real time web analytics
Information - - Nantlle trackway (Dorothea tunnel) February 2024. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Nantlle trackway (Dorothea tunnel) February 2024.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Meso

Banned
Banned
I visited the tunnel three times this past week. Long an 'easy' favourite with passers-by, it offers a short venture 'underground' without the need for anything much other than a decent torch. Or so you would hope.

The purpose of the visits was a volunteer survey to determine the route and to capture reasonable image records.

We all accept a certain degree of risk in entering tunnels and the like, but the reality for this site, which is both Scheduled and Listed, is that it has reached the end of its life. Fairly safe and almost inviting for the first half from the entrance, things quickly deteriorate, especially from around 2/3 of the way in (the total measured length is 167m, much shorter than most assert it to be). At this far end, the walls, which were hurriedly and badly buttressed and a secondary arch fitted during its active life, are beginning to collapse, with clear evidence of recent movement. A very rainy winter has seen extensive damage across north Wales, be it to structures like this or much more mundane things like drystone walls.

Because this site is so easily accessible to the public, where families with young children (such as I saw yesterday) will regularly enter with no awareness of the danger they are in, I've today recommended the site owner immediately seals the tunnel from further access. They will need to consult with Cadw, the Welsh heritage body, to ensure no damage or defacement occurs during this work, regardless of the precarious situation within. Those with the idea that they are somehow able to withstand a few tens of thousands of tonnes of slate waste collapsing in on them should take a long, hard think before ignoring this situation and going in before it is sealed; the overlying tip welcomes you on the way to the eastern access.

If you find yourself being a bit cross, it's a lot better than some kids being crushed to death. A rescue or body recovery mission would be essentially impossible under the conditions that exist here.

So these are likely to be the last shots before at least a good part of the tunnel collapses, together with a reasonably accurate 'first stab' at the route plotted onto the surface - where you can see why the last 1/3 or so of the tunnel is giving way.

DSC_7084_01.jpg

DSC_7066_01.jpg

DSC_7069_01.jpg

DSC_7072_01.jpg

DSC_7079_01.jpg

DSC_7127_01.jpg

DSC_7128_01.jpg

DSC_7129_01.jpg

DSC_7130_01.jpg

DSC_7184_01.jpg

DSC_7187_01.jpg

DSC_7193_01.jpg

DSC_7202_01.jpg

DSC_7204_01.jpg

DSC_7224_01.jpg

DSC_7229_01.jpg

DSC_7234_01.jpg

dorothea_tunnel_route.jpg

DSC_7166_01.jpg

Last edited:

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report but not being funny there is a lot sketchier places as easily accessible.
I highly doubt it will be collapsed or sealed any time soon, its prob survived for 100yrs so far.
The owners "may" seal it though as that will cost them a considerable amount they will prob just resort to a sign to try to divert responsibility. what does get sealed will normally be opened up again pretty quickly.

Meso

Banned
Banned
Nice report but not being funny there is a lot sketchier places as easily accessible.
I highly doubt it will be collapsed or sealed any time soon, its prob survived for 100yrs so far.
The owners "may" seal it though as that will cost them a considerable amount they will prob just resort to a sign to try to divert responsibility. what does get sealed will normally be opened up again pretty quickly.
That may be true. But those other places are for others to deal with. On what basis do you say you "doubt it will be collapsed"? Whether or not it is closed off is for the owner. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to go in there, and I'm certainly not the first to say so.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Doesn't look like it's changed much over the past 30 years. Less glow in the dark halloween junk than about ten years ago though.

As you stuck a camera in the smaller tunnel in the North wall....did you continue up there for a gander?

Meso

Banned
Banned
Doesn't look like it's changed much over the past 30 years. Less glow in the dark halloween junk than about ten years ago though.

As you stuck a camera in the smaller tunnel in the North wall....did you continue up there for a gander?
No. A recent visit by someone asserts it's collapsed further in. I suspect I would get stuck - as did that previous visitor! I'd normally send one of the (adult) kids in, but it's the wrong cost:benefit analysis outcome for me with this site. I've crawled trhough drainage culverts in the past but it's rarely worth it; they're all just slate block with slab covers, nice though they are to snap.

Meso

Banned
Banned
That's a shame if it does get sealed - I walked by here last year and had no idea it even existed lol
I completely agree it's a shame. Ordinary families just out for a weekend walk and wandering in there is just disaster waiting to happen though, which is why I advised the owner block it off. The wall reinforcement failure near the end is very recent.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That may be true. But those other places are for others to deal with. On what basis do you say you "doubt it will be collapsed"? Whether or not it is closed off is for the owner. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to go in there, and I'm certainly not the first to say so.
On that basis, you'd probably advise most people to not go into the places they've posted reports on on the forum.

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
I feel like dealing it off or collapsing it wouldn’t be the best bet as it’s just removing history, I get that it’s a hazard to anyone unaware of the danger, but even then by that argument you may as well knock down every disused building or tunnel slightly available to the public

At the end of the day, if you’re going to waltz into a tunnel that looks as decrepit as that, you’ve got to accept the risk, same as any of us do when exploring

If there’s no warning signs about then yes that’s on the owner of course, but the tunnel shouldn’t be destroyed based on negligence. Besides like Bikin said, there’s a LOT sketchier places just wide open for the public, hell some places with wide open tunnels near me are public footpaths that are regularly used, it adds flair in my opinion :D

Meso

Banned
Banned
I feel like dealing it off or collapsing it wouldn’t be the best bet as it’s just removing history, I get that it’s a hazard to anyone unaware of the danger, but even then by that argument you may as well knock down every disused building or tunnel slightly available to the public

At the end of the day, if you’re going to waltz into a tunnel that looks as decrepit as that, you’ve got to accept the risk, same as any of us do when exploring

If there’s no warning signs about then yes that’s on the owner of course, but the tunnel shouldn’t be destroyed based on negligence. Besides like Bikin said, there’s a LOT sketchier places just wide open for the public, hell some places with wide open tunnels near me are public footpaths that are regularly used, it adds flair in my opinion :D
You've moved on far beyond what I said in the OP. The tunnel should be blocked off - perhaps the term 'seal' was the source of confusion? I never said nor suggested it should be "destroyed". The tunnel cannot be destroyed (nor damaged nor defaced - tell that to your average weekend 'urban explorer' who scribbles and scratches on everything in sight) because it is a Grade II Listed Building and further protected by Scheduling. Even blocking it off will need consent and careful implementation, as a result of these protections. Old structures built to last a few years can't reasonably be expected to remain safe forever, however much people may wish to spice up their lives with a bit of weekend danger.

Meso

Banned
Banned

Where did I say the tunnel should be "destroyed"? Sealing doesn't mean destruction. It's legally protected by Listing and Scheduling. I suggested it should be blocked to prevent casual public access. It's sometimes the case that 'at your own risk' access by more experienced people can still be arranged to such sites. I doubt that will be the case here, though.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A sign or fencing off usually just makes people more intrigued as to whats in there, thats why they get ripped off all the time.

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
Where did I say the tunnel should be "destroyed"? Sealing doesn't mean destruction. It's legally protected by Listing and Scheduling. I suggested it should be blocked to prevent casual public access. It's sometimes the case that 'at your own risk' access by more experienced people can still be arranged to such sites. I doubt that will be the case here,

That was on me sorry, I misunderstood the post and I apologise.

Even then though, sealing it off would just encourage people to check it out from what I’ve seen, I’ve seen tunnels or doorways smashed open just to get inside, you can’t keep people out, just try and divert

If they put signs saying ‘dangerous structure’ or ‘unstable’ or something along those lines, that’s probably the best you could do as it doesn’t play with people’s curiosity, and lets them know it’s open, but it’s not safe either. Putting fences up or sealing it off just encourages people to check it out more

I’ve done all sorts of wacky stuff and even then, if something looks unstable or has warning signs around it, I’ll avoid it and so do most people I know who like to explore

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
What the hell are you on about ! Are you talking about the same place you have posted photos of ?? Seriously ?!?!

I think you should leave the thing alone and not go back yourself ! People like you ruin our heritage! Honest just leave it the F**k alone