real time web analytics
Report - - Inhospitable/The Works - 01/10/2023 - Manchester | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Inhospitable/The Works - 01/10/2023 - Manchester

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
Inhospitable + The Works
(explored with @Ojay , @MartyZero and a non-member)
Inhospitable is a (as the crow flies) 1 and a half kilometer long culvert on the Moss Brook.
This drain includes a peculiar feature, called The Works (you will see why its called that soon).

The Explore
We got to the infall after quite abit of heavy rain, so the Moss Brook was quite abit more lively than usual.

The Infall (quite a few arches in a short distance!)

_DSC0510.JPG

Water ingress was pouring through the roof in this bit meaning we got abit of a shower on the way in!
Got a tad deep for a small bit but shallowed out into ankle breaking culvert!
_DSC0385.JPG

When I say ankle breaking, I mean it.
Since it had rained not even hours before our explore, the water had gone all murky and you could not see where you were stepping what so ever.
Either way, we were managing and pressed on.

Some beautiful stalactite formations.
_DSC0387.JPG

In the distance we noticed a rush of water coming in from a side pipe. Quite a flow on it! No odd smells, so definitely some small watercourse.
_DSC0389.JPG

_DSC0487.JPG

ezgif-4-0f3ea811b9.gif

As we continued down we noticed the small egg sidepipe, we went up one by one only to notice it had been completely blocked off!

No pics here, but heres one to show size comparison!
IMG_20231001_142549201.png

Marty decided to crawl out backwards, what a cock!!!! :rofl

Some more fancy shots commenced..
_DSC0478.JPG

Now it was time to enter THE WORKS.

And my god, was it awesome!
_DSC0453.JPG

Essentially what it is is an overflow for the Moss Brook into the River Irk, similar to how a CSO works except this time its for a natural watercourse.
Our theory for it being built was for a flood defence mechanism for the mills that were located bang next to the outfall of Inhospitable.
They would lower the penstock to completely divert the brook in times of flood out into the River Irk, to prevent any damage to the mills.
Again, this is a theory.
_DSC0473.JPG

Climbing out on the right you get to a very tall manhole chamber.
_DSC0451.JPG

If you climb up these rungs you come to a small corridor, which runs to the right directly over the middle of the works penstock chamber and shows the workings of the penstock.
IMG_20231001_153011966.jpg

Really beautiful stuff, and in great condition!

It was time to climb out and walk down the giants steps.

Firstly, here is the 2 tunnels that run under the moss brook so it can overflow from both the left and right side of the chamber (yes we did crawl from one side to the other!).
_DSC0449.JPG

Then down the steps!

(someone left a fake drain fairy.. and yes the original is still there!)

_DSC0443(1).JPG

The photo is quite deceiving, but these steps were huge!!
_DSC0428.JPG

Now it was down to the junction, where a possible second overflow could have been built for whatever other reason.
_DSC0431.JPG

_DSC0415.JPG

Silouhette shots 4 the winz!!
_DSC0434.JPG

From here it changes to spraycrete and also gets deep and silty, we decided to only go so far and then turn back due to the worry of possible rainfall.
But if you were to follow, you would eventually outfall into the River Irk.
_DSC0437.JPG

_DSC0411.JPG

_DSC0412.JPG

Back into Inhospitable because there was something downstream I wanted to see quickly before we made our escape.
We ducked under the penstock and made our way down.
The flooring was even worse, random drop off points and random stoopyness commenced.
We noticed that the water was getting slightly higher, so we hurried up.

Eventually we meet a small RCP pipe into a Storm Drain inspection drop shaft.
IMG_20231001_154644834_HDR.jpg

Stinky stuff :p
IMG_20231001_154735805.jpg

Then back out into the culvert to make our escape and take a few more fancy shots 'n' clips!
ezgif-4-0b59092456.gif

_DSC0483.JPG

More backlit step shotz.
_DSC0447.JPG

P37 Guardian.. (long haired ponce)
_DSC0454.JPG

Then we GTFO!
Off to wetherspoons, and a bowl of nachos me thinks... (Dont you agree Marty?)
Anyway, cheers to the group for bringing me to more of Manchesters drainage system!
Cheers for reading, peace out!

ezgif-4-11f7d1c385.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Always a good one to see. The works reminds me of something from a saw movie :eek. Those stalactite formations lite up look like a beautiful chandelier. Really nice set

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
great snaps its a tuff one but well worth doing one of my favourite drains this well captured , we must of missed the concrete storm drain cant recall seeing the entrance for it

Parky

Regular User
great snaps its a tuff one but well worth doing one of my favourite drains this well captured , we must of missed the concrete storm drain cant recall seeing the entrance for it
cheers jezzy yeah was hard but a great explore :thumb

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice that ..I am loving the GIFs added to the report. Been toying with that idea myself lately :D

Last edited:

Parky

Regular User
Really nice thar..I am loving the GIFs added to the report. Been toying with that idea myself lately :D
ive done it in a few recent reports, its nice to show clips without having to upload unlisted onto youtube and embed links and whatever, gonna do this in upcoming reports too. cheers! :lol