real time web analytics
Report - - [Melbourne - Australia] SBA Foods Abattoir. | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - [Melbourne - Australia] SBA Foods Abattoir.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Matt.

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The History.

The abattoir was first established as Gilbertsons Meat Processing plant in 1951, it was Victoria’s largest plant for the processing of meat. Originally the site consisted of a largely spread out factory complex including skinning sheds, stockyards, a railway siding and a quarry.

The large cream brick warehouse style building was constructed as offices around 1970, the site also included a Don Smallgoods shop frontage for the use of selling wholesale meats to the public.

Gilbertsons later became SBA Foods (A Japanese company). Due to a shortage of cattle, SBA Foods closed its doors at the Altona North site in 1999 and moved business to plants at both Longford in Tasmania and King Island.

The remaining buildings have been heritage listed by Victorian Heritage.

The Explore.

This was a group meet-up, organised by myself and a fellow explorer in order to meet more people in the Melbourne area with the same interest. The location itself was quite trashed hence my lack of interior photographs, but it was interesting nonetheless.

After meeting up we all jumped in our cars and headed to the location, walking through the gate we headed to the large imposing cream brick office block. The curtains (or lack thereof) flapped around in and out of the broken windows, stepping through the door and into the pitch black hallway it was near impossible to see your hand in front of your face, eyes adjusted and up to the upper levels.

The destruction and decay that had fallen over this place in the last 13 years had really taken its toll but the view from the rooftop was second to none.

The Photographs.

1-2.jpg

Home... Apparently.

2-2.jpg

Trading Places.

3-2.jpg

The View.

5-2.jpg

Seep.

6-2.jpg

Impromptu Skatepark.

7-2.jpg