real time web analytics
Report - - Majestic Cinema AKA ‘The Haunted Museum’, Nottingham - December 2022 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Majestic Cinema AKA ‘The Haunted Museum’, Nottingham - December 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Majestic Cinema AKA ‘The Haunted Museum

Some history lifted from Cinema Treasures
Located in the Mapperley district north Nottingham. The Majestic Cinema was opened 10th June 1929 with H.B. Warner in “Sorrell and Son”. It was designed by architect A.J. Thraves, and the circle was at street level, due to the lay of the land, with the stalls accessed downstairs. It had a 27 feet wide proscenium. Initially an Electrochord sound system was installed, later a Marshall sound system, and in the mid-1930’s a Western Electric(WE) sound system.
The Majestic Cinema was closed on 7th September 1957 with David Tomlinson in “Carry on Admiral” and Pat O'Brien in “Kill Me Tomorrow”. The building was a furniture store for many years, but by 2012 was empty and unused.​

In 2018 the former cinema had a new lease of life as the ‘Haunted Museum’ but due to the deteriorating condition of the building it moved to a new home in the basement of Hopkinsons, Station Street in Nottingham city centre in June 2021.

In October 2020 the building was given Grade II due to the distinctive Spanish style of its facade and the highly-wrought interior of the auditorium, in particular the ornate plasterwork which ‘harks back to the splendours of the Edwardian baroque’.

majestic.jpg

120582631_3326153044130508_3055115166510230156_n.jpg

01 (1).jpg

Former auditorium

01 (17).jpg

01 (16).jpg

Small foyer

01 (19).jpg

Presumably this was once the ticket booth

01 (14).jpg

The only old-ish or cinema related stuff I could rummage

01 (6).jpg

01 (18).jpg

The rest of the place is too chopped around with to tell what was what but there were a couple of locked or long boarded off areas so who knows what may be hidden somewhere

01 (3).jpg

01 (4).jpg

01 (5).jpg

01 (7).jpg

01 (8).jpg

01 (9).jpg

01 (10).jpg

01 (11).jpg

01 (12).jpg

01 (13).jpg

01 (15).jpg

01 (20).jpg

Nothing amazing but a bit of light hearted entertainment nevertheless.

PureFilth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report, this building is surprisingly character-less for a place of such age. I must say as well, the spelling and grammar in those Haunted Museum information cards must be the scariest part of it all.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That old ceiling is pretty nice & some interesting artefacts left in there.
nice report

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Haha I didn't see any ghosts, no.

I will mention that the 'new' Haunted Museum in the city centre is well worth a visit, plenty of Victorian funeral tat and they even have the body fridge from the mortuary at Denbigh, what more could you want?

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Different. Looks like a mishmash of styles. Some strange props around. That photo in the frame is enough to freak me out. :eek:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's a bit different. Decent report mate. You keep finding these places in Nottingham. Respect!

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report, this building is surprisingly character-less for a place of such age. I must say as well, the spelling and grammar in those Haunted Museum information cards must be the scariest part of it all.
I was literally thinking the same, it’s shocking!

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Like the colours in the auditorium, think the haunted museum bits take away from the overall character though, nice pics and report.

Lorna lee

28DL Member
28DL Member
Majestic Cinema AKA ‘The Haunted Museum

Some history lifted from Cinema Treasures

In 2018 the former cinema had a new lease of life as the ‘Haunted Museum’ but due to the deteriorating condition of the building it moved to a new home in the basement of Hopkinsons, Station Street in Nottingham city centre in June 2021.

In October 2020 the building was given Grade II due to the distinctive Spanish style of its facade and the highly-wrought interior of the auditorium, in particular the ornate plasterwork which ‘harks back to the splendours of the Edwardian baroque’.

majestic.jpg

120582631_3326153044130508_3055115166510230156_n.jpg

01 (1).jpg

Former auditorium

01 (17).jpg

01 (16).jpg

Small foyer

01 (19).jpg

Presumably this was once the ticket booth

01 (14).jpg

The only old-ish or cinema related stuff I could rummage

01 (6).jpg

01 (18).jpg

The rest of the place is too chopped around with to tell what was what but there were a couple of locked or long boarded off areas so who knows what may be hidden somewhere

01 (3).jpg

01 (4).jpg

01 (5).jpg

01 (7).jpg

01 (8).jpg

01 (9).jpg

01 (10).jpg

01 (11).jpg

01 (12).jpg

01 (13).jpg

01 (15).jpg

01 (20).jpg

Nothing amazing but a bit of light hearted entertainment nevertheless.

Hi this is beautiful where is it so I can take pictures and get in

Who has read this thread (Total: 385) View details