real time web analytics
Report - - Manicomio Di R, Italy - April 2015 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Manicomio Di R, Italy - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Manicomio di R is an abandoned asylum in Italy. Built in 1871 the hospital was a transformation of other buildings that were originally a hospital of charitable institutions, and later a military college. The hospital was used to treat the mentally ill, and electroshock therapy was used extensively here, along with experimental operations on the nervous system. Facilities included a laboratory of clinical research, one of pathology, one radiology, one of electrotherapy and an operating room for intervention to the nervous system.

The asylum closed down in the early 1980s and has been abandoned ever since. Very little damage has been caused, so natural decay has been allowed to work its magic on the old corridors and rooms resulting in a pleasant glimpse of the Italian past.

Our Visit

This place went straight to the top of my list of favourite asylums in the world! Unassuming from the outside, the building has so much to offer inside. The huge corridors with tall windows are so bright and airy, and the building has a lovely feel to it. Add the old fashioned operating theatre and x-ray machines, chapel and left over items into the mix to achieve urbex heaven! We arrived here quite late in the day and didn’t have long before the light faded, I could have happily spent all day here.

manicomio-di-r-44.jpg

manicomio-di-r-27.jpg

manicomio-di-r-41.jpg

manicomio-di-r-17.jpg

manicomio-di-r-13.jpg

manicomio-di-r-15.jpg

manicomio-di-r-11.jpg

manicomio-di-r-18.jpg

manicomio-di-r-51.jpg

manicomio-di-r-50.jpg

manicomio-di-r-4.jpg

manicomio-di-r-5.jpg