real time web analytics
Report - - Ironbridge 'B' Power Station, Shropshire - December 2019 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ironbridge 'B' Power Station, Shropshire - December 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History (copied from my previous report)
Construction of the first power station at Ironbridge began in 1929 and when completed contained four 50MW turbines manufactured by British Thomson Houston. This became know as ‘Ironbridge A’ when construction of a second, much larger station began in 1963. Due to faults with the machinery in the new station, Ironbridge ‘A’ continued to produce electricity well after the ‘B’ station was completed, finally shutting down in 1978 and demolished shortly after, despite attempts to preserve the complex as an industrial museum.
Ironbridge ‘B’ was one of the many large stations commissioned by the CEGB in the 1960s at a time when electricity demand was dramatically increasing and was to be equipped with two 500MW units. Due to delays in construction, the new power station didn’t reach full capacity until the second unit went online in February 1970. The building is a near identical copy of its slightly earlier ‘parent’ station at Eggborough, although half the size and built in a much more challenging landscape. A considerable amount of care was taken in the design process to ensure the new buildings enhanced its fine natural surroundings, most notably of which is the cooling towers to which a red pigment was added to match the colour of the local soil. The power station opted out of the Large Combustion Plant Directive in 2008, forcing it to close by the end of 2015, or after 20,000 hours of generation. In 2012 the station was modified to run on 100% biomass, resulting in the replacement of most of the pulverising fuel mills and reduced the total capacity by around 260MW. In February 2014 a fire seriously damaged unit 1 generator, caused by one of the turbine blades failing, instantly stopping the turbine running 3,000rpm. Thankfully no one was injured but it was decided the damage would not be repaired and the station closed on 20th November 2015. Despite much local support, English Heritage shamefully refused to have the unique cooling towers listed and they were demolished on Friday 7th December 2019. What really pisses me off is how English Heritage also refused to give listed status to Didcot A, citing better examples of power station buildings and settings elsewhere. Yet fuck-all post-war power stations have been listed, none of which could have been more suitable then Ironbridge.

The explore
Visited with prettyvacant. I was really keen to visit Ironbridge to watch the demolition of the cooling towers. I was initially worried I may not be able to make it as the announcement for demolition was originally only going to be two days before, but thankfully they changed the announcement to a week in advance. We were really lucky with the weather at the time of demolition as it had been rather wet earlier in the day. Talking to some of the crowd, they all said they were sad to see such iconic buildings reduced to rubble and its such a shame more wasn't done to get at least one of the cooling towers saved. It wouldn't have been so bad had other examples power station and their cooling towers been preserved elsewhere, but by the time we begin to appreciate these incredible pieces of engineering, there will be nothing left to save.
The following day we explored the main building, where demolition is also now well underway in the turbine hall, with many of the ancillary building already demolished. While inside we had to take cover for about an hour while two guys, both in plain clothes and without any form of PPE strolled around the turbine hall, talking loudly. Yet again I wasted a fair bit of daylight taking a nap but i still managed to cover most of the building.

The Cooling Towers (March 2019)
It would be rude to not include a few more photos of the fine set of cooling towers from earlier in the year

01_DSC2011 3.jpg

02_DSC2018 3.jpg

03_DSC2066 3.jpg

04_DSC2086 3.jpg

Demolition of the Cooling Towers (Friday 6th December at 11am)
We arrived at dawn and spent a while walking around the fields searching for the best viewpoint

_DSC2767 3.jpg

_DSC2811 3.jpg

_DSC2845 3.jpg

_DSC2859 3.jpg

People gathered along the footpath, 40 minutes before demolition

_DSC2869 3.jpg

_DSC2872 3.jpg

_DSC2875 3.jpg

_DSC2886 3.jpg

_DSC2893 3.jpg

_DSC2903 3.jpg

The main building looking very lonely with the cooling towers gone

Last edited:

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The Boiler House Roof
This offered a great view of what is left of the cooling towers

_DSC2925 3.jpg

_DSC2938 3.jpg

_DSC2943 3.jpg

_DSC2951 3.jpg

The Boiler House
I spent a bit longer looking round the boiler house this time and I found it much better then what I remembered, There’s some lovely pipes and stuff when you look a bit closer. Asbestos removal work is currently underway on Unit 2 boiler

_DSC2988 3.jpg

General view of the boiler house interior

_DSC2955 3.jpg

Tanks on the top level

_DSC2985 3.jpg

_DSC2991 3.jpg

_DSC2993 3.jpg

I loved the curves of these pipes

The turbine Hall
Looking a lot different to my previous visit but I love looking at the insides of the turbines once the start pulling them apart

_DSC2960 3.jpg

_DSC2998 3.jpg

Unit one alternator

_DSC3006 3.jpg

_DSC3013 3.jpg

_DSC3027 3.jpg

_DSC3030 3.jpg

Looking down on unit two

_DSC3041 3.jpg

Scrapping of unit one is further underway

_DSC3049 3.jpg

_DSC3079 3.jpg

_DSC3074 3.jpg

_DSC3092 3.jpg

_DSC3117 3.jpg

_DSC3113 3.jpg

The condensers had been cut open before demolition began

_DSC3107 3.jpg

Water feed pump

_DSC3103 3.jpg

Unit two’s turbine rotors

The Control Room
The control room is now pretty well fucked

_DSC3055 3.jpg

_DSC3057 3.jpg

_DSC3059 3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Any idea what causes the discoloration of cooling towers? I have noticed many get black patches during their operational life, and these ones appear to have deteriorated pretty rapidly since they have been out of use.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Any idea what causes the discoloration of cooling towers?
Can't quite remember, but one of the oxides of Sulphur I think. Steam from the towers mixed with flue gases causing localized acid rain?

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Any idea what causes the discoloration of cooling towers? I have noticed many get black patches during their operational life, and these ones appear to have deteriorated pretty rapidly since they have been out of use.
I was suprised to see how dark the bottom half of the cooling towers were on this visit. I imagine the purple colour was lot more prominent this time due to the wet weather and the top half would have been better shielded form the rain. I'm guessing the discolouration may be something to do with algae and stuff finding it easier to settle following closure, both due to lack of maintenance and the surface of the towers being cooler. I suppose also the location of the site plays a part as all the other remaining power stations with cooling towers are located on fairly flat ground and are therefore more exposed to the weather.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's always interesting to see the progress of a buildings demise, so I stole some photos of demolition underway from the Ironbridge Power Station Facebook group. The demolition of the main building is quite unusual here as instead of the usual full gutting of the turbine hall followed by explosive demolition of the structure, here the framework is being taken down by heavy equipment with the concrete turbine plinths still intact

IMG_20200213_214558.jpg

IMG_20200213_214751.jpg

Mid February, demolition of the precipitators

FB_IMG_1589585069244.jpg

Mid May, Control room gone

FB_IMG_1590778210618.jpg

IMG_20200614_124840.jpg

Late May, turbine hall glass removed and roof partly demolished

IMG_20200614_125838.jpg

FB_IMG_1592134634449.jpg

Mid June, turbine hall roof has all gone along with much of the framework. Note the concrete plinths still intact, along with part of the alternator

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1590697106280.jpg
    FB_IMG_1590697106280.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 28