real time web analytics
Report - - Minto & Turner Warehouse, Manchester Sept 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Minto & Turner Warehouse, Manchester Sept 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with Host.

There is literally no history on this place. I did find something on the net saying became Minto and Turner in the 1970's, but the wooden letters in the side of the building are clearly older than that.

The outside of the building is incredibly original, plastered with enamel signs and has it's cranes and cast iron fire escapes in situ. Inside has been pretty stripped ready for conversion, but there are a few gems inside, the main event being the hydraulic bailer. There are very few of these left around as it is, but this one in particular is still sporting a huge makers plate which made it a spectacle in itself.

Although there was no epic to be seen in the whole place, I enjoyed wandering around. It has clearly been a very long time since any of it was decorated or modernized, so everything from lampshades to door handles were decades old. The offices had anaglypta wallpaper around the picture rail which looked very old indeed (if only they still sold those patterns!) and behind the paneling on the main staircase there was some early 20th C stenciling peeping through.

I sometimes think you look harder in an empty building for things of interest, I bet I would have walked past all of those little features if the place had been full of looms!

DSC_0480_zpsi4kkuqlr.jpg

DSC_0482_zpsbt1yq5jn.jpg
DSC_0483_zpspxftjvg5.jpg

DSC_0487_zpsdkycdnlp.jpg

DSC_0485_zpsjkonuzu2.jpg

DSC_0488_zpsfc01yvk5.jpg

DSC_0490_zpsaykuwqot.jpg

DSC_0491_zpsaobtmhwm.jpg

DSC_0493_zpsecendfs3.jpg
DSC_0504_zpsppzkui3d.jpg

DSC_0495_zpshoj1p9gs.jpg

DSC_0498_zpsgo5g422p.jpg

DSC_0507_zpsqctp4tiq.jpg

DSC_0512_zpsxnxusjrh.jpg

DSC_0513_zpsdtot31c6.jpg

DSC_0521_zpsevqnmhwt.jpg

DSC_0522_zpsdt7jkgq9.jpg

DSC_0524_zpszqzvamdk.jpg
DSC_0530_zpsdlzbaefy.jpg

DSC_0527_zps9mrhliyy.jpg

DSC_0536_zpsihmrpxzb.jpg

DSC_0531_zpsqle0mtmy.jpg
DSC_0537_zpsfb656tst.jpg

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Still think the roof to this can be done somehow. Nice to see it again. Thx for report

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some really nice features highlighted there. I went back to what i thought was a totally stripped mill in Bradford recently and like you spotted things i missed the first time even things like old coat hangers etc etc. Thanks for sharing this btw.

drewstu

28DL Member
28DL Member
My Dad used to work at Minto & Turner before WW2 and I have a letter from them to him stating (from memory) that his job would still be open to him after the War. He was born in 1909 and worked there all his life (later as a book-keeper, though he may have done something more menial when he started) - so we're talking about 1925 to 1974. I used to pop in there as a teenager to see him if I was in the city centre - that would be mid 1960's. So no way did the firm only start in the 1970's. The building looks older than 20th century and there used to be an arm off the canal behind the building, so whether it was always Minto & Turner or began life as something else I don't know. My Dad's work colleagues were Mr Brooks (Brookie) and Mr Clayton (lived in a prefab on Victoria Ave East) and there was a secretary called Miss Horan who lived in Newton Heath. I have at least one photograph of her and my parents at some social event. Hope all this helps. My Dad's name was Frank Wells.
PS. Have found the building on an 1848 map of Manchester (survey done in 1845), but it doesn't appear on earlier maps.

Last edited: