real time web analytics
Report - - Moneystone Quarry Pump House, Staffordshire - December 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Moneystone Quarry Pump House, Staffordshire - December 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
After seeing @mingerocket's post on this site a couple of years ago, I decided to take a look myself while in the area. I’ve always liked the look of it with the electric motors and pumps being in great condition, and I like the pipes coming out of it going into the river.

Information & History
The purpose of this pump house was to provide river water to the Moneystone Quarry which has been largely demolished. Sibelco Group ran operations here up until 2011. Planning permission was refused to expand the quarry which resulted in the company selling the site to Laver Leisure. Laver planned to construct a large-scale leisure facility which never materialised. A large portion of the site is now home to a solar farm, with other parts being repurposed as a rail yard.

The pump house itself is equipped with two pumps manufactured by Weir Pumps Limited. Each of these were powered by electric motors manufactured by Liverpool-based Central Electrical. Other notable pieces of equipment within the building include pressure gauges and some electric control panels to the rear including an inverter drive and supply changeover system.

The Explore
A bit of a mixed bag with this one, I started walking towards the site and the end house had a dog just barking at me as I ascended up the hill into the woods, then as I got closer to the site there was a strong smell of gas. It was also a little bit of effort getting in as I had to balance on the slippery pipes that go into the river, and I banged my head in the process. Then once I finished inside it was pissing down with rain outside. Other than that, all good ;)

Photos
Starting with a couple of externals:

IMG_8637.jpg

The metal frame above is what I banged my head on, not pleasant:

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

Heading inside, it was a fair bit darker than expected, good job I had the tripod on me:

IMG_8597.jpg

IMG_8598.jpg

IMG_8605-HDR.jpg

One of the pump and motor setups up close:

IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8615.jpg

Pressure gauge:

IMG_8624.jpg

Electrical bits and pieces, control panels etc:

IMG_8606.jpg

Heading outside again, a small motor & gearbox by the river which operated a small sluice gate to keep debris out (info from Mingerocket's report):

IMG_8635.jpg

IMG_8638.jpg

And a bit of a bonus, further down the pathway there were a few old railway buildings. Nothing too interesting, but I really liked the colours and peeling paint in here so I had to get a couple of shots for good measure!

IMG_8645.jpg

IMG_8649.jpg

IMG_8662.jpg

Overall, nothing groundbreaking but another nicely equipped pump house ticked off the list! Thanks for looking.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very nice variety of shots, rooms and equipment there! A neat find
Cheers mate!

Nice that mate. Like them old railway buildings at the end.
Cheers mate, I knew you would like the railway part, there were a few more bits and pieces there but it started pouring with rain so decided to head back.

Made it look good with them pics!
Cheers, it was hard to photograph with the lighting.

Sometimes small is beautiful. Enjoyed that.
Cheers mate, I agree I enjoy these places regardless of scale.

So small, yet packed with lots to shoot. Very nice find.
Thanks Jane!

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You'd have loved moneystone quarry when it was still there. I used to do some subcontracting up there, the place looked half derelict when open and was a maze of pipework with a big water treatment facility in the middle. Didn't last long before being demolished once it ceased operation.