real time web analytics
Report - - Mark Lane Abandoned Tube Station, London April 09 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mark Lane Abandoned Tube Station, London April 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Visited with Siologen and Alias.

Way way back last year, Alias and I zoomed up to London to meet the Underground King who was pretty much single-handedly destroying the Tube's reputation of being impossible. Seeing as it was over a year ago, I actually can't remember much of what happened that night but it was most enjoyable and a nice injection of adrenaline. Props to Siologen as always :thumb

Mark Lane tube station is a disused station on the Circle and District Lines of the London Underground, west of the modern Tower Hill station.

It was originally opened in October 1884 to replace the short lived Tower of London station, which was closed when the Metropolitan Railway and Metropolitan District Railway were connected to form the Circle Line and a new larger station had to be built.

In 1946 the station was renamed from Mark Lane to Tower Hill.

The station became disused due to overwhelming passenger numbers and there was little space available for expansion. It was closed on 4 February 1967, and the present Tower Hill station was opened as its replacement.

The sub-surface section of the station can still be seen between Monument and Tower Hill, though only one platform on the eastbound track now remains due to redevelopment of the track. The surface station, sited in Seething Lane, can be seen in the form of a subway under the road, where large grilles now cover the original stairways down to the platforms.

The offices above the station were called 'Mark Lane Station Buildings', and this can still be read above an entrance.

_DSC0419R.jpg

_DSC0420R.jpg

_DSC0422R.jpg

_DSC0425R-1.jpg

_DSC0426R.jpg

_DSC0429R-1.jpg

_DSC0431R.jpg

_DSC0433R-1.jpg

_DSC0434R.jpg

_DSC0436R-1.jpg

_DSC0437R.jpg