real time web analytics
Report - - Little Sheff, Sheffield, November 2019 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Little Sheff, Sheffield, November 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User

Little Sheff is a small culvert in the North of Sheffield that carries Hall Wood Dike under Penistone Road. It's really short and very stoopy, but it winds around enough to make it dark in the middle. I spotted the outfall whilst out on a run and decided to go back for a look inside, suspecting that it would probably be the usual nice brick construction found in a few places across Sheffield. As expected, there's no transitions or features as such, but it's a nice little addition the list. The culvert exists on OS maps from 1842 (which is as far back as I could find) and has happily escaped a spraycreted fate, meaning all the brickwork is nicely visible and intact - in spite of more recent reinforcement work that has clearly been carried out at the infall end.

I'll start with some black and white 35mm film pics (the film was Ilford's new Ortho + film, for anyone who cares) and then follow up with some colour phone pics. I did take my digital camera with me, but accidentally dipped in into the deep pool at the bottom of the outfall waterfall, argh! (It has since returned to full working order, by some miracle).

Film Pics

From the outfall in the infall - it's really slippy getting up at this end and I instantly breached my waders. Oh well.

Phone Pics

Back the other way, from the infall to the outfall, beginning with a free hair wash. The water spilling over here is from another small stream that runs down the hill above to join the dyke.

And, for the sake of complete overkill, finishing with a few GIFs...

drainee1c8d18808e5db3.gif

light-1.gif

feet.gif

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Very nice, these smaller culverts are always that bit more interesting especially with the older construction.

A good mix of film and digital pics, the dog & bone ones have come out well also.And can’t beat a good drain gif, still chuckling at @TheVicar doing the Saturday nite drain fever:D

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Very nice, these smaller culverts are always that bit more interesting especially with the older construction.

A good mix of film and digital pics, the dog & bone ones have come out well also.And can’t beat a good drain gif, still chuckling at @TheVicar doing the Saturday nite drain fever:D

Thanks @Ojay - yeah it defo beats the equivalent in RCP. Its still the opposite of #epic but keeps me occupied! The new iPhone dark mode seemed to work well, not sure how it will cope with big drains but will find out!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Really enjoyed this, love the mix also. I use to use a 35mm many moons ago, forgot how good film looks. The construction really does make for exceptional shots. That opener & last shot could be covers of a magazine.

The gifs are a great touch, quality report :D

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Really enjoyed this, love the mix also. I use to use a 35mm many moons ago, forgot how good film looks. The construction really does make for exceptional shots. That opener & last shot could be covers of a magazine.

The gifs are a great touch, quality report :D
Thanks CJ. My obsession with film is currently strong.

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Nice little culvert that, not too much flow either after all this rain we keep having.
Good use of the black and white shots plus some effective giffage. :thumb

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice little culvert that, not too much flow either after all this rain we keep having.
Good use of the black and white shots plus some effective giffage. :thumb

thanks! When I first saw this it was during the really heavy rainfall and there was no way I could have got inside, but it cleared really quickly. It’s been really interesting seeing some of the familiar Sheffield locations in the wet weather recently tho and comparing them with drier times - looking down on the outfall of megaton, for example, and imagining how different it must look inside when it is mid storm.

Who has read this thread (Total: 250) View details