real time web analytics
Report - - Lilley & Stone School / Newark High School, Nottinghamshire - December 2022 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lilley & Stone School / Newark High School, Nottinghamshire - December 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lilley & Stone School / Newark High School

The oldest sections of Newarks’ former Lilley & Stone School date back to 1898 and were designed by London architect Charles Edward Mallows as the ‘School of Science and Art’.

Over the years it went through the following names;

Lilley & Stone Girls’ High School
Newark High School
Newark Sixth Form

The site eventually closed in August 2016 following the rebuilding of the main Academy buildings in nearby Balderton.

This is a good example of a school which has grown organically over its near-120 year lifespan, with the original Victorian school house, large Edwardian extension, several mid-century additions, all the way up to an 80s gym and separate cookery annex.

There’s been talk of a big housing development here for some time now, including retention of the Victorian and Edwardian bits but local nimby’s seem to be putting a stop to it currently.

Visited with several people including @Gsxrwayne @expedition @Esoteric Eric and @UrbanDoll and also bumped into @Wally_urbex

Starting with the original 1898 building

02 (8).jpg

02 (29).jpg

02 (4).jpg

02 (3).jpg

02 (28).jpg

02 (30).jpg

Next door is Shalem Lodge - another Victorian building which was originally the residence of Oliver Quibell who was the chairman of the Governers of Newark Girls' High School. This eventually became part of the Lilley & Stone school, presumably purchased by them after Oliver’s death in 1945.

02 (31).jpg

02 (22).jpg

02 (7).jpg

02 (23).jpg

Moving on to the large Edwardian addition - this mainly contained science classrooms, a couple of which were in fairly good order.

02 (12).jpg

02 (15).jpg

02 (17).jpg

02 (1).jpg

02 (2).jpg

02 (14).jpg

02 (13).jpg

02 (18).jpg

02 (24).jpg

02 (25).jpg

02 (6).jpg

02 (27).jpg

02 (26).jpg

One of a pair of gyms, this one appears to date from the 30s or 40s. The other was larger and more modern but it was locked on both occasions.

02 (19).jpg

02 (9).jpg

The 50s/60s extension was mainly destroyed or empty classrooms.

02 (16).jpg

02 (10).jpg

02 (11).jpg

Finally a couple of shots from the more modern annex.

02 (5).jpg

02 (21).jpg

It’s a shame the place has been absolutely bombed by the local kids since the alarm died. Hopefully it gets a new lease of life before too long!​

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Another great set on this place. So much to take in. The old bits have such lovely features. I like an explore with layers. I see the standard mixing bowl is still around, every school seems to have the same ones ;)

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Petty nice this, I don't think it's got long till its completely fkd it seems to b flavour of the month. That & a certain NP hosp that is getting hit hard.
That said after a semi fail a year or so back I may have to try & get to it lol
Nice take in it though

Last edited:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great set of pics there mate. Loads to get stuck into here. Very decent school explore this....

Adrian1963

28DL Member
28DL Member
I spent the last 18 months or so of my school career here in the late 1970s. It's a great shame to see the place reduced to such a state.

Who has read this thread (Total: 179) View details