real time web analytics
Report - - Longbridge Tunnels - Jan 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Longbridge Tunnels - Jan 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Miss Drippy

Who?
28DL Full Member
I've started the year by getting off my fat arse and doing a bit of exploring. I first went to the Longbridge tunnels in Dec but only went to one of them. So armed with another torch and a pocket full of Snickers I went back for another mooch.

History

The ‘Shadow Factory Tunnels’ are the remnants of Lord Austin’s secret plans that were hatched to bolster British military might in the face of German military aggression in the arms race that led up to the start of the Second World War.
This was where munitions workers produced the Merlin engines that powered the Spitfires and Hawker Hurricanes used to regain control of the British skies during the Battle of Britain in 1940.

The Shadow Scheme involved two parts - building nine new factories and extending existing factories - including the Longbridge plant.
Australian-born industrialist and Conservative MP, Lord Austin - also the founder of Austin Motors - had already contributed to the war effort in the First World War, turning his factories to munitions and engine production.
After the war, the factory returned to producing automobiles and the tunnels were abandoned.
By the late 1960s, the Longbridge plant was the second largest car plant in the world.
But since the collapse of MG Rover, part of the site was redeveloped for housing and commercial purposes.

DSC05974_zpscacway4r.jpg

DSC05111_zps8abvjogc.jpg

DSC05990_zpsurly13do.jpg

DSC05992_zps0gwidrl7.jpg

DSC06033_zpsufkimwya.jpg

DSC06041_zpsos3elqla.jpg

DSC06003_zps3rf46of2.jpg

DSC06009_zpsvvru0awl.jpg

DSC06027_zpso0bb6dzv.jpg

DSC06018_zpslrd47avk.jpg

DSC05997_zpsbriacex3.jpg

DSC05119_zpspgnmn3dg.jpg

DSC05136_zpswkorqzgr.jpg

DSC05116_zpsypkl8bz4.jpg

DSC06054_zpsewiytgrq.jpg

Thanks for looking.

zoom zoom

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report & very Good photos really interesting ! i didn't know about the place !
Just done some home work & found a photo of the women work force building the engines in these
tunnels .

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details