real time web analytics
Report - - Longbridge Tunnels, Birmingham, November 2013 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Longbridge Tunnels, Birmingham, November 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Longbridge Tunnels​

Visited with RaisinWing and 4lex after having a look around GKN site http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums...ctory-tunnels-birmingham-november-2013-a.html Quite an amusing one for us with the extended entry and the Takeshi's Castle style stepping stones through the flooded section, not to mention the fun of getting back out after 4lex inadvertently locked Raisin and myself in the site. Then 10 minutes after leaving and starting the long drive back to good ol Norwich, the clutch cable snapped in 4lex's car, leading to a 6 hour ordeal of being towed home. All in all a fun filled day!

History of the East Works

The whole of East Works stands on land outside the former Warwickshire county boundaries (now the West Midlands), in the parish of Cofton Hackett, part of Bromsgrove Rural District in Worcestershire. The site is defined by this boundary and the line of Lowhill Lane and was formerly farm land. The East Works was built upon a l5 acre site bounded by Groveley Lane and Lowhill Lane from 1936 onwards, as part of the Government's Shadow Factory Scheme which Lord Austin was in charge of from its inception that year. It included an under-ground factory built under Groveley Lane where aircraft engines and associated components were assembled during the Second World War. By March 1940 tunnels were also constructed to link to other parts of the works site. These underground tunnels were capable of accommodating 10,000 workers mainly in South Works.

On with some pictures;

DSC_0602_zpsa3a1e675.jpg

DSC_0601_zps5f5fbc44.jpg

DSC_0597_zps925c5d66.jpg

DSC_0596_zpsa4e41e86.jpg

DSC_0595_zpsea9f80f8.jpg

DSC_0594_zps5cbb863b.jpg

DSC_0593_zpseafe9d1e.jpg

DSC_0591_zps526348d2.jpg

DSC_0584_zpsaa1142ce.jpg

DSC_0583_zps31ce39d3.jpg

DSC_0581_zps5491bb78.jpg

DSC_0580_zps4dfd2a59.jpg

DSC_0578_zps2be7fbde.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Unknown_Cameracrew

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, Im not a Urban Explorer per-say but a documentary filmmaker.
We are currently working on a documentary about underground exploring and would be extremely grateful if you could show us round these tunnels and maybe have an interview.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry, if you were a "Known_ Cameracrew" that"d be fine but as you"re "Unknown_Cameracrew" i doubt you"ll get much joy regarding this and the other places you"ve been asking to be taken round :banghead

I always thought Groundhog Day was just a Film .......it appears not ;)

Twiggy12

28DL Member
28DL Member
Does anyone know if you can still get access into the tunnels as I live across the road from rover and always wanted to explore these tunnels?