real time web analytics
London Bridge Sewer - October 2023 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

London Bridge Sewer - October 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Explored with Llama.

The River Walbrook, like a number of the former tributaries of the River Thames, was gradually covered over and culverted during the past few centuries and incorporated into London's sewer network.

A couple of interesting articles on the Walbrook can be found here and here.

I'd been curious about seeing this place for many years but at the same time had been put off by how nasty it might be when there were other cleaner and easier places to explore.
Last summer, having figured out an entry point in Moorgate that looked promising, I informed Llama who went and checked it out and confirmed it was successful. Come October, I met up with him at a local pub where he reminded of how relatively deep and silty it was down there. Prepared for the filth that awaited, we were soon on our way and at the bottom of the access shaft.

Stepping carefully into the egg shaped sewer, which was somewhat stoopy at less than 5ft in height, we looked west where the confluence of the flows from three slightly smaller eggs takes place.

a.jpg

From here, it was a case of turning around and heading east for a short distance until we reached the western branch of the LBS.
This view looking north shows the egg on the left, which is where we emerged in to the main sewer. Another local sewer joins the mainline from the east. There is a nice dome in the roof of the tunnel here.

c.jpg

From here, we went a short distance north until just below Moorgate tube station where the tunnel split into two. It was at this point that we turned around and headed south and past the way we entered.

b.jpg

The sewer here was about 9ft in height and relatively easy going. Rags hanging from some ladders providing a reminder of just how high the flow gets when the heavens open.

d.jpg

e.jpg

A short while later, the tunnel drops down in size to about 6ft and turns a bend.

f.jpg

Immediately ahead, the familiar sight of 'Stoop's Limit' came into view and I was relieved that it wasn't anything like as bad as I had expected.
There was no water pouring through the brickwork from every direction so thankfully we remained dry.
Here two little local sewers join. One at either side.

g.jpg

h.jpg

For a little while, we slowly and carefully trudged down the sewer through silty and sweetcorn ridden bum truffle.

j.jpg

k.jpg

It was however, the next section - a more modern reinforced concrete pipe, that I disliked more than the previous bit. The stoopy 5ft RCP was very slippy which made progress slow. A mistake here would be most unpleasant and with the Low Level No.2 interceptor so close by, care needed to be taken.

l.jpg

Once safely past the interceptor, the RCP was now dry and much easier to walk in. Soon the RCP ended and the brickwork returned briefly before another mainly concrete section started.

l2.jpg

m.jpg

n.jpg

Moments later however, we had reached the junction where the western branch of the LBS meets the eastern branch.

o.jpg

From here we opted to head up the eastern branch. The tunnel here had a decent height of just over 8ft.

p.jpg

q.jpg

A short distance upstream and the pipe turned to concrete again before returning to brick and opening up into this rather pretty junction.

r.jpg

s.jpg

Heading only a few metres up the right hand side pipe, we come to this steep and very slippery staircase or 'tumbling bay' as they are known. Fortunately, a handrail was provided otherwise getting up and back down would be a very risky business!
The egg shaped tunnel at the top was too stoopy to continue, so at this point we turned around and headed back to the junction where the two branches of the LBS joined.

t.jpg

The final part of the journey was to now head south down the sewer and admire the brickwork. This comprised blue engineering bricks for the lower part of the sewer with mainly red brick but a few yellows added for good measure.

A short way downstream and we came across these two large bricked up tunnels on either side of the sewer. Both appeared to be of the same dimensions and height, which made me wonder if that was once another sewer that ran transverse to the LBS and was now abandoned.

u.jpg

A couple more local sewers joined from both left and right.

v.jpg

w.jpg

x.jpg

Two minutes later, we reach the end chamber which is constructed of yellow brick. Here the floor of the tunnel drops away at about a 30-degree slope and the flow is taken away via a small penstock. The flow from here actually runs below and back in a northerly direction to just beyond the junction of the western and eastern branches of the LBS.
We could have probably got a pic of this little penstock if it wasn't for the fact that the tide was in and blasting jets of water in through the small gaps in the outfall flap.

y.jpg

It was now time to pack the camera away and head out which unfortunately involved retracing our steps all the way back to the way we got in. The next day I treated the old waders to a good bleaching.

Thanks to Llama for the good company and the enthusiasm for trudging through the shit soup. I know it isn't everybody's cup of tea!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good to see again, did two trips down here with Adders 10 year ago, doesn't look like much has changed.

I'm gonna be back on it this year :popcorn

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Good to see again, did two trips down here with Adders 10 year ago, doesn't look like much has changed.

I'm gonna be back on it this year :popcorn

Cheers Ojay. A don't think a year has gone by that I've not re-read yours and Adders' reports on the LBS.
Was good to finally get it ticked off as I'm not going back there again. :lol

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Fantastic report mate, was a wicked outing this! Those shots certainly came out well. Looking forward to our next one :D
Thanks, it was a much nicer trip than I had prepared myself for. A bit turdy but well worth the visit. Looking forward to plenty more miles of drains to slop through this year. :thumb

Uncle Tony

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wonder if this 👆 might have been the Arthur street sewer? It would have (or have had) an east and a west branch and been about 5' 10".

Some of that cabling in there is criminal. I know it's an unpleasant work environment and it's not got to look pretty, but urgh, have some standards. LOL!

A few years back I had a wander through the Goswell Street Sewer, under Walbrook, the line of which is generally accepted to be closer to where the Walbrook itself ran to the Thames for that last little stretch. It was actually very interesting, small, but not overly so, with a few nice little junctions.

Really enjoyed the virtual re-visit. In a way it's a shame whatever leak was causing all those all those water spouts has been fixed, it was very photogenic. :P

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
I wonder if this 👆 might have been the Arthur street sewer? It would have (or have had) an east and a west branch and been about 5' 10".

Some of that cabling in there is criminal. I know it's an unpleasant work environment and it's not got to look pretty, but urgh, have some standards. LOL!

A few years back I had a wander through the Goswell Street Sewer, under Walbrook, the line of which is generally accepted to be closer to where the Walbrook itself ran to the Thames for that last little stretch. It was actually very interesting, small, but not overly so, with a few nice little junctions.

Really enjoyed the virtual re-visit. In a way it's a shame whatever leak was causing all those all those water spouts has been fixed, it was very photogenic. :P

I don't have any info on the Arthur St. Sewer but that is most definitely the location of where this would have been and matches the dimensions that you state.
Agreed that how the fibre optic cabling has been installed is pretty shoddy but that's modern "workmanship" for you. It's not a nice environment to be carrying out this work, but those who constructed these drains had pride in their craft, so it's a pity that the modern day workers don't display the same discipline.

I'd seen the Goswell St. Sewer on the old maps and noticed that it was closer to the original path of the Walbrook. Was it big enough to stand in without stooping? The dimensions I had seen looked like they ranged from about 1300 to 1500mm in height.

Glad you enjoyed the virtual revisit. Those leaks made for photogenic shots but their absence was a blessing from the staying dry perspective. :thumb

Uncle Tony

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don't have any info on the Arthur St. Sewer but that is most definitely the location of where this would have been and matches the dimensions that you state.
Agreed that how the fibre optic cabling has been installed is pretty shoddy but that's modern "workmanship" for you. It's not a nice environment to be carrying out this work, but those who constructed these drains had pride in their craft, so it's a pity that the modern day workers don't display the same discipline.

I'd seen the Goswell St. Sewer on the old maps and noticed that it was closer to the original path of the Walbrook. Was it big enough to stand in without stooping? The dimensions I had seen looked like they ranged from about 1300 to 1500mm in height.

Glad you enjoyed the virtual revisit. Those leaks made for photogenic shots but their absence was a blessing from the staying dry perspective. :thumb
Ahoy!

Likewise, I have very minimal info on Arthur St. Sewer, other than a couple of placements on older maps and some dimensions. Looked like an odd one though as the Western branch didn't run very far at all and didn't interact with much of anything else.

Goswell St sewer is half decent size further down, particularly where it is diverted into the LL No.2. It's about 6 1/2 ft there, arched crown and invert, flat sided, about 3ft wide, kinda nice. So none of it is massive, but some neat little junction chambers, one in particular where three pipes meet in a decent sized square chamber. I'm a sucker for 'smaller' dimension tunnels; anything that's just over standing height works for me. It's not somewhere you'd head to specifically to see just that, but in the course of looking at other things, it's quite an interesting spot.

Charro

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi
Stupid questions coming uo....?
Any ideas of who uses the coloured wires, blue, orange, yellow, green & purple?
Any idea of how often these wires would be checked?
Thanks guys
Stay Safe

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Those coloured cables are fibre optics for voice and data.
They used the sewers as these conduits already existed and it saved digging up many roads in London which would have caused huge disruption for traffic.
It's unlikely they get checked very often as there's nothing much really to go wrong with them.

gatopretorockey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I loved your report and the photography is outstanding under the circumstances. I love the stairs/tumblers and the older architecture is simply beautiful. Thanks very much for a lovely report with plenty of visuals.

Who has read this thread (Total: 211) View details