real time web analytics
Report - - Monckton Coke Works, Royston, Barnsley - Jan 2015. | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Monckton Coke Works, Royston, Barnsley - Jan 2015.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hydro

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate!

will have to take a look at this place in the next few weeks, before the pikeys get in!

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Rah! That's boss, boss.
Would have been a nice one to do when it was still going actually. Didn't even know there were any stand alone plants left.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The waste gasses from the process were used in plant to generate it"s own electricity needs, with any excess generated going into the national grid.

Had a link somewhere?

Combined Heat & Power Plant generating 11 megawatts of power, with enough surplus to power 1,000 homes

Hargreaves seem to be selling it"s assets off to fund the purchase of Ferrybridge power Station (i believe? unless it"s Eggborough :)

Interesting read with the future in mind :)

http://www.hargreavesservices.co.uk/uploads/hargreavesnewsletterissue1.pdf

Last edited:

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Excellent shots there. I was trying to pick out the specific one I like, but they're all good. Thanks for posting.

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
Amazing shots as always! Thanks for sharing, it looks great!

jST

LLS.
Regular User
That's a proper good look at the place actually. Obviously very similar to Cwm.

Reading up on the use of turbines, I found this interesting page about Cwm...

http://www.dmm.org.uk/cokegas/5905-01.htm

Interesting that, here's where one of the pass through turbines would have sat, clearly removed at some point. (picture by my Belgian friend, Paul)

15318312645_397f5a619c_b.jpg

Here's a photo of a part of the CHP at Monckton, I think it was built in around 2002 and clearly will become redundant through the fact that the site is no longer producing the gas to power it.

Monkton-CHP-Plant.jpg

Spark

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just a quick heads up for everyone, a group of us drove here today from norwich and the car park was full, lorries everywhere and workers wandering arround.

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just a quick heads up for everyone, a group of us drove here today from norwich and the car park was full, lorries everywhere and workers wandering arround.

yeah same here we went up about dinner time and the place was packed with workers and lorries coming back and forth!

norfolkexplorer

Quite often seen exploring further than Norfolk
28DL Full Member
Looked like they were working on some scaff and either repairing
or removing some machinery on the road side if the chimney as you drive past. The staff car park was full too

lyndhurst25

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thanks to jST, jimmy9092 and The Amateur Wanderer for posting pictures of this place. I got a few pictures of the ovens working "over the fence" just before it shut. Sad to see the last one go. I'll have to sniff my bottle of coal tar shampoo to bring back the memories...

Hargreaves said that they were keeping on around 20% of the workers for a few months to help decomission the plant so it isn't going to be totally abandoned just yet, even though the ovens are now shut. There is quite a lot of valuabe coke, chemicals and equpiment on site that will be removed and sold before the place is finally demolished.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice work, right on the ball. If i wasn't knee deep in shitty nappies i would give this ago..