real time web analytics
Report - - Minffordd Vagrancy Cells, Wales - July 18 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Minffordd Vagrancy Cells, Wales - July 18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanDoll

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History

These cells are Victorian style and hidden away in wales on the site of a minor injuries hospital not too sure on the history of the place but what a spectacular little gem

Explore

It was a hot summers day and decided shorts were the right attire, unsuspectingly brambles were the way in and still to this day I have scars on my legs from the whole ordeal.

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4172.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4175-HDR.jpg

IMG_4179-HDR.jpg

IMG_4193-HDR.jpg

IMG_4196-HDR.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice, I'd like to see this, I enjoyed the ones in Melton.

Say what you will about Victorian institutions, but the vagrancy system seemed positive to me. A safe bed for the evening and meals, in exchange for a few hours of labour. Anyone suggesting that now would be strung up on the front page of the Guardian, but surely better than a shop doorway begging for change?

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Nice, I'd like to see this, I enjoyed the ones in Melton.

Say what you will about Victorian institutions, but the vagrancy system seemed positive to me. A safe bed for the evening and meals, in exchange for a few hours of labour. Anyone suggesting that now would be strung up on the front page of the Guardian, but surely better than a shop doorway begging for change?

Not sure about the vagrancy cells! They worked all day carving stones and pushing them through the grids on the wall (still visible!) and slept on a bed with no mattress just a wire mesh.

These were used into the 1930s! That said it should be some sort of museum as it’s complete timewarp

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
From what I read they worked from breakfast until dinner time. You could stay two nights but then were not able to gain entry again for a month, so many would walk from county doing the 'rounds'!

Who has read this thread (Total: 224) View details