real time web analytics
Report - - Millenium Mills, East London - Febuary 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Millenium Mills, East London - Febuary 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Eroze

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Millennium mills

The Millennium Mills were one of the largest flour mills in London during the early half of the 20th century. The building was largely destroyed by bombing during the second world war but was then rebuilt in 1945-1950 before eventually closing with the decline of the royal docks in 1981.

We started planning the trip in late November/early December. There's not to many easy sites around London nearby to us so this seemed like the best bet and so after weeks of saying we'd start planning we finally did a scout in January, spurred by reports of development starting on the site. We had a list of possible entrances to check based on google earth and previous reports but didn't hang around too long due to what seemed like a guard in his range rover roaming the south of the site.

When it came to the nigh of the trip we were well prepared enough to feel confident, despite knowing that it was a very dangerous building inside and heavily protected. We took the night tube across London at 2am, had a beer, faces covered, then headed to the site. As a group of three we knew we needed to get in as soon as possible and so had a well rehearsed plan for routes to try. The first one failed, most likely down to skipping gym too often and too many maccies but having prepared for this we went to plan b and took a "spikier" route.

A few cuts later we were in the compound and after emerging from some bushes we were greeted by this majestic view of the mills:

We then proceeded to circle the site to find a way in but with each corner we were greeted by yet more padlocks, concreted windows and smooth surfaces. Eventually we resorted one again to another spiky route to access the east section of the building which was considerably older than the larger concrete section. From looking at some photos that larger section seemed mostly empty anyways so we weren't to bothered save for the view from the roof. Much of the base of the building was littered with machinery taken from the mill, most likely to protect it:

Upon entering this section we quickly realized how dangerous it was. The crooked skeleton of the structure poked its way through creaking, rotted planks. The floors were peppered with gaping holes that seemed to stretch down through as any as five or six stories in some areas. Each step we took was a gamble, half expecting to plummet into the abyss below. In hindsight it must've been quite comical to see us inching our way along the floors, trying out best to keep close to the beams.

Here's some views from the interior:

By far one of the funniest moments of the trip was when my friends dropped to the floor in panic and the disturbance of a flock of pigeons (which I was expecting after reading other reports).

The view out the doorway facing the London city airport on the top floor was also an astonishing sight and made sure to take many photos:

Unfortunately the roof was partly burnt down and so we deemed it safer to head back down. After chilling by the dockside for a bit with our last beer we started making our way out snapping these in the process:

View over the docks (north)

Supporting structure (with anti climb paint fyi)

facing west

As we were walking a figure caught my eye and quickly signaled to my friends to hide. Two of our other friends were meant to meet us on the sight if they felt sober enough so we simply assumed that this was them. This was probably poor judgement as we were all quite tired, injured and cold and thus ended up turning the corner to meet a security guard who gave us a good shouting and eventually made us leave the site.

This of course did sour the mood of the trip and left us quite shook up but in hindsight it was rewarding knowing we saw the building before it is set to be redeveloped into a £3.5 billion project.

Attachments

• DSC_1744.jpg
    DSC_1744.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 35
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 15.30.39.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 15.30.39.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 30
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 15.30.41.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 15.30.41.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 33
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 15.30.42.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 15.30.42.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 35
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 18.37.19 (1).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 18.37.19 (1).jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 28
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 18.37.19 (2).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 18.37.19 (2).jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 32
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 18.37.19 (3).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 18.37.19 (3).jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 35
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 18.37.21.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-22 at 18.37.21.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_2039.jpg
    DSC_2039.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 39

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nicely planned, some good shots there. I hope security let you leave via their entrance.

Been looking at this site for a few years, pass it on the DLR , but thought it may be a difficult one to access. Alas my high climbing days are over. Just small climbs for me. Good to finally see inside after years of wondering. :thumb

Eroze

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely planned, some good shots there. I hope security let you leave via their entrance.

Been looking at this site for a few years, pass it on the DLR , but thought it may be a difficult one to access. Alas my high climbing days are over. Just small climbs for me. Good to finally see inside after years of wondering. :thumb

We expected him too. When he asked how we got in we just said over the fence so that he wouldn't patch anywhere up but we let out a sigh when he told us to get back out that way. Was probably the 5th one we'd had to climb that night and didn't want any more cuts.

Also there plenty of other photos of the interior on other reports of this site, deffo check them out!

deBaser

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Me and a friend Got in here just a few weeks ago. It's right across the river from the new 4,000 bed hospital for coronavirus. We were in for about twenty minutes and looking for a way to access the main building when a security guard showed up. I just wonder where their cctv is or how the are monitoring it? Was anyone able to gather any info like that on any explore?

Eroze

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Me and a friend Got in here just a few weeks ago. It's right across the river from the new 4,000 bed hospital for coronavirus. We were in for about twenty minutes and looking for a way to access the main building when a security guard showed up. I just wonder where their cctv is or how the are monitoring it? Was anyone able to gather any info like that on any explore?

We did quite a few scouts and couldn't find any cctv, we only bumped into the security guard by chance as he was checking locks in the early morning. As construction is ramping up to the south I'm guessing the security company to putting more effort into patrols.

deBaser

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We did quite a few scouts and couldn't find any cctv, we only bumped into the security guard by chance as he was checking locks in the early morning. As construction is ramping up to the south I'm guessing the security company to putting more effort into patrols.
Thanks for the reply
I'm thinking the only way to to get in and get daylight shots would be to access at night and stay the night. No way you can get in at daytime without getting spotted the place is so overlooked by the residential area surrounding.

Misfitsexplore2012

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi how easy was it to get in and not spotted :p keep going back to places during lockdown as getting bored sitting in but everywhere I go back to is either demolished or have security on

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I have adhd I can’t stay in once place all the time or I go insane
So
Shut
The fuck up

Just because you might have ADHD doesn't mean you can put yourself and others at risk by going out and exploring when everybody in the country has been told to only go out for essential reasons. If you need to get out the house go for a walk in a local park, like has been advised, if you think everyone else isn't going stir crazy stuck indoors then you're deluded.

Exploring. Is. Not. Essential.

Misfitsexplore2012

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah, I remember Boris talking about that exemption too. Stay inside and no non-essential travel unless you have ADHD in which case just crack on.
Well police stop to ask me what I’m doing out I show them my letter from the doctored and there fine so yeah :) have a good day inside your house mate

Who has read this thread (Total: 409) View details