real time web analytics
General - - Lost And Known Rivers Of Maghera | UK Draining Forum | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Lost And Known Rivers Of Maghera

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Medb

28DL Member
28DL Member
This has been an obsession for a while now as there are a few burns brooks shucks or rills in my town. these are ordered largest to smallest these are Milltown Burn , Largantogher Brook , Millburn Mill Race , Glynn Brook , Silverhill Brook , Beaver Brook , Lost Brook and a few unnamed trickles of water.

MILLTOWN BURN
Milltown Burn is the largest river in my town. It rises 4 miles above maghera in the mountains and flows quickly down towards the town. My uncle lives right beside it at an old bridge thats been widened 2 years ago. The burn is 2 meters wide on adverage 3 meters in places for the most part the burn is pretty dirty with sewage or rubbish. there are multiple bridges that cross it. There is a weir further up from the town where the mill race comes from heres a few pictures of the burn
1550596145107.jpg

The old milltown bridge where my uncle lives
1550596248695.jpg

Wide shot of the burn
1550596334078.jpg

Old Kettcar Safari 1996 this was washed up by a huge flood a few weeks ago.

LARGANTOGHER BROOK
First brook im looking into is the largantogher brook. The brook rises in the craigmore heights in a small spring beside someones house. The brook runs open in a channel through this field we used to jump over it here you would think there is no brook because in summer its all covered in water weeds ect wintertime you can see it nothing more than a trickle here except if it has been raining. The brook turns a corner into the Big tunnel that i will be exploring next but sadly i will not explore this section because the culvert here is only 3 feet in diameter and there is a grille here thats padlocked so no point and i hate crawling on all 4 because of what could be in the tunnel.
I was told the brook ran along the road here by my granny whole way down to the main road she said we used to play in the brook it was crystal clear but that was over 50 years ago so now its been culverted ever since.
I know where the outfall is even though i never seen it its in a small wood beside Craigadick Housing Estate I will mooch here hopefully this week and see if the tunnel is big enough to walk in.
The brook flows behind the houses of Craigadick here until it flows under the road in a 5 foot culvert that will be up at the weekend. The brook exits here and flows briefly down the hill into The Largantogher Haunted Tunnel which if you seen my last report on flows under cherryhill and out into the Old Plantin. The Brook flows a quarter of a mile through the dense forest meets up with the polluted lost brook then flows under dead mans bridge and into the open for around half a mile then flows into the mullagh culvert that i also mooched in before exiting through an iron flap flowing a couple of meters and empting into the milltown burn. And thats pretty much this little brooks course.

Here is a few pictures to any newcomers.
1550593406280.jpg

Gated inflow of the Big Culvert And Dried Out Largantogher Brook.
1550593596543.jpg

Brook Emptying Into Old Plantin Haunted Tunnel
1550593846924.jpg

Mullagh Culvert penstock valve. I think its used to reduce flooding from the larger milltown burn Where the brook meets the burn this gives you an example of how powerfull this little brook is as it managed to lift up the flap and wedge all that waste under there is a huge tree branch caught behind the flap i looked in behind it.

MILLBURN RACE
Millburn race is a short waterway thats diverted of the milltown burn to power a mill thats located very close to the bridge now the race is just an open sewer these days as newer houses have there sewer lines go into the race there is a tunnel at the mill you can stand under the water outfalls from an iron pipe on the ceiling from the mill. on from the mill the water just barely flows behind the hedge of the field the water is pure stagnaint the race runs behind my uncles back fence and meets up with the burn once again.
1550597794584.jpg

under the mill tunnel you can see the cast iron pipe here
1550597866101.jpg

The race behind my uncles yard.

GLYNN BROOK
This is a brook i know little about i know where it starts at but its on private land so all i can show you for now is a picture of an open section of it im not sure where the outlet is for this brook

1550598315621.png

as you can see there is Glynn brook the only open section i know of so far if the infall is not gated i will explore but i will definantly look at the top tunnel.

SILVERHILL BROOK
Silverhill brook is small brook only a trickle for the most part i do not know where the infall is but i will explore the tunnel a wee bit the oulet is only 3 feet in diameter i have been inside it before back in the
summer. the brook flows next to the lane fo most of its course and then meets beaver brook and finally empties into the milltown burn.
1550598776740.jpg
1550598881416.jpg

The outlet of the tunnel and a sewer discharge.

BEAVER BROOK
this brook is the one i know little about i never seen the outlet or infall just at the side of the road that leads up to my house i will look into it soon

LOST BROOK
The lost brook is a small forgotten brook that now acts as a CSO i think there is a chamber up the tunnel where the lost brook flows and a penstock that empties foul water in. I remember when the brook was a little clearer years ago anyways the brook starts somewhere at the bottom of the town. It used to flow above ground as my granny said until it was covered over gradually starting with meeting house and finally largantogher park the lost brook only now flows 50 meters above ground as it exits a 3 foot concrete pipe which releases noxious egg or milk smell most of the time its also a hotspot for people to dump bikes or scooters or anything for that matter of the outlet and into the poop filled pool beneath it. the brook trickles through the old plantin with rags littering almost the whole thing until it meets the largantogher brook on dead mans walk.

1550600110495.jpg

Lost Brook emerging from the darkness.

1550600202532.jpg

Bikes and rubbish in the pond below the outlet.
1550600513963.jpg

The brook in the plantin
Right guys what brook should i explore after the Largantogher Brook I want to hear your thaughts. These are all the major brooks and Burns in my town more comming soon.

View attachment 794251

Who has read this thread (Total: 184) View details