real time web analytics
Report - - Klondyke Works, Swadlincote - December 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Klondyke Works, Swadlincote - December 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brassneck

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I do love the pottery industry in the Derbyshire / Stoke area, quite a lot has been found over the years, however I was very surprised when I stumbled across a pair of horizontal steam engines! This beauty is tucked away a bit outside of the town, hence why I think its forgotten about, although a few people have been it still seems like the vast majority miss it which I find quite funny as its one of the better examples I've explored! The works was built in 1899. When the Bretby Brick & Stoneware Company was incorporated in 1909 they took over the building. Brick production supposedly ceased in the 1930's, with the works finally closing in 1995. The two engines on-site are quite rare, one been a Tangye built in Birmingham and the other been a Walkers Brothers built in Wigan, quite epic seeing them sat next to each other! There is a lot of belt fed equipment on-site too, that in all honesty I don't know what does, presumably moulds etc? There was also a nice bottle oven. The explore was quite straight forward, although a bit scary with some sort of gypo-yard located next door, after seeing nobody lurking around, we slid down the banking and then found a pretty easy entrance to the inside of the building. Once inside I made it a mission to see everything before the light went, and thankfully I pretty much did! As mentioned, although the steam engines are the main attraction, there is still a lot more to see! The building was quite funny to traverse with lots of holes scattered around everywhere high up and the general feel of it been a death trap.. my photos are a bit naff as I forgot my wide angle but they'll do.

0.1.jpg

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG
4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG
12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Love those engines, but also that grinder is a gem, almost a bit Marcel Duchamp, hope that's not too tenuous and obscure (Chocolate Grinder series, Bride stripped bare, etc).
Just me then...? OK, I'll shut up now