real time web analytics
Report - - Loch Skipport, Outer Hebrides, Scotland - May 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Loch Skipport, Outer Hebrides, Scotland - May 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

747_kirki

Death Valley is Mine
28DL Full Member
I’m up in the Outer Hebrides and found a couple of great little explores at a place called Loch Skipport on the island of South Uist.

IMG_0827.jpg

Once you arrive in Loch Skipport the single track road splits into two. Turn right and you pass a cracking abandoned croft house which still has many original features and furniture left inside, abandoned decades ago. But since we don’t “do†little houses on 28DL, I won’t say any more. However, at the end of the road there are some spaces to park a car if you only have 2WD, and then the track continues and gets pretty bumpy, with a couple of tight switchbacks leading down to a fabulous old decaying wooden pier.

At a quick glance you might think it’s just an old fishing pier, but it’s actually where the big cargo steamers from the mainland used to unload supplies in the early part of the 20th century. And the switchbacks were cut into the rock by hand, to enable access to the small Hebridean port. This first colour photo is taken on the first of two switchbacks - the exact same one you can see in the historic b&w pic...

LochSkipport03.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

I’d love to have a diving suit and go exploring underwater – I can only imagine a treasure-trove of items dropped overboard and sitting in the sludge on the sea bottom waiting to be found.

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

As well as the slowly decaying pier, there are other remnants fixed into the rock face alongside the pier – presumably used to secure the big vessels whilst in port. A truly stunning place.

IMG_0754.jpg

Trace your steps back to where the road splits, and you can follow it down to what seems to have previously been the local office of Marine Harvest, which operate salmon farms all over Scotland. I’d previously always thought this building was “liveâ€, but some reading online suggests it has now closed.

IMG_0822.jpg

At the end of the road, you come to their office building. Despite a 2012 calendar hanging inside, it looks pretty much abandoned, with not much left inside to see. The calendar is confusing, as articles online suggest this place shut up shop several years earlier!

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg