real time web analytics
Report - - Lucas CAV / Delphi Diesel Systems - Sudbury, Suffolk - 2021/2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lucas CAV / Delphi Diesel Systems - Sudbury, Suffolk - 2021/2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Well this was a rare first for me nowadays, exploring somewhere that I used to work! In fact I worked here for nearly 9 years, doing my apprenticeship with the company after I left school and going on to do a couple of other roles before I moved on in 2013. Because of that I actually already knew the site like the back of my hand. Part of our apprenticeship involved working placements in every area of the business so theres probably not a room in the whole building I've not been in before. Still there was no way I was going to let it end up a heap of rubble before going back for one last look around. I was surprised in fact. I didn't expect the be able to produce a particularly interesting set of photos or a lengthy report from my efforts at all. I was only really into it for a bit of nostalgia. In reality tho once I got back in there I realised there was still a fair bit to see, mainly down to it being a proper factory! Modern factories have become little more then tin sheds with machines inside here in contrast it was very traditional with all the engineering and welfare facilities that nowadays have vanished from a lot of firms. I also have a million and one storys to tell, things to explain plus a bit of a desire to do the place justice so in fact, i suspect this is going to be pretty lengthy and probably in several parts so bare with me!!

CAV stands for Charles Anthony Vandervell who started the company back in the Victorian era. Over the years the company has made numerous different products but are certainly today are most famous for their diesel injection systems. CAV was bought by Lucas in the 1920s and for a short period was also merged with Bosch in the mid 1930s (that didn't last to long for obvious reasons). The company initially had factories in London but came to Sudbury in 1944 setting up a workshop in 'the new hall' in new street. Randomly this very building is still there and also sitting derelict so I made sure I had a look at that too. It's quite a contrast to the massive 60s beast of a plant but i guess that's what 20 years of progress gets you! The New Hall works was probably only a temporary war time measure anyway as in 1952 the company built a proper purpose built factory on the site of a former chalk quarry in Cornard road. Sadly that one is no longer with us. From what people have told me i believe it probably closed in either the late 80s or early 90s and has become a housing development known as 'Lucas road'.

New Hall Works 1948

New Hall Exterior 2022

New Hall Works 1945

New Hall Interior 2022

Cornard Road Works 1966

The Alexander Road factory, sometimes referred to as the Chilton Works was built in 1964. Initially half the size it is today the rear half was added in two extensions during the late 60s and early 70s. Its said at its height over 3000 people worked there but by the time I joined it was more like 900 in boom times and 700 in the 2008 recession. Still this probably made it the largest engineering employer in Suffolk! It went through numerous name changes over the years as the Lucas group was rearranged and eventually sold off. Initially just CAV it was soon Lucas CAV and then Lucas Diesel Systems.. in 1996 it became Lucas Varity when the two companies merged and then that was swallowed up by TRW in 1999. Almost straight away TRW offloaded the diesel business onto Delphi who are essentially a spinoff of US giant General Motors.. Throughout my time there it was Delphi Diesel Systems but shortly before closure in the wake of diesels bad press and impending doom the diesel part of the name was dropped.

Chilton Works Construction 1963

Chilton Works 1971 (after its first extension)

The site in 2020

There were quite a few other plants in the group. In the UK we had Gillingham in Kent (Lucas Medway) and Stonehouse in Gloucestershire. Plus a pair in France and many more further afield. Closure of the Sudbury plant was announced in 2017. Closure had been on the cards a few times in the past but the plant had always managed to wriggle free. This time the writing was on the wall however. Who knows exactly why Sudbury was the one to go but I'd guess it was most likely the dated infrastructure and value of the land that swung it. The factory finally closed in July 2020 around the same time that the remainder of the business was sold off to Borg Warner. There are plans to demolish the site for houses. Ofcourse.

When the closure was first announced I had high hope's of getting back early on in the process when all the machines and what not were still there but as more of the people I knew left and the place wound down it was clear it was probably going to be emptied before it had even really closed. Once of the problems of planned closures for explorers I guess.. covid was the final obstacle and probably the main reason this report is a year late!

After a couple of initially recces I was surprised to find the site pretty much deserted. I had expected security to still be in the gatehouse but the place seemed left for dead. Typically by my next visit it had sprouted a security guard but luckily he didn't appear to do anything other than sit out front in his car. With a bit of insider knowledge getting in proved fairly easy but I think without knowing the place so well it wouldn't have been so simple. Not only was the building well locked up it was also quite well locked inside with many internal doors pad locked and not a sign of any of your usual derelict building smashing or anything like that. Again, thankfully I knew how to bypass most of said locks! I spent a good few hours inside reminiscing and finding my way around all the padlocked doors. In the end there were a couple of bits I couldn't manage like the front foyer and medical rooms but I didn't try too hard as it was already in the back of my mind I would need a return visit and may have another chance.. Sure enough after a more recent visit 'other people' had clearly been paying the place some attention too and i found most of those parts had suddenly become accessible..

Initially I found the majority if the plant well stripped and fairly empty. It was a bit of a disappointment to find nearly every piece of machinery and equipment in the whole place had been moved out. I was hoping at least for some of the older more redundant stuff to still be there or maybe for some of the offices and workshops to be untouched but it wasn't really to be.. The one bit that bucked the trend was the boiler house. The boilers and basement were always an interesting part of the factory so I suspected it might make one of the more interesting parts to explore but it was far better to look around again than I remembered it. It's got a really dated feel about it and and luckily it was totally untouched too! At least on the first few visits.

The other 'best part' I had to leave for another day.. the social club sits at the back of the site, an amazing 60s club with sports field, bowls green and tennis courts. We actually had our 6 form leaving 'prom' in there in 2004. I remember thinking how it was a bit shit to have a 'posh doo' in the shadow of a shitty old factory.. then a couple of months later I was working in said shitty factory.. lol.. Anyway back then the club was run by the company itself in the traditional way. Up until 2003 it was actually still part of the factory grounds and I remember when I first started getting warned of the strict rules about getting caught in the club during works hours.. it was all a bit redundant by then tho as they had built a new access road down to it and fenced it off from the factory to stop people doing too much of that kind of thing a year earlier. Back then we paid 50p a week out of our wages to be members but I dont think I ever actually set foot in there for leisure purposes. Well not outside of work anyway, we were always dreaming up excuses to go over there and skive off as apprentices! I remember doing such dumb jobs as having to catalogue all the ladders on site and being told not to forget the ones over the club.. cue half a week of sitting over the club fucking about while telling anyone who asked 'we are just looking for ladders'..

Like most good things eventually the company decided they wanted to ditch it and stopped taking the 50p off us. Luckily the council stepped in and became lease holders to keep it open but mostly just for golden oldies types to go to ballroom dancing club in I think. Like most old clubs there was no real imagination or embracing of quite what a gem of a building it actually is and I'm sure there wont be before the bulldozers move in either!

Maybe we should start with some externals first.

Frontage with canopies over the two 'workers' entrances

'Goods in' Side, Central Services Workshop on the corner followed by Canteen loading bay behind the roller shutter, then Substation, Boiler and Compressor House, Oil Stores, Goods in Warehouse etc..

Substation and start of the Boiler House

Up on the roof, There rear half has two penthouses containing ventilation fans and chiller equipment for the chilled water supply, a good hiding place!

The Fire Station and Security Lodge at the front of site (complete with sleepy security guard!)

Waste water treatment plant near the gatehouse, all the drains on site drained here to prevent contamination of the local drains.

View down the 'dispatch side', The road on the left was added to access the social club in 2004

The social club

Cracking planters!

Bowls Green

Tennis Courts, long disused

Attachments

• 20211107_093937 (2).jpg
    20211107_093937 (2).jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220501_090634.jpg
    20220501_090634.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User

Where better to start than the lobby.. The door in the corner was a cupboard used by the IT department to store all kind of old computer stuff i wish i had now.

In my initial years there the reception desk used to be staffed by a nice lady called Jo. Later on they must have realised it was a bit of a waste of money employing a full time receptionist to just sit in a booth all day (behind a set of locked gates no visitors could get past) and she moved out to the security lodge! She had one other function i remember. Back in the days before we all had to pay to use our mobiles if you wanted to get in touch with someone in the factory in a hurry you could phone her and she would put a call out over the tannoy system.. 'such and such contact switch board' Thing is she was so used to doing it the words just slurred into one big syllable and as a newbie you couldn't actually pick out what she was saying at all.. She was so good as doing the identical call every time i took quite some convincing that it wasn't just a recording when i first started.

The stairs lead up to the main offices and the doors go through into the surgery

The Surgery was actually much more extensive than i remembered it. About 8 rooms in total, its almost like a full on doctors surgery in there, but really just rooms full of desks and beds so i didn't take many photos.

Next to the main 'posh' entrance there was a workers entrance that us lowly 'non staff' lot would use. This room here was once the main locker room. It had rows and rows of mesh cage lockers some of which didn't look like they had been touched since the 70s. We used to look around it as apprentices poking stuff through the mesh to see if we could hook out some kind of long abandoned vintage work wear or ancient union handbook.. Eventually they decided to strip it out and we were allowed to break into any still locked lockers and take what we wanted.. One of my favourite days at work! When i left the room was used to remanufacture Volvo truck injectors. they took in used injectors, stripped and cleaned then, fitted new nozzles and built and tested them. All low volume with one guy in there most of the time.. On the left is the union office too. Forgot to look in there, but i bet thats the shop stewards sleeping chair!

Next out onto the shop floor. For about 6 months after i finished my apprenticeship i had to work on the line here running a pair of Bahmueller cylindrical grinders. The company didn't guarantee you a job after your apprenticeship and as i finished in 2008 (and there was a recession on) all they had was production work. It was a good experience tho if a little boring. The grinders machined pins that went into nozzle control valves for DAF truck injectors. In the injector the NCV was operated by a solenoid and switched fuel pressure on and off from the back of the main nozzle/needle valve to control when the injector injected fuel. It was a newish design at the time as diesel injectors had only recently moved over from being a purely mechanical device. The machine did a 'match grind' where it measured the bore of the valve body on an air gauge, essentially a false pin that went in the bore and measured how much air flowed through the clearance around it. It then ground the pins to match the bore 'exactly'. It did trays of 12 at a time and took about 15mins per tray if i recall correctly. A robotic loader did most of the hard work so in theory all you had to do was load in the trays and keep an eye on it. As it took two trays at a time if you were brave you could bugger off for half hour and leave it to run but you risked it faulting out the second you walked away and then your manager wanting to know why you lost 30mins worth of production!! In reality you had to keep a pretty close eye on it. This machining wasn't the kind of thing you could measure with a micrometer so after machining all the parts had to go into another machine that tested the clearance around the pin in a similar way to the air gauge (but this time with hydraulic test oil ,basically highly refined diesel) This created a bit of a guessing game where you couldn't actually check the work you had done until about 30mins after you had done it. In the mean time you could have made 30mins worth of scrap. You had to watch the results of the test rig on a graph and then try and input changes on the grinder 30mins behind time. Not an easy task when someone opening the door to the lobby caused a temperature change enough to throw the machine from one side of the tolerance to the other! It really was the thin end of what is possible in the machining world. Sub micron tolerances!

Discarded chiller pipework. This area was known as 'Line 5' and made injector nozzles for the old rotary style injection systems used on 80s/90s cars (like the one i still drive!)

Heres the shop floor in the 60s showing what was originally in here. These are Wickman 6 spindle lathes. These are basically like 6 lathes in one. 6 bars being machined at a time, each spindle does one operation and the spindles rotate round to the next bar each time. How it was done before the days of CNC!

This is the same area today. The Wickmans survived well into the 2010s with about 10 still going in 2004 but they had all gone by 2010ish. They made the nozzle 'blanks' but were eventually replaced by CNC machines. Note the oil dripping off the roof here. The floor was constantly washed to stop slips and trips but after a couple of years empty its getting a bit traitorous in there!

This area with the blue floor was the heat treatment department. Lots of ancient furnaces that over the years have turned the ceiling black! Was surprised they had bothered to strip this all out. Scrap yes but i bet they were full of asbestos too!

The training school. Our home as apprentices, we had to share it with the toolroom in my day but they got rid of that in latter years.

Not alot left inside

Heres the training school in the 70s tho.. It didn't look that dissimilar. We still had the same benches and metal folding brake which was a source of much contention with one of the guys who worked in the tool room and treated it like his first born child for some reason..

Next up the tool stores. Another favourite place to hang out. The storeman would serve you from the hatch and (at least when i started) it seemed like you could find anything in there! Booking stuff out involved searching the ancient 'AS400' computer system, some kind of legacy database system from the 80s that somehow still worked on windows XP but still looked like you were viewing it on an original IBM PC complete with green text monitor. The search function was about as basic as it got, you had to know exactly what the part was listed as or things would be impossible to find, google it was not!! For instance a 6mm drill bit could be listed as 'drill 6.0mm' and a search for 'drill' would pick it up but if someone had listed it as '6.0mm drill' the search wouldn't pick it up unless you put in '6.0mm drill' exactly. A favourite pass time of us apprentices was searching the system to see what long lost forgotten treasures we could find. We developed a bit of a strategy of just searching the alphabet from A-Z and scrolling through the 100s of pages of random unidentifiable part numbers and what not until we spotted something interesting.. One day i distinctly remember us finding a listing for a 'porkpie hat'.. At the time we were clueless to what a pork pie hat actually was but there was only one way to find out! We filled in one of the pink stores requisition tickets with the part number and location for this 'porkpie hat', like usual signed it in something other than our own names. (Mickey mouse and Donald duck was used if you were feeling brave) and apprehensively queued up at the hatch to see what we got! A pork pie hat of course!! By the next week all 10 or so apprentices were proudly sporting new headwear much to our managers annoyance..

On occasion we got let inside either to search for something obscure or do some kind of menial apprentice task. It was once filled with these dexion shelves but most seemed to have been cleared out.

Behind the main stores was the oil stores, like a little petrol station but for oils. One oil on offer was the ISO test oil used by all the injector test rigs. This was basically diesel and used to go missing quite a bit by all accounts (apparently one guy got sacked for stealing a litre it in his thermos flask each day!)

Next to the oil stores the Vendor Quality department were responsible for testing incoming materials

This was the 'bulk stores' with everything shelved on pallet racking.

Next up the central services workshops. Central services looked after the building and all the various services, electrics, airlines etc. the door was locked here but somehow I remembered the code after 9 years!

No idea why they left the guillotine behind. Think it was the only machine in the whole place not to be removed.

The welding bay or probably more accurately the smoking bay..

Moving round a bit more I found he back entrance to the offices open.. Just check out the state of the roof. Even in my day a thick oil haze used to hang over the shop floor on warm summers days. If you left anything out for more than a few weeks it would turn all sticky.. The ceiling had 50 years of it!

The main front offices housed Drawing office, purchasing, HR, Factory managers etc.

The wages office retains its nice walk in safe

A few drawings of some products. Fuel filters and Heavy Duty injectors

and some of the tooling we made. Was surprised to see this still all this still up on the wall as most of this is what i had a hand in designing/making at some point.

Another favourite hangout of mine was the Lab. Before I left I was responsible for the maintence in here and was trusted with a key. The mad professor type guy who worked in there only worked day shift so whenever I was on lates I could just go hang out in there and rummage through the various draws and cupboards of old stuff looking for treasures..

Used to be a friar bit more in here but at least some of it survives to give an idea of what it was like.

Next to the lab one of the many hidden plant rooms around the site.

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
That's lovely, my previous workplace was closing down around me just prior to the pandemic and I got a few shots of the cleared and closed off areas but nothing at all on that scale.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Added some more but still only about 1/3rd of the place. Forum software is a nightmare for long reports! Will get the rest added a few at a time over the next few weeks

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Always enjoy reading these nostalgic reports of places that have some personal significance. Very well covered so far.

Hopefully one day I'll have the similar opportunity to do the same.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Very nice, it’s always kinda weird exploring somewhere you’ve worked at - have done it at two sites now and it’s just kinda weird thinking back to how it was.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Looking forward to the rest of this wherever you get the time. The write-up is fascinating with all the tales of your time there - I especially like the porkpie hat story.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That must have been a surreal experience. Another great in depth report.