real time web analytics
Report - - Murton Victoria Social Club, "The Big Club" Murton, May 2014 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Murton Victoria Social Club, "The Big Club" Murton, May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
"... In addition there are club waiters - as many as 20 in the larger clubs - who radiate from the bars into the various rooms of the club . These are the most nimble of fellows with their jackets discarded in favour of white aprons, and wearing plimsolls upon their feet for greater agility and less clatter. They scurry through the club from opening until closing time, dodging through the crowds. This picture of the club is incomplete unless it is released that at all times it is packed with people, talking and laughing. These waiters are as adept at slipping through the crowds as the trickiest of footballers, and they carry the customer's beer with amazing dexterity. Theirs is arduous work, and the remarkable thing is that they seem to maintain the most complected social contacts while performing it. They know everybody, and with each group past which they scurry they exchange snatches of conversation, breaking off in mid sentence, resuming on thge next journey by. It has the fascination and the skill of a chess master playing twenty games simultaneously on different boards. These men are sociable and jovial threads running through the tangled skein of the evening..."

The above was taken from a tatty book I own simply entitled "Your Club". To me it reflects how much these places have changed in a period before my time drinking. My own memory of social clubs is one of peeling wallpaper, blue cigarette smoke, usually from a "superking", crap cabaret, kids running wild and long rows of old looking folk. It would seem there was once a lot more to a social club. One wonders if it was still the case, would they still prosper?

Murton club was built at the century, serving the local community most of whom worked at Murton Colliery. My Grandfather was one such member of that community, so I was keen to see this place with it's link to my own family's history.

The club itself was not interesting as Easington, save for one office which was full of old paperwork and other bits abd bobs which had sat in a cupboard for years. I found the printed signs most interesting... "No Spitting", "Don't mess with the tele", "Don't stand here", Breathing..... Have you cleared that with the committee??!

DSC_0362_zps2a97778c.jpg

DSC_0359_zps5a15ed36.jpg

DSC_0358_zps86c15797.jpg

DSC_0361_zpsa6afcd5b.jpg
DSC_0352_zpsaf1f9af7.jpg

DSC_0349_zpsc31fbe4e.jpg

DSC_0339_zps802ae421.jpg

DSC_0344_zpsac211e15.jpg
DSC_0325_zps2f0bc58d.jpg

This is the BIGGEST wood louse I have ever seen!
DSC_0336_zps8e84f4bf.jpg

DSC_0335_zps44a8c82f.jpg

DSC_0327_zpsabec5569.jpg

DSC_0323_zps896bfd63.jpg
DSC_0320_zpsde38f9a5.jpg

DSC_0317_zps17b8bafc.jpg
DSC_0314_zpsf7682e1f.jpg

DSC_0312_zps196ae805.jpg
DSC_0347_zpsda4151ff.jpg

DSC_0311_zps2cd02112.jpg

DSC_0309_zpsa02ec48e.jpg

DSC_0308_zpse5d91884.jpg

DSC_0302_zpscda4f649.jpg

DSC_0371_zps2ba079b5.jpg
DSC_0370_zpsb8e7e204.jpg

DSC_0368_zpsf198f42c.jpg

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Loving this and those signs. I think at one time there were areas where you could spit at the bar due to miners having coal dust in their mouths/throats etc though not certain about this.

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
Nice that.
Although I would of preferred a landscape shot of the box of photos has a have a crick neck now.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've heard tell of miners hacking up black jelly on a morning so it could be the coal. I think they only chewed baccy while at work where they couldn't smoke?

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Loving this and those signs. I think at one time there were areas where you could spit at the bar due to miners having coal dust in their mouths/throats etc though not certain about this.
I think you are correct Dave, my dad actually worked at Murton pit until it closed

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
very nice Dweeb, Ha I failed miserably here thinking I had done well by getting into the "taxi hut" which lead me to no-where lol, a return visit on the cards soon :)

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
I think at one time there were areas where you could spit at the bar due to miners having coal dust in their mouths/throats etc though not certain about this.

spot on...
that's exactly why.... but not "at the bar" at this venue... as they had spittoons in the doorway and not at the bar area