real time web analytics
Report - - Melin Gwna / Bodorgan Watermill, Anglesey : May 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Melin Gwna / Bodorgan Watermill, Anglesey : May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Melin Gwna, Bodorgan

Another small mill found while browsing the various mill archive forums online. Apparently in a 2002 survey, Melin Gwna was too overgrown to examine, but did mention there were still buildings present, albeit in a ruinous condition. Based off this, it sounded like it was worth a look, so I stuck it on the map ready for me and @dansgas1000 to have a look at on our Wales road trip.
Melin Gwna has been recorded since the twelfth century, and thus dating from the period of Prince Llewellyn’s administration prior to the Edwardian conquest. Obviously, it would have been a far more rudimentary mill than the one that currently stands. I managed to find a source which lists where mention of the mill is found.

millmill.jpg

Upon arrival, we followed a public footpath leading next to the river, walking upstream of it until we found the first building. A very small, very ruined house. Completely empty, lacking in features and generally not overly interesting. Carrying on the footpath, we got to a tiny room which contained one undershot wheel mounted directly into the floor, no other machinery remained in the room. There was a small external well just behind this tiny building also.

Moving on further upstream to where the main mill ruins are. Just off the public footpath and navigating down a rocky escarpment is Melin Gwna. It is a 2-storey building, set into a slope on the hillside to allow access to the stone floor through a door on the north-east side. Inside the building is a composite overshot wheel which was constructed by J Jones of Bridge Foundry in Holyhead. It was 4.25m in diameter and 1.3m wide, with a cast iron axle 0.275m in diameter whose outer gudgeon was supported in a stone bearing. An overhead wooden launder was arranged with its last section pivoted, the part above the wheel being tilted by levers from inside the mill to divert water on to the wheel. Inside, two pairs of stones on a wooden hurst frame were underdriven by a typical layout of cast pit wheel (2.28m diameter), wallower (1.2m), great spur gear (2.3m) and wooden-toothed stone nuts. From the crown of the great spur gear an ancillary shaft with wooden pulley wheels drove the sack-hoist and three dressing machines.
A further survey of the mill in 2006 found the roof slates had been removed, and the remaining wooden roof structure and internal floors had collapsed.
Overall, I was pleased with what was found. Not once I've seen mentioned on here before so glad I was able to manage to find so much info on it. I tried my best with the photographs. The internal shots are fine, but the externals are a bit crap as it was so bright on the day we visited.

IMG_8989.jpg

Overgrown millstone out the front of the building

IMG_8992.jpg

IMG_8995.jpg

IMG_8998.jpg

IMG_9001.jpg

IMG_9007.jpg

IMG_9022.jpg

IMG_9054.jpg

IMG_9061.jpg

Onto some of the poor externals of the wheel

IMG_9068.jpg

IMG_9071.jpg

IMG_9098.jpg

IMG_9104.jpg

Down into the smaller 1st room I came across

IMG_9127.jpg

IMG_9139.jpg

Internal shot of the small house at the beginning of the site

IMG_9142.jpg

Some of the information found

millmill.jpg

millmore.PNG

A very old photograph of the site, just after it was abandoned - no date sadly

Bodorgan-Felin-Gwna-Water-Mill-as-she-looked-as-a-working-mill-1024x717.jpg

Melin.PNG

Canon 80d
24mm f2.8
10-18mm f4.5-5.6

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
As completely wrecked mills go that's quite interesting, and not one I've seen before.

These things are always worth looking at - I have a folder full of them! Very occasionally they even have unique stuff, e.g. the fulling equipment in Glan Bargod.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
As completely wrecked mills go that's quite interesting, and not one I've seen before.

These things are always worth looking at - I have a folder full of them! Very occasionally they even have unique stuff, e.g. the fulling equipment in Glan Bargod.
It had a nice feel with all the wheels laying in a pile in the middle of the building. I can imagine you've got loads!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
They came out well in the end, despite the harsh sunlight on the external wheel! I liked this place, nice job on finding that old pic, really interesting to see.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
They came out well in the end, despite the harsh sunlight on the external wheel! I liked this place, nice job on finding that old pic, really interesting to see.
It was a surprise wasn't it! Honestly just thought it was gonna be some foundations

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Another good report. Great images. The wheels are always good to see. Loving the added old photo :thumb

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is one of my favourite walks. One thing has always puzzled me - the fact that the stream is much lower than any of the mills. I can only assume that it's path has been changed.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Look at the map - the leat for mills often branches off the main river some distance upstream leading to a pool with a sluice behind the mill. This is to give sufficient head and avoid flooding problems.