most to be used on line 2, some on line 1); Škoda Transportation and Vagonmash submitted the lowest price,but Siemens/Newag scored more points and were chosen to provide the trains.

Przechwytywanie1-1024x494_zps874bd7fb.jpg

I started looking for the way in by the ONZ Roundabout (C10 on the map) , just because it was the nearest station to the Central Train Station, where I had my stuff left in the locker. And also it wasn’t far from the point where both lines cross (by C11 on the map) – new and old one, where I wanted to check line1 (live) access.
It took me ages to find the way in. Workers were everywhere, construction site was well lit up and every section had security huts by the gates or in the middle. At some point I found a quiet looking one, jumped over the fence run towards the shaft and then heard some noises coming from the hole, still hoping for no workers down there took two quick shots to find out what’s happening below me and unfortunately it was a no go. As you can see on the pics – digger was in operation :)

IMG_5369a_zpsb51d22ab.jpg

IMG_5368a_zpse16e8adf.jpg

Finally I found another section (half way between C12 and C13 on the map), with few workers operating a huge concrete mixer, but far enough from the scaffold which took me down below the street level. My heart was pounding like crazy when I climbed down the stairs, still hearing workers above me. Few levels down I was inside the tunnels. I made it, but soon after I realised how mad was my plan.

Two level below the street level :

IMG_5370a_zps91a17be8.jpg

IMG_5371a_zps399ba429.jpg

It all felt so surreal, tunnels looked just beautiful.

IMG_5377a_zps927df0f4.jpg

IMG_5376a_zps421a9916.jpg

Totally overwhelmed I walked towards the lines crossing, where I hoped to find the way into line 1. And well it was there, few sensors and which was worse – workers on tracks.
I spent over 5 hours walking down the tunnels, taking photos and admiring the place. Had to crawl to avoid the workers - few sections were quite busy.

That's how my journey looked like:

Miles of tunnels:

IMG_5420a_zps3a359202.jpg

IMG_5419a_zps23ea1504.jpg

IMG_5404a_zps060a2885.jpg

IMG_5441a_zpsf536fe6a.jpg

Different sections:

IMG_5395a_zps8b7921cb.jpg

IMG_5421a_zpsddad2b8c.jpg

IMG_5445a_zpsb9a8fd3a.jpg

<3 diggers and all sort of machines <3

IMG_5397a_zps2e7a9a1b.jpg

IMG_5446a_zpsbfe3f862.jpg

IMG_5426a_zpsf367ce30.jpg

IMG_5439a_zpscb4531f4.jpg

IMG_5431a_zps15663b4f.jpg

And I met a bunny there​

IMG_5389a_zps61d542d9.jpg

One of the best parts of my journey was actually taking page 3 shots, I was tired, stressed and must admit a bit tipsy (had 2-3 beers already) so thought – why not :) It was a bit disturbing cause I could hear the workers working not far from me...

As I said before it was a mad plan to enter this busy, live site and it was only a question of time when I would get trapped in there. And I did...I was already by the other site of Vistula river (between C13 and C14) when I saw workers in the front of me, in the tunnel. I turned back, and already in panic I started walking , still hoping that I would be able to get to the place where I climbed down the scaffold.
I desperately tried to calm myself down, and I was sort of fine until first I heard a motor noise and then I saw truck lights coming towards me. And I was still in the tunnel. And the only way to avoid the truck was to get to the section I crawled past before to avoid some workers. It took me about 10 maybe even 5 minutes to leave the tunnels, the longest minutes in my life hahahaha. I just didn’t stop, walked past the totally confused workers, somebody asked me – what am I doing there – and I said – well I’m leaving, didn’t want them to ask me anymore questions, didn’t want to run, just want to finally feel the fresh air. And I made it, I don’t really know how. And I filmed my way out, from the moment I saw the truck in the tunnel. I thought that it wouldn't be possible to leave, but I still had to try...

Here is my Iphone movie, my whole body was shaking, so it’s not the best quality.

Metro W - YouTube

So I'm doing it for the thrill :)

Enjoy.