real time web analytics
Report - - Ironbridge 'B' Power Station, Shropshire - June 2019 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ironbridge 'B' Power Station, Shropshire - June 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
_DSC2007 3.jpg

An early morning in March

History
Construction of the first power station at Ironbridge began in 1929 and when completed contained four 50MW turbines manufactured by British Thomson Houston. This became know as ‘Ironbridge A’ when construction of a second, much larger station began in 1963. Due to faults with the machinery in the new station, Ironbridge ‘A’ continued to produce electricity well after the ‘B’ station was completed, finally shutting down in 1978 and demolished shortly after, despite attempts to preserve the complex as an industrial museum.
Ironbridge ‘B’ was one of the many large stations commissioned by the CEGB in the 1960s at a time when electricity demand was dramatically increasing and was to be equipped with two 500MW units. Due to delays in construction, the new power station didn’t reach full capacity until the second unit went online in February 1970. The building is a near identical copy of its slightly earlier ‘parent’ station at Eggborough, although half the size and built in a much more challenging landscape. A considerable amount of care was taken in the design process to ensure the new buildings enhanced its fine natural surroundings, most notably of which is the cooling towers to which a red pigment was added to match the colour of the local soil. The power station opted out of the Large Combustion Plant Directive in 2008, forcing it to close by the end of 2015, or after 20,000 hours of generation. In 2012 the station was modified to run on 100% biomass, resulting in the replacement of most of the pulverising fuel mills and reduced the total capacity by around 260MW. In February 2014 a fire seriously damaged unit 1 generator, caused by one of the turbine blades failing, instantly stopping the turbine running 3,000rpm. Thankfully no one was injured but it was decided the damage would not be repaired and the station closed on 20th November 2015. Despite much local support, English Heritage have refused to have the unique cooling towers listed and demolition is now underway to remove all traces of one of the finest industrial views in Britain.

Screenshot_20190809_194257.jpg

Ironbridge 'A' after completion of the first phase in 1932

The explore
I first visited Ironbridge in March this year but couldn’t do much besides walking around the cooling towers due to demolition workers doing stuff around the main building. It was June when I was finally able to have another go and this time I was able to arrive while it was still dark, allowing a good look around before any workers might turn up. Access turned out to be surprisingly simple, especially considering the amount of effort which had been taken to weld or brick up most of the external entrances. I was relived to find the turbine hall so far untouched by the demolition workers and it was great to see the whole turbine hall filled with golden light at sunrise entering in from walls of glass. It’s a great shame that the building isn’t in the same condition as Eggborough with its PF mills, control room and all units intact as in my opinion it would have been the perfect large power station for preservation. Its setting is stunning and with very strong links to the industrial revolution, the buildings is of a much more manageable size then many of the 500MW stations and its in easy reach of many people. I spent the whole day inside and although I wasted many hours asleep in the control room I managed to see almost everything I wanted to though I had to rush around the admin block as the light was fading though a lot of stripping has already commenced in there.

Turbine hall

_DSC7387 3.jpg

_DSC7411 3.jpg

_DSC7428 3.jpg

_DSC7435 3.jpg

_DSC7446 3.jpg

The boiler house and chimney seen from the roof of the turbine hall

_DSC7475 3.jpg

Fire damaged unit 1 with its alternator removed

_DSC7482 3.jpg

Melted gauges demonstrating the heat of the fire

_DSC7390 3.jpg

Looking towards unit 2

_DSC7389 3.jpg

Unit 2

_DSC7531 3.jpg

Pipes on the intermediate and high-pressure cylinders on unit 2

_DSC7616 3.jpg

Unit 2 from the gantry

_DSC7624 3.jpg

_DSC7642 3.jpg

_DSC7570 3.jpg

One of the water feed pumps on the ground level

_DSC7561 3.jpg

Unit 1 condensers, partly dismantled and showing fire damage to the plinths

_DSC7553 3.jpg

_DSC7546 3.jpg

Control room
Sadly the original control desks were removed in the 90s and replaced by computerized systems but the room is still quite nice

_DSC7500 3.jpg

The original control room with the modern control room situated behind the glass panels to the left

_DSC7513 3.jpg

The modern control room

_DSC7518 3.jpg

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The boiler house
Not very exiting but at least it offered some nice views of the cooling towers

_DSC7655 3.jpg

_DSC7647 3.jpg

_DSC7678 3.jpg

The coal bunkers

_DSC7679 3.jpg

_DSC7668 3.jpg

There were several of these rooms built on top of the coal bunkers

_DSC7656-HDR 3.jpg

The cooling towers from the roof of the coal bunkers

_DSC7662 3.jpg

Precipitators and chimney

_DSC7663 3.jpg

Admin Block
I was a bit late to see the admin block which is now looking rather sorry for itself

_DSC7717 3.jpg

Entrance to the admin block

_DSC7688 3.jpg

The labs were the highlight of the admin block but still past their best

_DSC7689 3.jpg

_DSC7715 3.jpg

Canteen

_DSC7704 3.jpg

Bathhouse

_DSC7718 3.jpg

Bridge to the control room bricked off. Note demolition of transformers to the right at the front of the turbine hall

Externals
These were taken on my first visit in March

_DSC2061 3.jpg

_DSC2074 3.jpg

_DSC1973 3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

The_Raw

Staff member
Nice one. Yes to that rooftop shot and cooling tower shot

@Brewtal we didn't have any trouble whatsoever getting in a few weeks ago so don't cross it off the list. The van drove round a bit outside but was easy enough to avoid

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one. Yes to that rooftop shot and cooling tower shot

@Brewtal we didn't have any trouble whatsoever getting in a few weeks ago so don't cross it off the list. The van drove round a bit outside but was easy enough to avoid
Oh I was not writing it off at all, it's just nice to have prior knowledge of these things haha!