real time web analytics
Report - - Medlock Culvert & Big Humpty - Manchester [Jun 2017] | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Medlock Culvert & Big Humpty - Manchester [Jun 2017]

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
Medlock Culvert & Big Humpty
Explored with @tallginge

So this was a bit of a impromptu trip out, @tallginge dropped me a message and later that evening we were meeting up just down the road from the River Medlock. After gearing up in view of a couple of rather bemused lorry drivers, we headed for the Medlock Culvert. Once we were done with that, we walked back up the river to Big Humpty, had a wander through there and returned to the cars... before realising tallginge had left his shoes near the outfall of Big Humpty, so back we went...

Medlock Culvert
(history borrowed from paulpowers)

The Medlock Culvert was built to re-direct the Medlock River in Manchester, after a series of floods, the worst being in 1872 where the flooding was so bad it literally tore bodies out of graves in the nearby cemetery, sending around 76 corpses floating away.

The culvert is constructed of various stone and brickwork, and incorporates street drainage and a water drain off for the nearby Ashton Canal. The culvert starts in Phillips Park.

Fqb2q0V.jpg

Hiduswb.jpg

NtEcN0S.jpg

xvfAg5e.jpg

baspxM5.jpg

dDZzX04.jpg

jGZLb85.jpg

Big Humpty
Big Humpty is another culverted section of the River Medlock, but shorter than the above section. It's an odd-shaped brick culvert, hence the name, and was built around the 1900s.

1gBEdW1.jpg

CeQ8IgB.jpg

Nx3ewkw.jpg

6u7cuFd.jpg

MzObp6b.jpg

dPpoi4r.jpg

KNAl9LP.jpg

Last edited:

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
I must get back down there one day, I've only seen half of the Medlock culvert :D

Sub vestris pedibus ;)