real time web analytics
Just hit 30th explore. Is there a 'location sharing' section? (North West England) | New Members Introduction | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Just hit 30th explore. Is there a 'location sharing' section? (North West England)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nyrian

Banned
Banned
Been urbexing around North West England for just over a year and Shakespeare Foundry was our 30th successful explore last weekend. (Not counted the number of failed explores ....)

Im hugely grateful to the members on the urbex sites for their in depth reports and I've run into a few of you by accident at actual sites and traded information. But I'm old and limited in the number of sites I can climb into!

I would be very happy to exchange what I know of sites I've already done such as access points. I totally understand it would be a bad idea to have a public section with that information. But I could really use some new locations if any of you know some.

For example, I know a really easy fence gap for the massive factory by menses Park in Wigan - if someone can tell me where on earth the Ww2 BUNKER access is in that park!!

Thanks again everyone for the helped development of our excellent father/daughter bonding hobby. And I pray the urbex gods keep you safe.

Nyrian

Banned
Banned
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I've used the search bar alot. Been a member for about a year. And like I said, I'm very very very thankful for the reports members have done. But I've really only visited sites that have already been reported on. So in those already existing reports I will add information such as whether it has been demolished, new security, old access blocked, etc. But I don't create a new report for those already reported on. I though that would get confusing?

I was trying to get help with the ones I haven't got into yet either because I'm struggling to find the specific location or access point. That's what I was looking to exchange, which I assumed would only be via private message. So that was what my post was about. -- e.g. I know a good access point for the menses factory. I would like to exchange that with someone who might know where the access is for the ww2 bunker near the park. That sort of thing.

I wasn't asking for people to give me a list of new locations to try. I already have a bunch waiting to be done or failures. (Looked for that ww2 think 3x now.) I also have conversations with other members. But I'd specifically like to connect with some more members in the North West to share information. If that's frowned upon in this forum then I apologise.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
30th explore? you've got no reports,
i'm very sorry but we don't share locations, trade information on the forum,
try using the search bar at the top right of the page.
100% what Stranton said. And this ain't no urbex 'swap shop'.

Nyrian

Banned
Banned
100% what Stranton said. And this ain't no urbex 'swap shop'.

That doesn't make sense. You agree with stranton's comment then contradict it? So I need to share my explores publicly with everyone on the forum ... but this isn't a place to share explores with each other??

The 'location sharing' in my thread title was obviously in quotes for a reason. If you read the post, I was trying to suggest a new type of locked section where people can exchange access points. Maybe based on a trust score or something built up from contributions to the forum? I don't know. It was an idea.

But (again, if you bother to read my post) I clearly also said that I absolutely agree people shouldn't share such things publicly on the forums. So why are there half a dozen posts telling me something I already said first? Did people see the word 'share' in the title, guess, then pile in? Although it's the feet-first fawning admirers frantically clapping those comments that weirded me out most. It's depressing to see. Makes me feel like an old man watching a bunch of kids in a tree house screaming 'you can't come into our super secret club!'

I just like interesting places and it's something my daughter actually wants to spend time doing with me. That's my motivation. This isn't some secret society role playing game for me. I don't have the years left to visit each location several times looking for gaps or ending up burning 2 days of meds in one afternoon after a bad explore. My post was trying to make connections with people in my area and offering an idea for a new section that might make all our urbexing much more time-and-energy-efficient.

But I've got a feeling that even after saying that for a third time, there will still be another few posts patting previous posters on the back and telling me how wrong I am for not using the search function.... Despite that having zero to do with anything I wrote.....

Nyrian

Banned
Banned
Create a new report, it’s what everyone else does. It helps document the changing history of the places and let’s people see the locations from a different persons perspective.

Okay. I genuinely thought that would cause confusion which is why I add updates and sometimes photos to exitisting threads instead. But I'll give it a go. I'm not great with the photos. My daughter does all that on her phone. Thanks.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Genuinely the best way for you to gain the trust of members is to actively contribute to the forum in the way of posting reports of what you've done - the forum is based around that form of information sharing, and is a give/take balance for a lot of people. If people see you putting your own stuff up and making the effort to add to the forum - which is basically a big archive of the changing state of locations through time - they tend to get more receptive to things.

With regards to what Stranton said, generally on the forum despite the rules around the naming of locations it stops short of giving things like exact map coordinates and then also access info. Whilst it seems you're already pretty proficient in finding things based off of info posted here there has always been a golden rule of not posting access details publicly. Even in a supposed private area things could always leak out, sometimes it's best to leave some mystery about a location.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
@Nyrian I'll not repeat what others have already said, but the key is to get some reports up on the forum. It doesn't matter that others have already done reports. It will be your take on a place.

The_Raw

Staff member
By all means post reports from places that have already been reported on. Information "such as whether it has been demolished, new security, old access blocked" is useful to other members and it's good to have updates on the current state of a place. There used to be a public location map on here but that ended up being a cluster fuck so it got taken down. If it's just access points you're after you could always send a private message to the last person who posted a report from that location and ask them. People are often quite helpful if you ask politely, especially if they can see you've done some reports of your own. I have to say though that for me finding a way into somewhere is one of the best bits of this hobby. It's much more satisfying figuring it out for yourself than being given instructions. That being said, some pointers can save you a lot of time when you have limited time to spend at a place so I get where you're coming from.

Nyrian

Banned
Banned
Thanks the_raw. I totally get that. Certainly there has been an immense feeling of elation conquering certain places. But I would happily spare people the mistakes we made at Springfield paper mill! 2hrs of mud, barbed wire, then security chase. 2nd attempt took 2mins and left us energy for the actual explore instead. I'd always try myself first. Was just wondering if a locked forum section for people to request help on something they'd clearly already tried might be useful or possible. Many reporters have been very helpful but they usually visited a long time before. Thanks again.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
There a couple of problems with the idea to have a locked section for up-to-date information. Firstly, things change all the time, so by the time someone posts an update, the security situation could be different. It's impossible to maintain an accurate database of such things. While it can be handy to have some recent information from people you know have been recently, it's a bit pointless listing it anywhere because you simply won't know if the information is still valid.

Secondly, lots of people don't like sharing that kind of information with people they don't know. Even a "trusted" group of people will contain people you have no idea about, so will be reluctant to post.

Lastly,
I was trying to suggest a new type of locked section where people can exchange access points. Maybe based on a trust score or something built up from contributions to the forum?
This would need to be primarily based on contributions, as you suggest, so posting reports would be the only way to gain trust.

The answer to all the above is just to keep it via PM. It's much easier to discuss via PM on a site by site basis, because you're more likely to get advice that's suited to your own abilities. As others have said, just post up some reports and then politely ask.