real time web analytics
Report - - Maenofferen Slate Quarry, North Wales 2023 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Maenofferen Slate Quarry, North Wales 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

saaben

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the heads up Tom. It was my mates first time at Maenofferen last year and it blew him away. So when I suggested a revisit this May he didn't need any persuading.
It'll be amazing whatever we decide to do whatever the weather.
The dilemma has shifted to not wanting to come home.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great shots, I'm not really into quarries as much as I should be but seeing this really makes me want to take a look. Really nice report!

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You did a cracking job lighting the place up! the last underground shot is great, really gives a scale with the tiny ladder at the top!

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
You did a cracking job lighting the place up! the last underground shot is great, really gives a scale with the tiny ladder at the top!

Cheers Raz - we looked down one of the openings into another cavern from above that was similar to that shot and the scale from the side is a little mind melting lol

Richie56

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely pics!

(this comment is *not* aimed at OP!!)

A bit contradictory of me to say it on a public forum, but I'm getting quite worried how much stuff is getting posted online about Maenofferen in the last 2 years, it feels like it's suddenly blown up as a social media thing on YouTube and suchlike. It worries me because the owners are already doing things like dumping slate waste to make access harder and it'd be a huge huge shame if a nice relaxed site became a pain because of the GoonTube brigade, worried it's going that way.
The tunnel that gains access to the winch house and main entrance to the mine has been totally filled in to prevent relatively easy access to the mine, there is other access into the mine via a roof fall but I think this is far from easy access to the mine. Obviously ill equipped explorer's have possibly pushed this move. It also looks like things have been removed from the mill buildings to lessen the attraction for photography. It was 21st August 23.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
The tunnel that gains access to the winch house and main entrance to the mine has been totally filled in to prevent relatively easy access to the mine, there is other access into the mine via a roof fall but I think this is far from easy access to the mine. Obviously ill equipped explorer's have possibly pushed this move. It also looks like things have been removed from the mill buildings to lessen the attraction for photography. It was 21st August 23.
That's not helpful to people like mine divers where their access was already difficult due to the walk in. Shame!!

Richie56

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely pics!

(this comment is *not* aimed at OP!!)

A bit contradictory of me to say it on a public forum, but I'm getting quite worried how much stuff is getting posted online about Maenofferen in the last 2 years, it feels like it's suddenly blown up as a social media thing on YouTube and suchlike. It worries me because the owners are already doing things like dumping slate waste to make access harder and it'd be a huge huge shame if a nice relaxed site became a pain because of the GoonTube brigade, worried it's going that way.
Very much too lots of work going on in the mill early 2024 ie asbestos removal etc. What the plans are for this mill I’m not sure. The roof beams in the mill are deteriating greatly. The adit through to the main winding house has been filled in making entry to the mine difficult and dangerous I believe this is an attempt to keep the unequipped out of the mine. I think also there is a concern about vandalism, I remember visiting this site many years back when it was more complete and accessible sadly weather, time, and vandalism has changed this.

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
I doubt the adit has been filled in as it’s part of the UNESCo site listing.

We were there last weekend and nothing had changed around the lower workings

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
I doubt the adit has been filled in as it’s part of the UNESCo site listing.

We were there last weekend and nothing had changed around the lower workings

The main adit had been blocked last time we went around September last year. We managed access via a different route but it was a bit more difficult. We were shocked at the number of groups down there on this visit. There must of been 4 or 5 different groups of people wandering around on the main level although it was quiet on the lower levels.

Who has read this thread (Total: 208) View details