real time web analytics
Report - - Lockdown Mode, Manchester - July 15 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lockdown Mode, Manchester - July 15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
On the banks of the Manchester Ship Canal sits a large concrete outfall behind which a long storm drain runs deep into Salford. TunnelMon was in chest waders and confidently strode out first, I was clad to the thigh only and had to carefully hug the bank to avoid breaching. After skirting the drop off into the Ship Canal's depths and trudging through silt in the pipe we came to a chamber with steps rising from the invert, helpfully pointed out by a filthy sign.

19833776435_1c3409a494_b.jpg

The pipe started off as some kind of slippery composite around 8ft tall and the going was slow to keep upright.

19212862323_c62445a543_b.jpg

It changed to concrete box section (the only shape change), possibly as it passed over a large Victorian sewer overflow.

19212870003_4babca971a_b.jpg

Continuing for many kilometres we went through various shafts containing the usual storm drain drop pipes. A sprig of fresh greenery at the bottom of one suggested a lid had been lifted earlier that day, although no further evidence could be seen of people having been down there for years, certainly the soda straws growing from the ceiling looked undisturbed. I expect it has been explored in the past but due to it's nondescript nature not written about.

19645738900_407fc4be52_b.jpg

19647153949_f7edc8cbb8_z.jpg

19647167109_81a405735a_b.jpg

After walking for around an hour in total we came to a ramp after which the pipe shrank, we followed for a little longer before calling it a day.

19807595726_354995ffea_b.jpg

I suspect the storm drain may provide drainage to the M602, and continue in a North East direction in a shrunken state for some way.

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Woah, great stuff that, you consistently do some brilliant underground stuff and always get amazing images, been ages since i did any drains, could never get them lit as well as you manage.

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Agree totally, your pics are awesome mate, anyone who's ever tried to photograph in those conditions will how hard it is to get right. Top stuff.

espeleólogo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Amazing, this construction looks pretty recent. Loads of stuff keeps on getting unearthed in Manc, makes me wonder what else there is to find. That water in the 1st pic looks pretty sewagey, what does the sign say, some warning about deep water or the steps being submerged? Is it a sump?

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah just submerged steps, it read 'Caution steps in invert'. The rubbish wasn't sewery, just river water laden with silt and debris, a grab chain further up was covered in jamrags and the upmost point we got to smelt a bit fresh but no big CSOs to be found :(

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
very nice indeed, I've got a few MSC outfalls on my to do list that I haven't got round to looking at yet :thumb

espeleólogo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is the outfall just one rcp or a square concrete box, or some smaller pipes to lessen the flow into the ship canal?!

Patterdale

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
some good pics there mate. if you carry on further down after the 1350 pipe size under the M602 it opens up into a brick circle about 2 meters for some distance more but becomes a bit small to carry on. i got photos i will get them on here. i climbed down the manhole where you seen the twigs and stuff some time ago. there are a few more big pipes in that area.

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
We debated carrying on but I thought it would just be a horrible crawl for nothing, should have kept going! Yeah get your pics on I'd like to see the 2m brick pipe.