real time web analytics
Report - - Mr Smith's, Warrington-March 2015 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mr Smith's, Warrington-March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Canadrummergetsome

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've been in two minds about posting this report, considering smiths came to an unfortunate end.:mad::banghead

I haven't seen many posts on the place before it was burnt down, so I figured I'd show everyone the state the place was in the weeks before it was burnt down.

It was a spur of the moment trip. We were around Warrington town centre anyway, and we decided to head over. Every man and his dog had been in the place by the time I got to visit. We didn't say long and I didn't have time to get into the theatre, so no pictures of the projector room unfortunately.
Also, didn't really manage to take the nicest of pictures, considering it was an in-out job and the flash off my camera could definitely been seen from outside in certain parts of the building.

Absolute shame some lil pricks had to burn the place down. Had a lot of history behind it and was definitely an iconic building. I'll put money on flats being built on there now. :wanker

Bitta history;

In July 2014 plans were submitted to Warrington Borough Council by LPC Living Ltd, Salford Quays-based owners of the venue. The borough council says it cannot oppose demolition because the building is not listed or protected by law. The council now has until 11 August 2014 to approve how work to knock down the building should be carried out.
The venue has been a landmark in the town centre for decades. The building opened in August 1937 as a 1,928 seat cinema and the first film starred Robert Armstrong Without Orders and Chester Morris "I promise to pay."

Before it was renamed Mr Smiths for the second time in its history, it was known as Halo nightclub. This used to be the ABC cinema, or the Ritz. Famous visitors include world-famous comedy duo Laurel and Hardy, who visited in 1952, not to entertain, but to promote performances in Southport and Liverpool. Local entertainer George Formby, who once resided in Stockton Heath, did perform at the venue. The club was previously known as Synergy, and before that Mr Smiths for the first time.

Pete Waterman and Michaela Strachen presented the Granada TV music and dance show, The Hitman and Her, from here in the 1980s. In the time between Mr Smiths and the opening as Synergy in March 2008, it was opened for one night a week, usually for school discos. It became Halo in November 2009, but closed in 2010. It reopened once more as Mr Smiths on 1 October 2011 after it was bought at auction in London earlier in 2011.
(http://www.mywarrington.me.uk/)

And on with the pictures :D

18900032991_9356cfe716_h.jpg

18276589813_f3ecbd24fe_h.jpg

18274722744_b54386d33a_h.jpg

18892071762_dc5c8bba21_h.jpg

18900207151_e238a5bc16_h.jpg

18274859674_1cf9d543de_h.jpg

18899994581_1278a9526c_h.jpg

18709426090_b0d4d1694d_h.jpg

18276440133_2004ed136f_c.jpg

18709346230_2f2f5a3add_h.jpg

18709324228_b2c24b2aab_c.jpg

Last edited:

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report :thumb especially as there was zero light in all the rooms exept the old Ritz cafe, it was in similar condition when we went in or around October last year.

Canadrummergetsome

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report :thumb especially as there was zero light in all the rooms exept the old Ritz cafe, it was in similar condition when we went in or around October last year.
Thanks, mate! Yeah, it was literally walking into pure darkness in that place. Shame about the red seats. They weren't like that when I went in a couple of weeks before this report with no camera. Some lil pricks decided to trash the place further. :wanker:banghead

Jj0

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report. I wish I'd been able to visit before it was demo'd

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely shot considering the zero light inside :thumb I don"t think i"ve even looked at my pics from last year from here yet.

I"d increase the gap between the pics personally, a bit of separation helps the eyes isolate the image better.

Canadrummergetsome

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely shot considering the zero light inside :thumb I don"t think i"ve even looked at my pics from last year from here yet.

I"d increase the gap between the pics personally, a bit of separation helps the eyes isolate the image better.

Thank you very much :D
And all sorted, hope that's better :thumb

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Some really good pictures there mate, impressed by the size of that Disco Ball, just a shame the place came to an unfortunate end.