real time web analytics
Report - - May 2011 - Fair Mile redevelopment update | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - May 2011 - Fair Mile redevelopment update

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mongrel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all,

Took a trip to Fair Mile asylum last weekend to see what I could find. There are some cracking reports elsewhere on here so I’m not going to go into pages about the history of the place.

What I am going to do is give anyone thinking of going an update on the redevelopment of the site…

This extract is taken from the local community website:

“Fair Mile – development has started!
You may have noticed the 4 miles of fencing & hoardings, & that the demolition works are well underway! The former George Schuster site will be the first to be developed & will host 26 new homes – many by June 2011.
The Fair Mile Community Facilities Working Group, initiated by Cholsey 1000 Plus, Cholsey’s Community Association, has been meeting with the developers, Linden Homes & Thomas Homes, for the last 3 years, to start firming up on plans for how the community facilities at Fair Mile will be developed. The community facilities will be for the benefit of all Cholsey Parish residents & will comprise:
• The Great Hall
• The Chapel
• The Cricket Pavilion & Cricket Pitch
• The Allotments & Orchardâ€

I’ve got to say, this explore was probably some of the fun I’ve had exploring… probably due in part to the 3 layers of security fencing, CCTV, signs warning of 24 hour security with dogs and the fact that the site is very much live with numerous contractors present beavering away!! The actual building itself didn’t have much in the way of architectural beauty but as I said, I really enjoyed having a look around. I’m guessing that with the amount of work going on there though, what is left is going to disappear pretty quickly. Worst thing about the day was forgetting the tripod…doh… Anyway, thanks for looking!!

FairMile_957.jpg

FairMile_968.jpg

FairMile_977.jpg

FairMile_981.jpg

FairMile_987.jpg

FairMile_989.jpg

FairMile_990.jpg

The message on the board the left of the stage is warning of asbestos removal…

FairMile_993.jpg

FairMile_995.jpg

FairMile_998.jpg

FairMile_1004.jpg

FairMile_1005.jpg

very droll!!

FairMile_1007.jpg

FairMile_1008.jpg

FairMile_1012.jpg

FairMile_1013.jpg

FairMile_1014.jpg

FairMile_1016.jpg