real time web analytics
Report - - Jug Holes - Matlock Jan 2022 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Jug Holes - Matlock Jan 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Jug Holes is Nautral cave system that was mined for fluorspar and lead in the early 20th century.
There is a lower and upper series, the lower series can be accessed by either a tube adit or a shaft around 20m in depth and the upper series can be entered by absailing in from a tree or
walking in the opposite end into a big natural cavern.
We decided to come here straight after a trip to another nearby mine accross the road, We entered through the bottom adit and started the through trip from the lower series to the upper
series via the climbing shaft (one of the most heavily spider infested entrances ive come accross).
this place consists of numerous open calcified chambers followed by nice squeeze sections, one chamber (cant remeber the name) has a lot of real nice curtains and there is still a section
of old rails and a cart.
After climbing out the shaft into the upper series we had a crawl around but this can be explored relativly quickly and after getting through some boulder chokes having a peak at a lost
connection we decided to call it a day.

After climbing up the the second chamber to the right in the lower series i noticed a lot of funky fungi, i tried to get it on camera but it didnt quite pick it up

Having met some other cavers in the lower series they said we could use there handline if we wanted and i was having fun climbing without but i noticed just how many spiders there was and
decided a quick exit was wise

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good to see a new Jugholes report as it doesn't come up that often. Good work. Not done here yet but it looks really interesting. Top work mate...

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good to see a new Jugholes report as it doesn't come up that often. Good work. Not done here yet but it looks really interesting. Top work mate...
Cheers mate, think we may have passed you in the morning at a neighbouring mine'we've left the kettle on' ?

Who has read this thread (Total: 208) View details