real time web analytics
Report - - Maiden Law Hospital Mortuary, Lanchester, June 2016. | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Maiden Law Hospital Mortuary, Lanchester, June 2016.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

SirHissjunior

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yup, another Maiden Law report. I originally visited here in the summer of 2014 and after recently upgrading to full frame I wanted to revisit places to see the difference in my images from then and now.
I have a wee soft spot for Maiden Law. As much as it is well known and has been frequently visited over the past few years it still remains free from the usual graffiti, vandalism and theft we see other spots have fallen victim to, most notably, Selly Oaks :banghead

We are all pretty familiar with the history but here it is anyway;

'Early in 1902 the Medical Officer of Health for Consett, Dr. A. D. M. MacIntyre, being worried about the possibility of an outbreak of Smallpox in the area, suggested in his annual report that the Lanchester Joint Hospital Board should provide a special Hospital in some central position exclusively for the isolation of this disease. Chaos due to cross infection would result if cases of Scarlet Fever and Small pox were congregated together in one ward. To the Board’s credit, prompt action ensued. Within a year, in 1903, a permanent Smallpox Hospital, known as Howden Bank or Maiden Law Smallpox Hospital had been erected at Mawsfield, Maiden Law. This was a galvanised iron building on the opposite side of the road to the present Sanitorium. In this instance combined Medical foresight and administrative action was rewarded because in 1903 an outbreak of twenty-two cases of Smallpox occurred and these were removed directly to the new Hospital.

In 1906 Tuberculosis was a major problem in Consett. Great difficulty occurred in admitting cases to Stanhope Sanitorium, which was at that time the nearest establishment for this disease. It was hoped that the County Authorities would undertake the erection of a local public Sanitorium. By 1906 the Smallpox epidemic having subsided, the vacant Howden Bank Smallpox Hospital was temporarily converted to a small Sanitorium and this afforded an interim solution to the problem. Patients on admission were obliged to pay 12s. 6d. a week, as a proportion of the cost of treatment.

Between the two wars Howden Bank reverted to its original use for Smallpox cases. After the Second World War, with the virtual disappearance of Smallpox, the Hospital was sold to Laing & Co. and was used as a clothing factory. While in use in this capacity, the building was destroyed by fire.
To summarise the situation in Consett and district so far, there existed by 1910 a Workhouse Hospital at Lanchester, an Iron Company Infirmary at Consett, an Isolation Hospital at Leadgate (Villa Real), and Howden Bank Smallpox Hospital and a Sanitorium. It is difficult to realise that just over fifty years ago, Consett, with its population of 30,000 had still no facilities for Surgical or Hospital Maternity work, and had to rely on transfer of cases to either Newcastle or Durham'

Enjoy!

Edit1_zps3mhbzhet.gif

View attachment 685703

View attachment 685704

View attachment 685705

View attachment 685706

View attachment 685707

View attachment 685708

View attachment 685709

View attachment 685710

View attachment 685711

View attachment 685712

View attachment 685713

View attachment 685714

View attachment 685715

scalpels

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thank you for some excellent shots. I've only just joined the site. My intention is to visit as many of the NE locations as possible. ( One of the 'benefits' of being made redundant so plenty of time on my hands LOL ).

Looked at quite a few locations on here - but must say that Maiden Law has something about it!

Thanks again for the great shots.

skyline

28DL Member
28DL Member
Excellent shots! I went to visit here few days ago unfortunately it has been secured shut with security bolts where it looked like previous explorers had gained entry so was unable to get inside :(

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really need to make the effort to visit here. I've been in the area twice over the last few months but haven't had the chance!

Selly Oak is half demolished now fyi!