real time web analytics
Report - - Mandale Mine Derbyshire August '18 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mandale Mine Derbyshire August '18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Today I did a solo visit to Mandale mine in Lathkill Dale. There is three tunnel that I entered, the aqueduct level, the main entrance and the sough. The BBC was predicting thunderstorms and the met office wasn't so I decided to head up on my motorbike into the peak district. The aqueduct level is a small crawly affair which I follow for a hundred metres or so before hitting a collapse where I gave up. The upper level was much more interesting. After going through the gate it was obvious that this level was much newer. The tunnels were much larger and there was evidence of blasting which the lower level does not have.
There is some lovely stacks of deads lining the tunnel walls further in which reminds me of the brick work around some of the Nenthead mines. The sough has some very nice brickwork as well which makes me wonder if they join up further along but I did not go far enough down to have a look. The sough also has a vertical shaft made of loosely stacked rock which is impressive, I'm unsure if this goes far enough to be under the pump house as it is capped.

History:
First reported work at Mandale was as far back as 1284 but documentation is scarce until the 18th/19th century. In 1798 the sough was dug to try and help with drainage of the workings but work ceased around 1836. The aqueduct entrance is only a couple hundred feet above river level so the river was canalised in the 1830s buy putting walls along the bank. In 1839 a new company was formed, the Mandale mining company. This company decided to build a waterwheel to power the pumps for the levels below the sough, they built an aqueduct over the river and a wooden trough to the wheel.
As the workings developed the waterwheel became inadequate for the job and a cornish beam engine was purchased in 1847. This did not last however and the company closed down in 1851 with the equipment being offered for sale in 1852. Small scale mining continued by private individuals until 1867.

Now for the photos. Apologies but I have scratched my lens so there is marks on the photos.

Starting in the Aqueduct level.

Remains of the Aqueduct
43299067764_0c58e4ffac_k.jpg

Mine entrance
42208815030_3d101e35b3_k.jpg

Gate
43969335182_acb23f8693_k.jpg

29080579987_d6b91dc422_k.jpg

42208842160_128e68432a_k.jpg

Now onto the higher level, 1000x easier to take photos up here.

43299082934_9272ac713f_k.jpg

30149526478_111b893991_k.jpg

29080471397_8e73fe948b_k.jpg

A grill over the watery pit of death.

29080480047_48fc7a2fb1_k.jpg

43969301292_63b8659e7e_k.jpg

43111725925_3ed1b930a7_k.jpg

Now for my favourite part.
42208799320_a6034d6a66_k.jpg

30149534758_2fecc3f5b8_k.jpg

30149543448_6178df2db9_k.jpg

30149553518_2b74ef59ba_k.jpg

Remains of the engine house.
44017874731_9b7d2adb13_k.jpg

And a couple from the sough.

43969253212_9146258049_k.jpg

43111692695_31d4d6931b_k.jpg

Maybe next time I will venture a bit further in.

Last edited:

RachelLi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great pictures - It looks awesome in there :thumb I went a year or so ago but couldn't get in so it's nice to see some pics of the inside.

Did you also go up to the two big iron gates blocking the two large adits at the top of a steep hill? It's around the aqueduct area from what I remember... I tried to squeeze through the bars but no such luck :')

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
never seen that sough that dry before! I bet the mozzies and spiders were out in full force! If you're ever in the peaks doing mines, I've been in a hell of a lot of them including those in the area of mandale :) always happy to go underground with like minded explorers :) Matlock has a lot to offer if you haven't been in any of those!

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Great pictures - It looks awesome in there :thumb I went a year or so ago but couldn't get in so it's nice to see some pics of the inside.

Did you also go up to the two big iron gates blocking the two large adits at the top of a steep hill? It's around the aqueduct area from what I remember... I tried to squeeze through the bars but no such luck :')

I didn't realise there were adits further up the hill, I walked up a bit behind the aqueduct and saw a random barrel on the hill but there was too many plants about.

never seen that sough that dry before! I bet the mozzies and spiders were out in full force! If you're ever in the peaks doing mines, I've been in a hell of a lot of them including those in the area of mandale :) always happy to go underground with like minded explorers :) Matlock has a lot to offer if you haven't been in any of those!

The sough was bone dry. I had read previous reports of it being a horrible place to be but I had no problems with it, some lovely brickwork in there with the shaft. There was loads of mosquitoes in the aqueduct level but none in the sough or the incline level.

I have been to some of the bigger mines around Matlock but I am always up for a revisit.

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
masson, balleye, devonshire, wapping/cumberland, silvereye are all decent and fairly dry, long rake out at youlgreave pretty intense but its seriously bad for your health with live tailings being poured into the old workings during the week (silica dust).

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
masson, balleye, devonshire, wapping/cumberland, silvereye are all decent and fairly dry, long rake out at youlgreave pretty intense but its seriously bad for your health with live tailings being poured into the old workings during the week (silica dust).

I have been into Masson, Devonshire, Wapping/Cumberland. I went into Silver eye but was alone where it went down and I wasn't sure if I could get back up! Been into the top bit of Jug holes. my cousin didn't want to crawl through the pipe into the lower level. I only live 45 mins away so I make regular trips up there.

Taken quite a few trips to North Wales, the slate mines over there are on another level.

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have been into Masson, Devonshire, Wapping/Cumberland. I went into Silver eye but was alone where it went down and I wasn't sure if I could get back up! Been into the top bit of Jug holes. my cousin didn't want to crawl through the pipe into the lower level. I only live 45 mins away so I make regular trips up there.

Taken quite a few trips to North Wales, the slate mines over there are on another level.

Yeah man done a lot of wales too, cwmorthin is epic, moel fferna, maenofferen etc theyre all epic lol, silvereye needs a handline but only when its a bit wet and slippy, theres a vid on youtube of a really slowly progressing team of cavers but they do the whole route if you can persevere with the shit conversation and waiting around whilst they rig ropes for the noobs

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Yeah man done a lot of wales too, cwmorthin is epic, moel fferna, maenofferen etc theyre all epic lol, silvereye needs a handline but only when its a bit wet and slippy, theres a vid on youtube of a really slowly progressing team of cavers but they do the whole route if you can persevere with the shit conversation and waiting around whilst they rig ropes for the noobs

I'm useless with any rope work, I have a bit to clip on safety lines but that is it. Not been into Cwmorthin or Maenofferen but I have been up to Moel Fferna, Penarth, Rhosydd, Rhiwbach, Wrysgan and Conglog. I would rather be better safe than sorry, a bit embarrasing if I got stuck down the slight drop in silver eye.

I was up in Gells Adit near silver eye trying to use a ladder to cross the shafts in the floor and it rolled over. :banghead

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Maen is well worth the hike up hill to the quarry, we stayed overnight in the long outbuildings then travelled underground the day after, after a breakfast cooked on slate plates... waking up in the clouds is epic! Pretty sure maenofferen goes about 1km below the surface, there are 2 huge inclines that we visited and gave up halfway down the second one because couldn't be arsed with the return back up haha!

Hmp-Caver

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Maen is well worth the hike up hill to the quarry, we stayed overnight in the long outbuildings then travelled underground the day after, after a breakfast cooked on slate plates... waking up in the clouds is epic! Pretty sure maenofferen goes about 1km below the surface, there are 2 huge inclines that we visited and gave up halfway down the second one because couldn't be arsed with the return back up haha!

I Have been down Maenofferen it really is huge I spent a good 6 hours exploring the ground level, 1st level, 2nd level and bottom of first incline, and got to the bottom of the 2nd incline where it starts to flood a little, and still haven't seen it all, a revisit is definitely needed again soon just to see the rest of the place. Oh, yer' not wrong about that climb either! tiring stuff, especially on a baking hot summer day haha!

danny2007

Lord Of Dead Side
28DL Full Member
Hi, is the mine safe enough to venture in? I've not done a under ground explore before. Thinking of going

Who has read this thread (Total: 178) View details