real time web analytics
Question - - Maenofferen | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Maenofferen

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Foxyflame

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looking for a little advice on this one as I am choosing this as the first place to take my partner who has never done any urbex though is an experienced hiker and adventurer. I've read all the reports I can find and it seems a good one, possibly slightly easier than cwt-y-bugail which I did last time I was in the area.

Firstly where is best to park (I am in a small van), and what is the best route to approach. I am looking at the car park in the town and the direct footpath up? It seems obvious but it is a public footpath according to OS. Secondly is there anything special kit wise I should take (harness, rope) or is it all scramblable. Thirdly, are there security areas to avoid? My main concern with the whole thing is, as always, being subtle. I know as more people are visiting there is more security and everything which on one hand I understand but on the other is a bit poopy.

Very much looking forward to this one. Hope to get my partner into doing this more as he has rather an interest in history.

Ps. I promise I will try and remember to get some pictures and do a report. I've did a fair few places last spring, but always got out and face palmed that I was so caught up I forgot to take pictures. I did get some of the Talgarth Hospital and then was bad and got distracted by work and never submitted a report

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
There is a public footpath that goes up pretty much the entire way to the top although it's not an easy path to follow sometimes and is a real slog. You could do the easier thing and walk up the vehicle tracks which go right to the top where the buildings are, I don't think people really care too much.

jones-y-gog

Putting the fun in dysfunctional
Regular User
As mookster says you can follow the public footpath. If you're experienced hikers you won't find it too challenging. There's one bit that briefly crosses some partly used area (maybe I'd taken a slightly wrong path!). Once you're at the site you can just wander around and enjoy the relics of industrial history all around, and the views - no climbing gear needed. There are some warnings but you'd have to be very unlucky if anyone challenged you. You could also consider parking at the top end of Walter Terrace, just after where the houses end.

I need to get back up there tbh, as the daylight was fading when I went and was without my tripod so I wasn't too happy with my photos.

20220209_171637.jpg

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
When I went you can pretty much freely wander around the quarry, theres loads of people walking around the tips with dogs. There was a bloke in a landrover parked at the mill when I came out but left after 5 mins.

You can also get to it (if the weathers good) by parking at Cwt-y-Bugail and following the rhiwbach tramway

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Are you intending doing the surface stuff and underground? Or just the surface stuff?

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Yeah no special gear needed just a slog up the hill and a walk down into the mine. Just make sure you have torches and spare batteries etc. Quite an easy one to navigate you’re way around. Obviously just be sensible about where you’re walking.

I parked at Walter terrace last time i went.