real time web analytics
Report - - Montgomery Lines, Aldershot. - June 2012 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Montgomery Lines, Aldershot. - June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

OldGoat

28DL Member
28DL Member
Montgomery Lines are a group of four barracks in Aldershot south camp. Known as the Montgomery Lines after Field Marshal the Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, Colonel Commandant of the Parachute Regiment from 1944 to 1956, who officially opened them on 7 April 1965. The Montgomery Lines are comprised of four barracks that were designed to house the 16th Parachute Brigade. Their demise is nearly complete as re-development is due imminently.

rz_01.jpg

rz_02.jpg

rz_03.jpg

rz_05.jpg

Typically 1960's concrete everywhere.

rz_04.jpg

rz_07.jpg

rz_07a.jpg

rz_08.jpg

rz_09.jpg

rz_0910.jpg

rz_0912.jpg

rz_0913.jpg

rz_0914.jpg

rz_DSCN2030-Copy.jpg

The dozers are coming....

Jackdaw47

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You are right about sixtys concrete, this looks to be built very similar to a place I worked at that turned out slabs of stone-faced concrete, for the first flats that I lived in way back when, still standing.

CharlieB

28DL Member
28DL Member
Photos 6 and 7 bring back a lot of memories for me. This particular part of the camp is Arnhem barracks.

The building by the big tree in the background was the Squadron offices for 216 Parachute Signal Squadron. The covered area in the foreground is where people would queue up for the cookhouse, which is just to the left in photo number 6. Bravo Troop of the Signal Squadron (also known as Bongo Battery) would also parade under here first thing in the morning, after lunch and just before daily knock off. I was posted here from Sep 87 to Dec 91. It was a great unit, crammed full of characters.

The accommodation was definitely considered grim by all who lived there. We were in Block E and referred to it as Prisoner Cell Block E.

Great memories, though. I believe it's all gone now. One of its final uses was to replicate a Russian village in the film Quantum of Solace.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
The demolition of this barracks was featured on an episode of Quest's Scrap Kings fairly recently.