real time web analytics
Report - - La Maison de Marbre - Beziers, south of France - March 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - La Maison de Marbre - Beziers, south of France - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The_Raw

Staff member
I spent a week visiting my brother in a town called Béziers in the south of France and decided to see if there were any spots to explore. My research didn't come up with much so I just showed up hoping I might spot something worthwhile. It turns out one in every four buildings in Béziers is abandoned so it didn't take me long to find some stuff.

Here is some history about the place....

This beautiful old house in the centre of Béziers was originally a hotel called Hotel Chappaz. It was Joseph Chappaz, a wine merchant who specialized in vermouths such as Noilly-Prat who had the building built in 1868 for his wife Augustine. He commissioned Jean Antoine Injalbert (1845-1933), a famous sculpter from Béziers to execute the statues on the front of the building. The building is now much neglected but Injalbert's sculptures are still intact and are arguably some of his best work, hopefully the Béziers authorities will make sure that Injalbert's work survives.
I am told it has since belonged to a wealthy family and was last lived in by the mother who passed away five or six years ago. Her son tried to sell the property but to no avail, it was due for demolition last year although there is now a possibility of it being restored and used as lawyer's offices for the court house due to be built next door. There is evidence of squatters having lived inside at some point but not for quite some time. Although it is pretty much stripped and in poor condition it still retains some stunning features, the ground floor is almost entirely made from marble and the ornate sculptures by Injalbert are amazing.

Access was a bit of a nightmare but I managed it on my third attempt, then five minutes later I heard a certain something being dragged away by a street cleaner which sent my exit strategy out the window (no pun intended). Due to this I was a bit concerned that someone may be alerted to my presence so I didn't hang around too long inside. Still, I managed to find an easier way out than I'd originally planned so it worked out quite nicely in the end :D

13099696255_b3cc93893d_b.jpg

13099904693_e330d95967_b.jpg

13100062974_057c081050_b.jpg

13099914013_723d01c46f_b.jpg

13100029384_05ffcdb9fb_b.jpg

13100044294_f88ff04fc7_b.jpg

13102500184_9b6f1ff782_b.jpg

13102932824_0a29307615_b.jpg

13099860013_2c2b67f6b2_b.jpg

13102939284_588709b925_b.jpg

13099838783_0b6821c82f_b.jpg

13099733035_144fb6abbd_b.jpg

13100082714_6010d6cf21_b.jpg

13099982794_030af7c2eb_b.jpg

13099897583_3f1794b974_b.jpg

13100072454_d7ec6053a3_b.jpg

Full flickr set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/74870643@N02/sets/72157642237352965/

Thanks for looking :thumb

Last edited:

Baff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Joli! The only downside is that it's slap bang in the middle of a social housing lot .. might be why he has struggled to sell.

The_Raw

Staff member
Thanks guys :thumb

Joli! The only downside is that it's slap bang in the middle of a social housing lot .. might be why he has struggled to sell.

Yeah it's pretty gnarly behind there....do you know the place?

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Not bad at all that! Shame that the last time I was in Beziers, I wasn't old enough to go anywhere by myself, let alone a derelict building :D

The_Raw

Staff member
Not bad at all that! Shame that the last time I was in Beziers, I wasn't old enough to go anywhere by myself, let alone a derelict building :D

Haha well I've been a few times in the past few years when i didn't have any interest in such a thing so there's been many a missed opportunity for me! Managed to hit 4 places on this trip though :D

The_Raw

Staff member
Cheers guys. News coming in from my brother in Beziers, apparently the statues were sculpted by Jean Antoine Injalbert, a famous sculptor from Beziers. This has helped me to find much more information, it seems that the building was once a hotel called Hotel Chappaz which was built in 1868....

"This building in Béziers is now much neglected but Injalbert's sculptures are still intact and are arguably some of his best work. It was Joseph Chappaz, a wine merchant who specialized in vermouths such as Noilly-Prat who had the building built in 1868 for his wife Augustine and he commissioned Injalbert to execute the caryatides on the front of the building. The building is no longer occupied and has fallen into disrepair but hopefully the Béziers authorities will make sure that Injalbert's work survives."

Listing of the work of Jean Antoine Injalbert-French sculptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:Hotel Chappaz frontage. Beziers.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

smallbunt

28DL Member
28DL Member
i visited Bezier some 30 years ago but I think my thoughts were not about looking at beautiful old buildings ( wine women and s... come to mind ) lovelly old building though

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thought this was from Sheffield till i saw the Palm Tree mate :)

Didn"t expect it too be so nice, going off your texts. Well impressed and no dodgey characters or Gurka"s either :)

You certainly made the most of your time there mate, i think we spent longer looking for that Chateau though :banghead

Baff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks guys :thumb

Yeah it's pretty gnarly behind there....do you know the place?

Not at all, but having lived in France for 13 years, I recognise the type of building lol
(I'm near Paris... far from Béziers).

The_Raw

Staff member
Not at all, but having lived in France for 13 years, I recognise the type of building lol
(I'm near Paris... far from Béziers).
Ah well spotted in that case. It looked pretty rough round there, on my first visit there were 2 cop cars dealing with a gang of about 10 guys up to no good and the ground floor flats mostly had barbed wire protecting their balconies....nice for the kids looking out the windows!

The_Raw

Staff member
You certainly made the most of your time there mate, i think we spent longer looking for that Chateau though :banghead

Oh yeah, that turned out to be the opposite end of the country....

Got a couple more places worth reporting from Beziers but I think this was the nicest :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details