real time web analytics
Report - - Millennium Mills, London - August 2018 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Millennium Mills, London - August 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

de_kebab

Reading
28DL Full Member
Time for a History Lesson

The Millennium Mills is a derelict turn of 20th century flour mill in West Silvertown on the south side of the Royal Victoria Dock, between the Thames Barrier and the ExCel exhibition centre alongside the newly built Britannia village, in Newham, London, England. Along with Millennium Mills, there remains a small section of the now destroyed Rank Hovis Premier Mill and a restored grade II listed grain silo, labelled the 'D' silo. Described as a "decaying industrial anachronism standing defiant and alone in the surrounding subtopia", the Millennium Mills has become a well-loved icon of post-industrial Britain and has made its way into many aspects of popular culture, being used as a backdrop in films and television shows such as Ashes to Ashes and Derek Jarman's The Last of England. Millennium Mills is also a destination for Urban Explorers despite high security, dangers of structural weakness, ten-storey drops and asbestos, and there are many reports and internal photos of the site. [Thanks wikipedia]

The Explore

I’ll be covering two separate visits made over the course of a week… BUT – use your common sense when visiting any abandoned site, especially in built-up areas such as London. We live in the UK where unused land costs someone, somewhere money. Within a week Millennium Mills was crawling with security on my second visit and we had to be extremely careful but I will talk about this at end of the thread.

After a decent day out visiting the rathole and exploring parts of London, we headed to Millennium Mills. Access was a solid 6 or 7 out of 10 difficulty wise, mainly due to the fact that as access goes – it was pretty obvious but it involves a climb which is not suited to everyone. DO NOT DO THIS ON A WET AND RAINY DAY LIKE WE DID. IT WAS STUPID AND VERY DANGEROUS. The site itself doesn’t really have much to it. All the machinery is stripped out and the building is mostly a shell. This building, however, does give something back to you if you are dedicated enough and that is one hell of a view. Anyway, on with the pics:

Firstly D Silo:

BURST20180809205237225_COVER.jpg

BURST20180809205104505_COVER.jpg

43353544254_0cfd5e247c_o.jpg

And then the building itself:

44071774551_633a97e8d9_o.jpg

43165651115_2a993270bc_o.jpg

43165666375_a8070c1db2_o.jpg

44023798262_6281daa06e_o.jpg

30204248628_a1542c4689_o.jpg

44071907861_e3038dac32_o.jpg

43353686094_31f9883459_o.jpg

43165744955_2cf8dcec09_o.jpg

29135114397_02e1bec093_o.png

44023843302_29d221d89d_o.jpg

29135162927_8a3516463d_o.jpg

43165966075_03d247824a_o.jpg

43165988775_52fae6e464_o.jpg

The views really are spectacular from the roof, a perfect spot for chilling out for a few hours.

Back to my point I made earlier. Sites like these are constantly changing on a weekly, even daily basis. Just because you saw an update for a location posted a week or two ago doesn’t mean it will be in the same condition when you visit. Anyone visiting this site should definitely be careful! You’ve had your warning!

Hope you enjoyed! – feedback always appreciated :)

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Funny I was thinking about this place today as I was working on an update to my web shyte which I haven't touched for two years now. This was one of the first real epic places I explored back in 2009 with a climb back then that I guess would be quite similar to the one you suggest. Certainly got the old balls shrunken back in those days. Everyone I used to know back in those days I have now totally lost contact with.

Well done and thanks for the update.

de_kebab

Reading
28DL Full Member
Funny I was thinking about this place today as I was working on an update to my web shyte which I haven't touched for two years now. This was one of the first real epic places I explored back in 2009 with a climb back then that I guess would be quite similar to the one you suggest. Certainly got the old balls shrunken back in those days. Everyone I used to know back in those days I have now totally lost contact with.

Well done and thanks for the update.

No worries glad you enjoyed! The climb definitely does get your insides turning a little bit, especially when you get the noise from the planes flying overhead taking off from City Airport....

J rago

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Time for a History Lesson

The Millennium Mills is a derelict turn of 20th century flour mill in West Silvertown on the south side of the Royal Victoria Dock, between the Thames Barrier and the ExCel exhibition centre alongside the newly built Britannia village, in Newham, London, England. Along with Millennium Mills, there remains a small section of the now destroyed Rank Hovis Premier Mill and a restored grade II listed grain silo, labelled the 'D' silo. Described as a "decaying industrial anachronism standing defiant and alone in the surrounding subtopia", the Millennium Mills has become a well-loved icon of post-industrial Britain and has made its way into many aspects of popular culture, being used as a backdrop in films and television shows such as Ashes to Ashes and Derek Jarman's The Last of England. Millennium Mills is also a destination for Urban Explorers despite high security, dangers of structural weakness, ten-storey drops and asbestos, and there are many reports and internal photos of the site. [Thanks wikipedia]

The Explore

I’ll be covering two separate visits made over the course of a week… BUT – use your common sense when visiting any abandoned site, especially in built-up areas such as London. We live in the UK where unused land costs someone, somewhere money. Within a week Millennium Mills was crawling with security on my second visit and we had to be extremely careful but I will talk about this at end of the thread.

After a decent day out visiting the rathole and exploring parts of London, we headed to Millennium Mills. Access was a solid 6 or 7 out of 10 difficulty wise, mainly due to the fact that as access goes – it was pretty obvious but it involves a climb which is not suited to everyone. DO NOT DO THIS ON A WET AND RAINY DAY LIKE WE DID. IT WAS STUPID AND VERY DANGEROUS. The site itself doesn’t really have much to it. All the machinery is stripped out and the building is mostly a shell. This building, however, does give something back to you if you are dedicated enough and that is one hell of a view. Anyway, on with the pics:

Firstly D Silo:

BURST20180809205237225_COVER.jpg

BURST20180809205104505_COVER.jpg

43353544254_0cfd5e247c_o.jpg

And then the building itself:

44071774551_633a97e8d9_o.jpg

43165651115_2a993270bc_o.jpg

43165666375_a8070c1db2_o.jpg

44023798262_6281daa06e_o.jpg

30204248628_a1542c4689_o.jpg

44071907861_e3038dac32_o.jpg

43353686094_31f9883459_o.jpg

43165744955_2cf8dcec09_o.jpg

29135114397_02e1bec093_o.png

44023843302_29d221d89d_o.jpg

29135162927_8a3516463d_o.jpg

43165966075_03d247824a_o.jpg

43165988775_52fae6e464_o.jpg

The views really are spectacular from the roof, a perfect spot for chilling out for a few hours.

Back to my point I made earlier. Sites like these are constantly changing on a weekly, even daily basis. Just because you saw an update for a location posted a week or two ago doesn’t mean it will be in the same condition when you visit. Anyone visiting this site should definitely be careful! You’ve had your warning!

Hope you enjoyed! – feedback always appreciated :)
Absolutely brilliant piece here mate. I too did the mills, the silo and the barge... was with my girl, around 4 years ago now. Will upload pics asap of ALL machinery, which was still in situ. Did venture back Easter this year.... but was as you found it. Thanks for the excellent read

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
I’ve a lot of history with this place.

2010- did Rank Hovis, didn’t fancy the leap of faith, sealed in by security and caught.

2013- tried doing MM and busted by film crew security.

2015- did MM in the dark when it was being stripped out didn’t see much.

So I’d like to go and do it properly, despite it being a bit of a hole now.

de_kebab

Reading
28DL Full Member
I’ve a lot of history with this place.

2010- did Rank Hovis, didn’t fancy the leap of faith, sealed in by security and caught.

2013- tried doing MM and busted by film crew security.

2015- did MM in the dark when it was being stripped out didn’t see much.

So I’d like to go and do it properly, despite it being a bit of a hole now.

Interesting, so you would say that not having my collar felt on my two visits is lucky then? Man I didn't realise haha. On my second visit there was a lone security dude but he did absolutely nothing. We weren't even quiet either so as long as you manage to get into the main building you should be fine. As for Rank Hovis - I would give it a miss. Doesn't offer any more than MM so you may as well get into the main site. If it helps, we visited around 7ish / 8ish in the evening and must have spent a good 3 or 4 hours there just chilling on the roof. I definitely recommend giving it a proper go because the views are insane and if you have a couple of mates with you - even better!

5PR1NK5

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Pleased to see this still gets some attention, even though it's now stripped it still looks worth it for the rooftop views alone. You got some great shots, particularly of the LDN skyline by sunset/night. Maybe one day I'll get my report up from 5 odd years ago! ;P

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Interesting, so you would say that not having my collar felt on my two visits is lucky then? Man I didn't realise haha. On my second visit there was a lone security dude but he did absolutely nothing. We weren't even quiet either so as long as you manage to get into the main building you should be fine. As for Rank Hovis - I would give it a miss. Doesn't offer any more than MM so you may as well get into the main site. If it helps, we visited around 7ish / 8ish in the evening and must have spent a good 3 or 4 hours there just chilling on the roof. I definitely recommend giving it a proper go because the views are insane and if you have a couple of mates with you - even better!

Security seems to be completely random. Maybe stepped up during the school holidays. On the whole it seems the development has stalled again and the site sits and rots away.

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
It’s win some, lose some with this site to be honest Mate. I had a proper free for all walk about when it was full of plant gear, but when I went before and it was dead, I was busted. Twice!

de_kebab

Reading
28DL Full Member
Pleased to see this still gets some attention, even though it's now stripped it still looks worth it for the rooftop views alone. You got some great shots, particularly of the LDN skyline by sunset/night. Maybe one day I'll get my report up from 5 odd years ago! ;P

Go for it! It's never too late! I know I must've said it a thousand times but... those views... just saying...

Security seems to be completely random. Maybe stepped up during the school holidays. On the whole it seems the development has stalled again and the site sits and rots away.

I think you are right - Entirely random. It just seems really weird though because they had set up the portable workman's shelter things. You know the offices that look like converted shipping containers. They had put them there within a week so it could be filming or something.

It’s win some, lose some with this site to be honest Mate. I had a proper free for all walk about when it was full of plant gear, but when I went before and it was dead, I was busted. Twice!

Wow, maybe I will wait before I do this again. To be honest I am not too worried about getting caught at a site like this. If it happens it happens really.

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
Never been caught before? Haha. Brace yourself. It’s going to happen a lot over the years.

de_kebab

Reading
28DL Full Member
Never been caught before? Haha. Brace yourself. It’s going to happen a lot over the years.

Yeah not too fussed about it though. Anyway while we are on the topic, how do you go about dealing with it? Do you have a few tricks or are you one of those people that knows a few laws that help get them out of trouble? - I don't mean that last bit in a bad way btw if that's what it takes to sort something out then I might need to get learning!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Go for it! It's never too late! I know I must've said it a thousand times but... those views... just saying...

I think you are right - Entirely random. It just seems really weird though because they had set up the portable workman's shelter things. You know the offices that look like converted shipping containers. They had put them there within a week so it could be filming or something.

Wow, maybe I will wait before I do this again. To be honest I am not too worried about getting caught at a site like this. If it happens it happens really.

Filming is possibly a good shout. Back in June/July they were filming at Whitchurch hospital and loads of shipping type containers appeared + their own security just to watch the set(s).

de_kebab

Reading
28DL Full Member
Filming is possibly a good shout. Back in June/July they were filming at Whitchurch hospital and loads of shipping type containers appeared + their own security just to watch the set(s).

Would definitely make sense and to be honest I kind of understand and respect that

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
Yeah not too fussed about it though. Anyway while we are on the topic, how do you go about dealing with it? Do you have a few tricks or are you one of those people that knows a few laws that help get them out of trouble? - I don't mean that last bit in a bad way btw if that's what it takes to sort something out then I might need to get learning!

Just don’t bullshit mate. Just be sensible. Don’t try and peg it, be polite, tell the truth and be respectful but assertive. Many will disagree, but a little politeness goes a bloody long way. In 9 out of 10 cases...

Who has read this thread (Total: 174) View details