real time web analytics
Report - - Lees Brook Culvert - Lees, Oldham - Feb 2014 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lees Brook Culvert - Lees, Oldham - Feb 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Lees Brook Culvert – Lees, Oldham

1_zps5f0c24f6.jpg

History

Essentially this is a continuation of the Majestic Culverts as it lies about a mile downstream, even though the area and local mill is called Lees Brook it is the River Medlock which runs through the culvert joining the stream from Grotton Hollows downstream of this culvert.

The culvert is a reasonable length at 480 meters, from the downstream end the culvert is 5ft square concrete sections, after 50 meters there is a 45 degree bend and manhole shaft. The square concrete sections then continue for a further 280 meters to a transition to circular concrete pipe, this then runs for approximately 150 meters.

Why such a long section of the River Medlock was culverted isn’t too clear as it is woodland and a Country Park above, however clues of a previous industrial heritage does show itself if you wander down this valley. Lees did have an interesting past.

One of the eleven mills which use to dominate the Lees skyline.

11_zps7da39fbb.jpg

Lees could have been the Northwests Harrogate as in the late-18th century, a natural chalybeate spring was discovered in the locality, and by the-early 19th century the village gained a reputation for these "fashionable" mineral springs. In the early-19th century, water from Lees Spa, had become fashionable to drink, so much so, that it was bottled and sold around the country. In the month of August 1821, 60,000 people visited Lees Spa. Ambitions to develop Lees into a spa town - "Lancashire's very own Harrogate" - were thwarted by an unplanned process of urbanisation caused by introduction and profitability of textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution.

My Visit

After finding the Majestic Culverts I knew of this section further down the river, but it remained a project until last month. I popped in hoping to find some nice stone or brick work and was promptly washed back out as the river was a bit higher than today. I was a bit disappointed that it appeared to be just concrete sections, but thought it should get better due to the history of the surrounding area.

Today the river was a bit lower, my torch collection was severely depleted as my daughter has been borrowing them to put her rabbit away without falling into the raspberry patch, something I need to learn to do. On with the photos.

First section of the culvert to the bend.

2_zpsceb1f032.jpg

Looking back to the start.

4_zpse4a79e55.jpg

An interesting feature, 45 degree bend an access shaft!

3_zpsa4dba31a.jpg

A bit more of the square concrete sections, there’s a lot of it.

5_zpsf26cb1e0.jpg

Leaching iron deposits now started to get interesting, honest.

6_zpse2183dc5.jpg

Now for the main feature of the culvert, this made the wet feet and hunched stroll all the worthwhile. The rust stalactites are at the transition from square to circular section and was impressive to see.

7_zps692537e1.jpg

8_zps3a5a1d07.jpg

Looking back at the formations from the circular section of the culvert.

10_zpsba9a8346.jpg

The long final section of RCP take you up to Lees Brook Mill.

9_zpsdf53df5a.jpg

Well that’s it, even though it was just concrete sections, it was a nice explore and would make an excellent introduction to the world of drains as well as practicing getting your photos right.

For such relatively short river the Medlock has a huge amount of culverted sections from start to finish, a good few days could be had visiting them all.

Cheers,

TLR.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
The shot looking back out the RCP into the square section looks like the inside of the hadron collider :)