real time web analytics
Report - - La Porte Fullers Earth Works - July 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - La Porte Fullers Earth Works - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Visit
Visited with 'Medwaydan'. I know this site has been covered a few times now, I'm sure one more report can't hurt. We planned to hit a few sites around the area but ran out of time so only managed Fullers Earth. The site is pretty beaten up now but still standing as a strong statement in the middle surrounded by trees. A very eerie place with the sound of creaking metal as the wind passes through the crumbling buildings. In and out without running into anyone is always a plus as well, a smooth explore and a great place, worth the visit.

History

On the Redhill deposit, the most successful quarry operating at the turn of the century was the Copyhold Works of the Fuller’s Earth Union Ltd, established c.1860-70. Initially supplying the woollen trade, demand later shifted to the growing chemical and commodity sector. In 1954 the works, by now employing close to 800 men, were bought by chemical company Laporte Industries. Production was stepped up to meet increasing demand and a large factory consisting of kilns, granulators, silos and transit systems on several floors was built. In the 1980s, the Copyhold site was sending loose earths and packaged cat litter around the world.

By 1995, however, due to falling profits it was announced that the company would close some of its 100 worldwide plants. The Copyhold works fell victim the following year and the Laporte Group was broken up and sold to an American private equity firm trading as Rockwood Holdings Inc. After the production lines were switched off, the 119 acre pit was purchased for use as a landfill site by Biffa Waste Services and continues to take waste from across Surrey. The factory was for a while used as a waste transfer station but this too was abandoned at some time in the last four years and the site is now derelict.

On to the derp itself

1_zpsmoogz3ie.jpg

2_zps70krakuu.jpg

3_zpshj5rmcwg.jpg

4_zps6bijjwa8.jpg

5_zpsrcjbqpof.jpg

6_zpscxmp1rty.jpg

7_zpsvw477n93.jpg

8_zpsvicsuk1a.jpg

9_zpsszvfr5ld.jpg

10_zps5k5kp8qn.jpg

11_zpsnvbaam7x.jpg

Thanks for taking a ganders :D

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
I wondered how this hole was doing. Have they pulled security from it again? Its always weird how these places switch security on and off for no obvious reason

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wondered how this hole was doing. Have they pulled security from it again? Its always weird how these places switch security on and off for no obvious reason

Yeah, they are like a yoyo with that place with security, but luckily for me not a single head or dog in sight :D

Medwaydan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was going to do a report but our pictures look like they are taken from the same position haha. Il chuck a couple in this thread later if that's cool.

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was going to do a report but our pictures look like they are taken from the same position haha. Il chuck a couple in this thread later if that's cool.

Haha ahhh yeah or whack a couple good ones in the general photos thread! :D

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details