real time web analytics
Report - - Merefeld Culvert, Leicestershire-July '13 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Merefeld Culvert, Leicestershire-July '13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
I did this last year with The Wombat, when I was between cameras, and I borrowed a shitty camera and didn't have any decent pics. Afterwards, we agreed to return but other places got priority. I got my mrs to drop me off on her way to work at 6:45 am, which she thought I was mad for doing. I was a little concerned about exploring this one after the amount of rain we've had over the last 36 hours but the west portal only had a couple of inches of water so I entered. The eastern portal, however, was over a foot deep. Walking the 3-4 mile walk home was a little uncomfortable.
Merefield Culvert goes under an embankment on the Great Northern Railway south of John O'Gaunt Station and Viaduct and a quarter of a mile from Merefield. The brook flows in at the Eastern Portal, which is one portal then flows out the two western portals with a junction close to the eastern portal. It was built when at Railway was under construction in 1877/78. It has interesting masonry as the sides and floor are brick, but the ceiling is a sandstone like rock.
I enjoyed this explore, a nice quick one, on my own

(1)
DSC_0326.jpg

(2)
DSC_0327.jpg

(3)
DSC_0329.jpg

(4)
DSC_0330.jpg

(5)
DSC_0332.jpg

(6)