real time web analytics
Report - - Miley Tunnel, Preston | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Miley Tunnel, Preston

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lopata

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Word of warning before I start, it looks like someones dumped something noxious, possibly asbestos, in the tunnel at the uni end. Im going to have to report it to environmental health when they are open.
The Miley Tunnel was built in 1840 as part of a project to connect Preston to Longridge via rail, and the line would remain in use in this capacity until 1930 when the growing popularity of the bus spelled the end to the use of the line as public transport. However this was not to be the end of the line itself and it would continue in use through to 1980, transporting goods and even the odd crowd of football fans until it was eventually deemed obsolete and closed down. The line itself remains, stretching from the main train trunk by Leighton carpark through to Grimscargh, although the original track does not seem to extend past Preston as far as google maps shows, and the original route can clearly be traced on google maps right through to Longridge. There was talk of reopening part of the line, and the tunnel, as part of a scheme to reintroduce inter-city trams, but this seems to have been dropped. Despite the name, the tunnel runs for about half a mile under Preston.
Occasionally there are official trips down the tunnel, the most recent being in 2021, but for the most part it is abandoned and closed off. Access is pretty easy once you know, and it is rather sadly frequented by youths and the occasional flytipper. The line itself, especially at the deepdale end, is used as a rubbish dump by some of the less savoury residents.
Now, there are a couple of ghost stories surrounding the tunnel. In 1866 a 15 year old girl, apparently named Margaret, was pushed or fell from a coach and went under the wheels, dying a brutal and tragic death. Orbs of light have been reported, and some say you can hear the whispering of the dead girl down there. There are also reports of a Grey Lady who walks the tunnel and welcomes explorers in, although I cannot say I saw her. Finally, there have been reports of phantom trains down there, never seen but heard and sometimes felt. I can say that on my trip I did hear the distinctive sound of a steamwhistle behind me as though a train was approaching the tunnel, though when I looked back there was nothing.

Approach
I began my approach from the Deepdale end, about half a mile out, jumping the wall by the base of an old victorian bridge

20230523_150640.jpg

As can be seen, it still stands.

20230523_150859.jpg

On my way down I passed what looked to be an old station platform, possibly used to drop footy fans off by the stadium. The line is still present, although terribly overgrown and buried in garbage.

20230523_151020.jpg

Another tunnel, this one sporting a mattress and some unusual brickwork in the arch. This one passes under Deepdale road.

20230523_151155.jpg

Stone siding wall

20230523_151526.jpg

Inspite of the junk and waste, nature blooms in the old line. The bees were very militant in defending this rose.

20230523_151605.jpg

St Pauls Road bridge features this pipe that breaks through the arch on its route.

20230523_151704.jpg

And a first look at the dread tunnel. As per expectations the gate is open, usually its either this or a post or two is removed. Sadly the locals see it as a dumping ground, although its not as bad as further back.

20230523_151815.jpg

Immediately inside there is evidence of human presence including the remains of a fire, and numerous wrappers and bits of junk. The tunnel has a semi-cylindrical construction with the walls notably wider a few feet off the ground before they pull close again for the arch.

20230523_151907.jpg

An inset in the wall. There are many at regular intervals, they were to provide refuge for rail workers if a train should come by. Interestingly there seems to be no need for them as the tunnel is wide and as can bee seen in the previous photo, the track only runs down one side. I imagine the tunnel was intended to service two tracks, and one has either been removed or was never installed for some reason. The other bridges and the entire cut is the same width though.

20230523_152010.jpg

Looking back. It was around here that I heard the whistle and turned back to see what could possibly be making it, but there was nothing there.

20230523_152222.jpg

The further in I went the less junk there was. This ancient and twisted bike frame did catch my eye though.... an artefact of the Zone maybe?

20230523_152243.jpg

Damage to one of the sleepers. This appears to be natural, or from a very old fire as I could not see any scorching at the edges.

20230523_152308.jpg

Around 1/3 of the way in I noticed brick dust around the track side of the tunnel, and some fragments.

20230523_152318.jpg

An examination of the ceiling above it revealed nothing though. How bizarre.

20230523_152411.jpg

With my torch off I turned to see the last of the light fade, and then the darkness took me. The tunnel has a distinctly creepy feel to it, and I can see why the tunnel is said to be haunted. It sure feels it.

20230523_152517.jpg

It was around here that I began to notice small collapses in the floor of the tunnel, little holes where the floor has fallen in. Why? Who knows.

20230523_152546.jpg

Just some lime streaking

20230523_152602.jpg

Some evidence of other humans. By this point bar some old electrical cables from when they rigged up lights for journalists back in 2019, there had been no evidence of others.

20230523_152643.jpg

Fire damage to some of the sleepers.

20230523_152657.jpg

Here (where?) there was once a break in the tunnel. It has since been covered over in more modern times, leaving a miniature chamber in the tunnel about 1/3 in from the Uni end. Also, daylight!

20230523_152726.jpg

A better look at the modern roof

20230523_152738.jpg

The tunnel back

20230523_152745.jpg

And onwards. You can see the distinctive horseshoe shape of the tunnels structure.

20230523_152950.jpg

"Rizzo the Dizzo" was apparently here in this railside refuge at some point, many years back.

20230523_153047.jpg

There are several cracks in the wall, most of the marked with white spray. I assume this was done during the survey looking into reopening the tunnel.

20230523_153136.jpg

This wooden box, running along the rail side, seems, from further research, to have been the cable box from back when the tunnel was rigged with lights for journos.

20230523_153157.jpg

Apparently it went down and round the refuges. Its only present at the uni end.

20230523_153208.jpg

Blessed light! (or so I thought, more on that later)

20230523_153250.jpg

Heh, found the rest of that bike from earlier.

More to come, this 30 file limit is annoying.

Lopata

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
20230523_153418.jpg

At the uni end I came out to the distinctive wooden brace segment of the tunnel. To anyone who knows the tunnel, this area is iconic, with its distinctive timber braces forming a skeletal roof over the line. The unused stone braces suggest that there may once have been more to this.

20230523_153457.jpg

I headed on along, seeking an escape at the far end.

20230523_153949.jpg

Sadly this was not to be as the far end tunnel is flooded, and the water seemed to get deep fast. Combined with the increased number and size of those collapses, I decided not to risk it and was forced to turn back. Now your probably wondering why this was a bad thing. Well, the uni end of the tunnel was upwind today, with a steady breeze blowing down to the Deepdale side. It wasnt until I got to this end that I realised why my gut had been telling me not to come.

20230523_153332.jpg

Apologies for the bad pick. You see the matting over the far end of the partial childs toy in the foreground? I noticed it at about 7 feet out, being rather stupidly complacent of such threats being present.

20230523_153402.jpg

A better look, at some of the fibre clumps on the track and ground, although still bad. It looked like a textbook picture of white asbestos fibres and needless to say ruined my trip, given I had been walking into the wind the whole time. When I returned to the Deepdale end I noticed some smaller clumps on the ground that may have been blown down. They were also present in the remains of the fire. I abandoned my other plans, walked home, and spent a long time decontaminating myself and stuff, as well as disposing of a lot of things I couldnt be sure would ever be clean, including my faithful torch. Not happy.

But, other than that, the trip was good, and I hope to go again, once the contamination has been sufficiently cleared up. Its weird, I live near Preston and have done so all my life, and the Miley has been on my radar since I was a college student, over 10 years ago now, but I have just never got around to doing it till now. Its certainly an experience, and one I would recommend to anyone in the area, once its been cleaned of course.

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
good report liked them, timbers in the roof never seen that before on a rail track

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great comprehensive report, I like each bit of detail between the photos. Shame it's used as a bit of a local dumping ground.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Fair play mate, nice report and don't be too hard on yourself with the asbestos at least you're savvy. Yeah I steer clear of anything resembling loose fibres but it's easier said than done, I see people do a lot worse unwittingly.

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thats a great report and you’ve covered the tunnels well. Regarding the asbestos, it’s hard to tell as the photos aren’t too clear but to me, I don’t think that’s asbestos. I’ve never seen it in a lose form like that before and that size.
Worst case it was asbestos, unless you disturbed it and released its fibres, the risk is absolutely minimal so don’t be too hard on yourself.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
The "roof", is that bracing to retain a wall?
Collapsed holes on floor, could that be collapsed drainage?

Nice pics, a good trip!

Lopata

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry for being away for a while, lifes been hell. Ive still not had time to mention the stuff to Environmental Health. As an update, the modern concrete roof section is actually a concrete raft that supports Preston Police HQ.

how long is it?
As I mentioned in the OP, despite being called the Miley Tunnel it is only just over half a mile in length.

The "roof", is that bracing to retain a wall?
Collapsed holes on floor, could that be collapsed drainage?

Nice pics, a good trip!
It could be, though I dont know. Its been there as long as I can remember, and I have yet to see a photo from that section without it. It would make some sense though.

Thats a great report and you’ve covered the tunnels well. Regarding the asbestos, it’s hard to tell as the photos aren’t too clear but to me, I don’t think that’s asbestos. I’ve never seen it in a lose form like that before and that size.
Worst case it was asbestos, unless you disturbed it and released its fibres, the risk is absolutely minimal so don’t be too hard on yourself.
Thanks man, as I mentioned though it seems to either be blowing down the tunnel or someone has transported a portion of the material to the other end to act as fire fuel. Whatever it is its best to get it checked out to be sure.