real time web analytics
Report - - Jagger's Outhouse, Dover - Nov. 2010 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Jagger's Outhouse, Dover - Nov. 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DarkDog

Too old to give a f*ck...
28DL Full Member
I was drowned, I was washed up and left for dead
I fell down to my feet, and I saw they bled
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
But it's all right, I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's a gas! gas! gas!

Background

The first public utility to be opened in Dover was the gasworks, operated by the Dover Gas Company, in Trevanion Street in 1823. Gas was created by the burning of coal, and somewhere was needed to store the huge quantities required.

The original harbour was in this area, and natural caves in the cliffs had been utilised by fishermen and smugglers for centuries, and these proved to be ideal for the storage of coal once enlarged.

In 1864, the need for greater quantities of gas to heat and light the town led to a new gasworks being built in Union Road, and the Trevanion Works closed down, the caves reverting to use by fishermen and locals. WW1 & WW2 saw the caves being used as shelters, though not being joined to the rest of the Trevanion network.

As well as the storage of coal, the caves also housed a well, which has now been backfilled with the detritus of 150 years, the layers we sifted through on top contained a great deal of '50s glasswork.

The caves form an enlarged "H" shape, the well being at the head of the right hand side. No graffiti was found other than tally marks on the walls, and everywhere is coated in coal dust.

5246867893_21e504034c_z.jpg
5246869367_b19f35c6fd_z.jpg

5247465598_31e3776298_z.jpg

5246866169_6e55e75224_z.jpg
5247464376_44db786a32_z.jpg

Not the biggest of Dover's underground structures by a long chalk, but a similar feel to Scott's Caves and somewhere that has gone undisturbed for a while.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details