real time web analytics
Report - - Ironbridge Power Station Cooling Towers, October 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ironbridge Power Station Cooling Towers, October 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

D

Dragon_Urbex

This is a rather late report of a now bygone thing... for anyone hoping to explore these towers, they were blown up in December sadly.

Ironbridge is a very historical area in Shorpshire and is named after the Iron Bridge, the world's first iron bridge. The area soon became known as the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution due to all the industry that sprung up there. The first power station was built in the 1920's, of which very little survives today. The second, Ironbridge B, was begun in the 1960's and commissioned in 1969. It was a coal fired station capable of generating 1,000 megawatts via two sets of boilers and turbines. Each unit was equipped with two cooling towers as coolant from the Severn was often unreliable. The four 120 meter tall cooling towers had a pink hue added to the concrete mix so that they would blend into the surrounding landscape (red soil) better.

The explore:

Short answer, blood mission impossible. Parked up at Buildwas Abbey, trudged along the lane by the railway (in Wellington boots I must add, I thought it would be muddy!), hopped over a fence, upa steep hill, down a hill into the coal yard, along in some muddy areas and then into the site itself. Loads of demolition workers there, even though it was a saturday which was stupidly annoying. So... another half an hour of careful scrambling up steep hills and down them then scuttling along a water pipe and we got into the cooling tower section. Again, demolition workers there so we had to be careful. Here are the photos from the day!

DSCN4204.JPG

DSCN4210.JPG

DSCN4211.JPG

DSCN4212.JPG

DSCN4213.JPG

DSCN4215.JPG

DSCN4214.JPG

DSCN4216.JPG

DSCN4207.JPG

Seffy

Staff member
At least you didn't get chased by a persistent guy in a pick-up truck! Good effort getting under these.

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
At least you didn't get chased by a persistent guy in a pick-up truck! Good effort getting under these.

The one with a small sun attached to the roof? He even went razzing about the roads outside the site looking for us!

D

Dragon_Urbex

You say that...! Soon after these photos we accidentally walked our in front of two workers in a Hilux. One of them was a huge great fat bloke with a Northern accent. Was it him? He drove us both out to the main entrance and we had to walk back to Joe's car at Buildwas Abbey. Bloody miles.

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Guess I was lucky... When I went in 2016 there was absolutely nobody there. We left the fire exit unlocked and when we came out it wasn't closed.

Tried and tried to look for signs of life, and didn't hear or see anything.

Bando Exploration

Ins unbekannte wagen
28DL Full Member
I live an hour away from telford so its worth me having a look great work i saw the demolition on YouTube

Who has read this thread (Total: 320) View details