real time web analytics
Report - - Maenofferen Slate Quarry, North Wales 2023 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Maenofferen Slate Quarry, North Wales 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
This is somewhere I have wanted to visit for a while, and discussed with with @monk years ago, but Covid got in the way and I have only recently made it up. All I can I was not prepared for how much steep walking this would involve, my legs were shot at the end of the day. Going up, to go down, to go up, to go back down is exhausting lol.

Easily some of the largest underground caverns I have witnessed.

Quick history hastily copied from the internet:

Maenofferen Slate Mine forms part of the extensive Blaenau Ffestiniog complex of mines that occupy the area between the Manod and Moelwyn Mountains. Maenofferen is one of the higher level mines, with the processing floor at over 400m above sea level. It began operating on a piecemeal basis in the late 18th Century, principally as part of an open cast mining area, known as David Jones pit. The first company to formally extract slate was the Maenofferen Slate Quarry Company Ltd formed in 1861, when the land and existing quarry was leased from the owner Lord Newborough. The quarry proved very successful, its output increased from 397 tons in 1861 to 8,600 tons in 1882, the fifth largest producer in the Ffestiniog area. In 1897 it employed 429 people, but by 1972 this had fallen to 60 men with an annual output of 1,200 tons. Quarrying still continues on the site today - with Maenofferen now owned by J. W. Greaves and Sons Ltd, Blaenau Ffestiniog - although underground operations ceased in 1999 and none of the above ground complex of buildings at Maenofferen remains in use.

The below ground mine workings of Maenofferen Slate Mine occupy an area approximately 1922m by 480m by 225m and the associated above ground complex of buildings and infrastructure are indicative of many phases in the quarries development. The quarry therefore provides considerable information for understanding the development and process of underground extraction, the above ground processing, and the onward transport of the slate, to its worldwide markets.

Photos (slate seems to absorb all light):

DDG_2446.jpg

DDG_2380.jpg

DDG_2384.jpg

DDG_2386.jpg

DDG_2389.jpg

DDG_2409.jpg

DDG_2399.jpg

DDG_2430.jpg

DDG_2428.jpg

DDG_2424.jpg

DDG_2396.jpg

Some from the workshops:

DDG_2523.jpg

DDG_2498.jpg

DDG_2497.jpg

DDG_2473.jpg

DDG_2467.jpg

DDG_2453.jpg

DDG_2463.jpg

DDG_2470.jpg

DDG_2476.jpg

DDG_2524.jpg

Last edited:

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Lovely pics!

(this comment is *not* aimed at OP!!)

A bit contradictory of me to say it on a public forum, but I'm getting quite worried how much stuff is getting posted online about Maenofferen in the last 2 years, it feels like it's suddenly blown up as a social media thing on YouTube and suchlike. It worries me because the owners are already doing things like dumping slate waste to make access harder and it'd be a huge huge shame if a nice relaxed site became a pain because of the GoonTube brigade, worried it's going that way.

saaben

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
HughieD,
me and my mate visited end of June last year. We made our way up through Votty and Bowydd , over a slate tip and as we started to walk towards the workshops a truck with two workers / security guys pulled up. They had arrived to erect the danger sign nearest the camera.
You couldn't have made this up.
After a friendly chat and a warning we couldn't go inside we hung around at the top end and had lunch.
About an hour later they had finished and cleared off.
We couldn't believe our bad luck / timing but they were only doing their job.
Needless to say we did respect their authority 'till they were out of site.

CantClimbTom

28DL Full Member
Ps......SIGHT not site;
Write a hundred lines.............I must not lose sight of the sign on the site. Doh!
If they had lunch high enough up a tip, they might have been able to see them them leave... then they might have watched them going out of the site? 🤣 That'd be a sight, but only if they'd been sited right. If not then it'd be as you cited.

Or we could admire the pics...

Last edited:

saaben

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi CCTom......
Like your reply but (as I understand) you want to see my pics, I have a good selection but I'm a techno dummy and seem to struggle when trying to upload ? my pics.

I also have a dilemma to solve too.
In two weeks we will be back in Blaenau for a Mon to Thurs afternoon visit. We are planning on doing, Rhiwbach Tramway, Wrysgan, Rhosydd, plus there is the Back Vein at Maenofferen to explore as we ran out of time on our last visit.
Thinking also of visiting The Spiral on the Ffestiniog and the original terminus at Dinas. Then there is the Oakeley tips to nosy around.

Too much to do and not enough days.

CantClimbTom

28DL Full Member
Be extra discrete around Oakley, the zig zag path up from the valley is a bit obvious (you can be seen walking up it from a mile away) and you might be greeted by the Oakley security guard when you get to the start of the quarry.

CantClimbTom

28DL Full Member
Not sure as to your dilemma, with that lot to choose from you'll have a great time. What I'd is to balance how much above ground and how much below ground based on the weather you get, but that's just me!
Enjoy...

Who has read this thread (Total: 208) View details