real time web analytics
Video Report - - KEEP OUT: Short horror film shot at Clockhouse Brickworks, Capel - June 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Video Report - KEEP OUT: Short horror film shot at Clockhouse Brickworks, Capel - June 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Freddie Valentine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I shot a short horror film last weekend at the Clockhouse Brickworks.

Here it is:
Enjoy.

History

The Clock House Brick Company Ltd was founded c.1933 to exploit a rich deposit of high-quality Weald Clay to the south of the Surrey village of Capel. The outbreak of war in 1939 was bad news for brickmaking, as housebuilding effectively ceased and the workforce was swallowed up by conscription. Although there was some demand for bricks to be used in military engineering projects, there was little use for the high-grade ceramic blocks made at Clock House. By 1941, the Company was in liquidation and sold the majority of its share capital to the London Brick Company (LBC) to avoid closing the works. In 1945, the Company was wound up for good and the works were acquired by the LBC. Under LBC, production was substantially increased to meet demand from the recovering housing market and in the 1960s the factory was rebuilt to accommodate more efficient production methods.

London Brick was acquired by Hanson PLC in 1984 the works was refitted shortly afterwards to produce multi stock bricks under the Butterley and Capel brand names. In 1998, Clockhouse Bricks were used by three major exhibitors in that year's Ideal Home Show and by 2000, Clock House was be Hanson’s main soft mud production site, making around 42 million bricks per year.

The global financial crisis of 2008 hit the building materials industry hard, however: a sudden slump in housing prices meant that house-building ground almost to a halt and demand for bricks plummeted. In March 2009, Hanson announced a 'phased closure programme' which began later that month and led to the loss of 61 jobs. Hanson have since indicated that there is no intention to re-activate the brickworks or extract clay from the adjacent pits. Since closure, Clock House Brickworks has been in limbo, slowly being stripped of anything valuable while a lengthy audit determines the planning conditions surrounding re-use of the site. Plans for an incinerator ('energy from waste facility') on the site, bitterly opposed by local residents, were thrown out by a High Court Judgment in 2009 and the future of the site is now uncertain.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not normally a lover of video's in relation to UE but i actually quite enjoyed this done to a good standard too. It reminded me of my visit a few years back went on the train also glad it didnt end the way your visit did LOL.

JDRS

28DL Member
28DL Member
Quality Video! Tried to get inside the main building of this place last year and ended up hiding from secca for over an hour! Had to sprint round the edge of the flooded pit to escape :coat

Freddie Valentine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Quality Video! Tried to get inside the main building of this place last year and ended up hiding from secca for over an hour! Had to sprint round the edge of the flooded pit to escape :coat

Thanks buddy! You might want to give it another shot...it's fairly simple to get in nowadays. I've been a couple of times in the last few weeks and the only other people I saw appeared to be trying to steal copper wiring or metal or something. They pretended to be there officially, but they were incredibly unconvincing...

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That was really good!! Good timing as well given the recent thread about UE videos, ones such as this that are shot so well I'd happily watch all the time!! Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future mate :)

Freddie Valentine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That was really good!! Good timing as well given the recent thread about UE videos, ones such as this that are shot so well I'd happily watch all the time!! Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future mate :)

That's very kind of you my friend. Hopefully I'll be able to free myself from the shackles of my monotonous day job in order to shoot some more soon!

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
I came here with an abusive comment already planned out, but I actually really enjoyed it. Nice work!

Freddie Valentine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I came here with an abusive comment already planned out, but I actually really enjoyed it. Nice work!

Ha! Yeah...so many shit videos out there with some lame-ass dubstep track and no image stabilisation. Not saying my film is gonna win a Palm D'Or by any means, but I just wanted to try something a little different. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for not abusing me!