real time web analytics
Levenshulme Swimming Baths – Manchester : May 2023 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Levenshulme Swimming Baths – Manchester : May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Levenshulme Swimming Baths

Me and @dansgas1000 went for a couple of days away to the Manchester area. We split the locations evenly so we both got to do places we really wanted to see. One of the ones I really wanted to see were the swimming baths. This was the final pin on the final day before we were due to head back home. To be honest I wasn’t expecting it to be accessible, but it was actually quite easy!
Opening in 1921, Levenshulme Swimming Baths were designed by English architect Henry Price (1867-1944). He was also responsible for the design of the Victoria Baths in Chorlton-on-Medlock, the various Carnegie libraries, the Hydraulic Power Station, which is now People's History Museum along with many other buildings in and around Manchester.

The Arcadia Swimming Pool and Library was constructed in 2015 as to replace the swimming baths and the old Carnegie Library (situated just over the road) after local uproar at the announcement that they would both shut due to funding cuts. Protestors occupied the library for a few nights, there were rallies on the A6 and a large protest out the front of the swimming baths, which I managed to find some photos from.
The swimming baths closed their doors on the 18th February 2016, with no plans for the site. So doesn’t look like it's going anywhere any time soon....

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

Starting off inside at the ladies pool

IMG_0792-HDR.jpg

IMG_0768-HDR.jpg

Some fungi growing on the door frame heading into the pool room

IMG_0780.jpg

Up above the ladies pool

IMG_0798-HDR.jpg

IMG_0804-HDR.jpg

Next up was the steam and sauna rooms

IMG_0762-HDR.jpg

IMG_0765-HDR.jpg

IMG_0759-HDR.jpg

IMG_0711-HDR.jpg

IMG_0717-HDR.jpg

Really groovy tiles in this corridor

IMG_0720-HDR.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Into the office, some lovely decay in here, and a beautiful old safe too

IMG_0744-HDR.jpg

IMG_0735-HDR.jpg

The male pool, situated on the left-hand side of the building

IMG_0684-HDR.jpg

IMG_0681-HDR.jpg

This room was once the gym

IMG_0807-HDR.jpg

Downstairs to the pump/filter area

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Into the engineer's room, some very impressive mould in here!

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

The Swimming Baths in around 1920 (links on photographs)

139062482_161473555739642_4938473565691753433_n.jpg

Capture.PNG

A few photos I found of the protests a few years before the buildings closed down (Links on photographs)

pool3.PNG

pool2.PNG

pool.PNG

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report and write up. I like the old images too. You can thank me for the office been like that, I removed all the fallen down bits of wood etc to get a decent shot. Your welcome.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great report and write up. I like the old images too. You can thank me for the office been like that, I removed all the fallen down bits of wood etc to get a decent shot. Your welcome.
Thank you! I agree, I love finding the old photos of sites.
Good job! That room really was lovely.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Bloody hell these came out good! I wouldn't say 'quite easy' though, considering I nearly punctured my left testicle getting over that little metal fence!! I like the old pics

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Bloody hell these came out good! I wouldn't say 'quite easy' though, considering I nearly punctured my left testicle getting over that little metal fence!! I like the old pics
Not too bad. I was glad I managed to find them old pics, have a look through the Flickr link if you get a chance, it's quite interesting to see.
What do you mean! Wasn't that bad. It was me that had to do all the working out! Up on the roof, get in and then walk around inside to make sure it's safe while brave little Daniel waited patiently out the front...

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great report. Images are great. I love the old doors, sash windows and og outside railings. The old photo is fab with a lovely chimney in background. Good job. :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 476) View details